It's Official! I asked Zager for a Refund

jtjpilot

• Members

So I did it. After a couple weeks of going back and forth and playing as many other guitars as possible, I have made the decision to return my Zager and get a Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Cutaway. Not that anyone really cares but here is the email I sent to them:

Hi Dennis:

I would like to thank you for all your help you have given be with my ZAD 80ce. You have gone out of your way to help me and that is one of the reasons why Zager is such a great company. If you don't remember, I had the buzzing issues with my guitar and you sent out a shim. I installed it and it helped a great bunch but not 100%. I still notice some buzzing. I have been adjusting the truss rod (no more than 1/4 turn at a time and then giving it a few days) with no success. At this point, I have made the decision that I would like to return the guitar and case for a refund. Please let me know what the process is so we can move forward with the return.

Thank you again for everything, because of your customer service and guarantee I will always recommend your guitars to anyone who asks.

Thank you,

John

Fingers crossed! I hope they don't come back with some B/S reason why I can't return it. I'm still not sure if i'm making the right decision. Maybe buyers remorse is already setting in due to the fact that the Gibson costs so darn much more!!!

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I got a reply within 10 minutes. Check it out!!!

Hi John,

I will help you...no worries. When was your original purchase? For some reason I cannot find your name during the last 60 days. If I'm correct I show that you made your original purchase over 1 year ago. We have a lifetime warranty on all of our guitars and we will fix your guitar for life but we cannot do a return on a guitar that where the original purchase was over 1 year ago. No guitar company in the world does this. (If they did they would be out of business) If you're still having a problem with your guitar we can pick it up free of charge, I will have Denny fix it free of charge and we will return it free of charge. No other guitar company offers this type of warranty work and this might be why our guitars receiving higher ratings then the 4 largest guitar producers combined but we always take care of our customers.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Warmest regards, Dennis Zager Jr.

and then I got this without even responding to his email:

Hi John,

Denny and I are in the recording studio working late tonight and I ran

your situation past him. He said if you are truly unhappy with your

guitar we will accept it back. As almost all of our business these days

comes from referral we want our customers happy...even if you've used it

for a year we'll cover all costs. No harm done either way. As this is

Denny's last year producing guitars we have customers waiting for even

the used ones.

I will have my assistant email you a UPS return label first thing

tomorrow morning. In this way you can hand it to any UPS driver and

they will bring it back to us free of charge to you. Feel free to keep

all the extra goodies...all we need is the guitar.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Warmest regards, Dennis Zager Jr.

I love it!!! "Recording studio working late tonight." Too funny. That little Indonisian kid who is responding after hours is good!

• Members

Yeah, they were recording the new smash one hit wonder, "Up the butt 24-7."

At least you will still have the Zager and Evans autographed photo, and T- Shirt.

Good luck with your Gibson. That's a sweet guitar.

+1

Geez...that comment about you using your git for a year.....like putting up with buzz for a year is normal git usage??

And how generous...you get to keep the other goodies. {insert sarcasm}

I'm sure the T-shirt makes a handy wipe rag for your car's oil dipstick. ;)

• Members

I think everyone knows how I feel about Z@ger marketing and bogus claims. But if he is accepting a return for full refund, after a full year, then lets give the devil his due. That is way beyond good service, it borders on insane policy.

WHen you said you were returning a year old guitar for refund, I thought to myself that you were going to get quite a surprise. I take back nothing about the marketing, the hype, or the pricing, but this is exceptional. Hats off to good customer service.

Don't misunderstand - I wouldn't own a Z@ger - priced too high, can only have extra light strings, deceptive marketing etc.

• Members

. Not that anyone really cares......

Not true, JT, we care very much. I think what every one on this forum wants is for every player to have a guitar that they are satisfied with. I hope Mr Zager follows through with the the return and that you find a Gibbie that makes you very happy.

• Members

I think everyone knows how I feel about Z@ger marketing and bogus claims. But if he is accepting a return for full refund, after a full year, then lets give the devil his due. That is way beyond good service, it borders on insane policy.

WHen you said you were returning a year old guitar for refund, I thought to myself that you were going to get quite a surprise. I take back nothing about the marketing, the hype, or the pricing, but this is exceptional. Hats off to good customer service.

Don't misunderstand - I wouldn't own a Z@ger - priced too high, can only have extra light strings, deceptive marketing etc.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts.

• Members

Not true, JT,
we care very much. I think what every one on this forum wants is for every player to have a guitar that they are satisfied with.
I hope Mr Zager follows through with the the return and that you find a Gibbie that makes you very happy.

+10000

• Members

Well I'll come right out and say it!

Zaggers been tipped to this forum, reads how much he is liked, then offers great customer service just to show how warm he feels?

If said story is true then Zagger made a business decision. Good for him.

• Members

+1

Geez...that comment about you using your git for a year.....like putting up with buzz for a year is normal git usage??

