Harp Uke

Stackabones

• Members

There's a guy who occasionally plays at the open-mic I used to co-host (lost our venue, searching for a new one) who built a solid-bodied a/e harp-uke that has a seperate UST for the 7-string harp part...he runs that UST into an octave divider, thus giving a nice bass line to his finger picking.

Several of us have requested that he put up a Youtube video or two (particularily his version of Somewhere My Love), but I don't know if he has yet...his name is Dylan McAlester and it'd be worth the trouble to check, from time to time.

• Members

There is a folk music store, The Claremont Folk Music Center, that I go to every once and awhile that had one in there store. It was cool but a little too much for my tastes. The bridge was shaped like a dolphin and there were other dolphins all over it. They wanted $5000 for it!

• Members

Check here for a revue at Uke Hunt (what a name..) http://ukulelehunt.com/2011/01/21/anuenue-harp-ukulele-window-shopping/ Al says probably in the 1000 dollar range, not too bad.

I kinda like it. Pete Howlett is a fine luthier, I'm not sure how much input he has in this, if it's his design or if he's over seeing production. I can't imagine he'd be making them for that price.

Here's another harp uke in action, but without the bass strings, an old Knutsen.

[video=youtube;kA75EJYBzS4]

girls.jpg

• Members

:confused:

I get the impression that, deep down inside, ukulele players who would buy this really want a guitar.

That's sort of what got me interested in vintage parlor guitars. I liked the idea of a small instrument, and the parlors were less expensive and sounded better to me than ukes. Some of them only weigh a couple of pounds, so I can carry it around and chase people with it while I try to serenade them.

One of them was even strung for Nashville tuning, so you could probably play in an uke's frequency range if you wanted to.

Archived