And how generous...you get to keep the other goodies. {insert sarcasm}

I'm sure the T-shirt makes a handy wipe rag for your car's oil dipstick.
;)

It didn't buzz the whole time I had it. It would only buzz when from about the 6th fret on up. Oh well, the return shipping label is on the way and now its time to see how low some music shops wanna go on the Gibson I want!

• Members

That's pretty impressive service. Maybe for some people who don't have a clue how to go about buying a guitar, let alone setting one up properly, paying $600 for a $300 guitar isn't all that bad a deal. I know that might sound like it's ladened with sarcasm, but I'm really serious. Getting that kind of service, getting a playable instrument, and helping learing to play guitar an enjoyable experience just may be worth a premium price.

How many people go into a store, buy something off the wall (or out of the box) for a few hundred $$ from some kid who doesn't know or care, and the thing sits in the corner unplayed, because it's basically unplayable?

I've read the Zager threads (or at least enough of them to know I'll never own one), and know there isn't a lot of love for them around here, but I'm all for giving them a break.

• Members

I cannot think of a situation in which I would recommend a Z@ger. They are far over priced. Better is to have the person buying the $200 guitar spend another $30 for a good set up. I cannot justify paying several hundred extra for a set up under any circumstance.

But - even though the product is overpriced (by a LOT), the service is to be commended.

• Members

Putting all the negative issues a side, the one thing that did impress me the most was Zager customer service. I don't know of any guitar manufacturer, distributor or retail sales outlet that can match this customer service at any price!

• Members

Well, Im not ready to pick out curtains with Denny. I remember a friend who used to buy a new Cadillac every year (back when Caddys were still cool). He would always go to the same dealer and always overpaid by thousands of dollars. I would always tell him he was overpaying, and his reply was that it was worth it to him because the dealer would pick his car up, leave a loaner and go change the oil (also for an exorbitant charge), and the service was worth the price paid.

Well, you arent getting service - you are paying for service. You pay for it up front in the guitars price. when each guitar is marked up twice what it should be, anyone (DZ or anyone else) can afford to throw a few bones for goodwill. It is good marketing and PR - something else with both a price and a budget.

DZ is losing nothing in the deal - if he sells the returned guitar at half price, he still is making money. It is a discretionary adjustment that will be written of to good will and he will even get to deduct from his taxes.

That is the cold reality. I still say to give the devil his due - he could have said to just go away, and many others would have. But then others don't have a crazy mark-up to support such generosity.

Even though the devil gets his due, he is still the devil.

There is an old saying: One "oh {censored}" wipes out a thousand "atta boy"s. Lets not get that reversed. There is only one "atta boy" on the ledger.

• Members

Putting all the negative issues a side, the one thing that did impress me the most was Zager customer service. I don't know of any guitar manufacturer, distributor or retail sales outlet that can match this customer service at any price!

Actually, this is the way a business that only deals with mail order should work. If you can't try it in a store there better be a pretty liberal return policy. Carvin has it, Zager should too.

• Members

Actually, this is the way a business that only deals with mail order should work. If you can't try it in a store there better be a pretty liberal return policy. Carvin has it, Zager should too.

This is Carvin's policy:

"The only way to appreciate the performance of a Carvin product is to use it in your own environment, giving it the test of "real world" performance. Take 10 days to try out Carvin products.

Your trial period starts when the merchandise is received by you, not when it's shipped. Really give it a workout. If you're not satisfied for any reason, send it back for a prompt refund or exchange - you would only be responsible for the shipping."

-10 days only.

-Customer pays for shipping.

• Members

I had this bicycle when I was eight it was stolen by a mean fat kid it got hit by a truck (the bike not the mean fat kid) I had repressed this memory for many years because it was traumatic I loved my bike it was red and shiny anyways something reminded me of it last week and I didn't have the bike anymore but I dug the horn out of my garage and I sent it to Denny and he sent me a new bicycle with EZ-Peddle he is my friend and knows luthiery and kung fu my new bike is shiny.

• Members

I think the Zager folks should be complimented!

I'm more and more amazed---and appreciative---of excellent product service. I play tennis and string racquets, and the people who provide service for my Klippermate stringer do an exceptional job: I ALWAYS speak highly of them.

Looks like the same needs to be said for Zager Guitars.:thu:

• Members

Well, off it goes. They sent me a shipping label today via email and I packed it off and sent it away! Zager customer service can't be beat by anyone in the industry, hands down. I mean really, I played the guitar for a year and then decided to return it!!!! My refund will be given as soon as they recieve the guitar, hopefully (and I'm confident this won't happen) they don't pull some kind of.."well we are going to have to take off $40 for this and $50 for that, blah blah blah." Only time will tell! Watch out all you Gibson sales people, I've taken a Dave Ramsey class so I know how to bargain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol::lol:

Archived