NGD/NGBD: Epiphone Zephyr Regent & Mono Acoustic Gig Bag

Stackabones

• Members

I've put this off because I just can't get a good pic, so I'll post some online ones to give you an idea. As soon as I can get a good pic, I'll post it. But I do have a clip!

NGD

Epiphone Zephyr Regent (2004)

zephyr.jpg

'Deed I Do

(click to listen)

I'd been thinking about getting an Epiphone ES-175 Reissue, but the ZepReg popped up at Elderly around Christmas Eve and I decided to use my Christmas tips and gift cards to get it. Though used, it's in stellar shape. Hardly played as far as I can tell. I had to get a setup. Decided on Thomastik-Infeld Swing Flats (11 gauge). Great strings, and I'll probably go a gauge or two heavier in the future. I've already swapped out the 11 for a 12.

Specs are just like most Epis, and here are the details from Elderly. I love the short-scale neck and the narrow fingerboard. I'm no stranger to Epiphone, for I own a Shertaon II that I got back in the 90s that has served me well. So far I dig the pup and I probably won't upgrade.

Acoustic sound is nice, dark, and mellow. It has that archtop midrange punch, but not very aggressive at all. Heavier gauge string would give it a louder sound and perhaps bring out other tonal colors. Love the electric sound. I'm a big fan of humbuckers, and I love the elegance of just one pup.

Note on the recording. I used my Zoom H4n with the 4-channel setting for the first time. You can plug in up to two instruments while using the onboard mic. When plugging in one instrument, it only plugs in one side of the stereo channel. There may be a way to get it to go stereo, so I'll need to read up. I fiddled with the balance in GarageBand for a quick fix mix. In this recording, you'll hear my voice and the acoustic sound from the ZR in one side and the plugged-in sound of the ZR from the other side.

NGBD

Mono M80 Acoustic Guitar Case

m80_ad_blk_1_600px__18989_zoom.jpg

I've been looking for a sturdy, dependable gig bag for my acoustics and for this hollow body. I'm always getting in and out of my car with my guitar for lessons and going to gigs etc. Carrying around a big ole honking hardshell wears a body out! Did some serious shopping for this, and I feel it's worth every cent. It makes my day-to-day and night-to-night git lugging so much easier.

This

also helped convince me.

It works great with my acoustics and my Washburn HB15 (a thinline archtop), and with the ZR (though it's a just a wee bit snug). I'm not so sure that the Epi would fit if it were a 25"+ scale instrument.

• Members

Wow! Sweet guitar Stack! :love:

I see the one on eBay is already over $600! :eek: I can buy the Epi ES-175 re-issue here brand new for less than that. In fact I did try one out but it had a bad fret that caused the 1st string to fret out up around the 12th fret. Too bad because otherwise it'd be a stellar guitar. I wish I had the cash for one. When I do... I either want that or the Emperor Regent but it has a longer scale length and it's also $200 more. I like the Emperor because it has just one floating pickup and the controls are on the pickguard.

epi-emperor%20nat.jpg

• Members

I thought about the Emperor Regent for a while, and it's still a future consideration! Gorgeous guitar, and I'd love to play one.

Go back to that Epi ES175 and dial up the treble side of the bridge. When I got the Zeff, it fretted out on the first string around 9th to 11th frets. Just dialed it up and it was cool.

• Members

I thought about the Emperor Regent for a while, and it's still a future consideration! Gorgeous guitar, and I'd love to play one.

Go back to that Epi ES175 and dial up the treble side of the bridge. When I got the Zeff, it fretted out on the first string around 9th to 11th frets. Just dialed it up and it was cool.

yeah I figured that a proper bridge height and neck adjustment was probably all that was needed too. I have played the Emperor and it's really sweet. It has that old archtop vibe and sound goin on. I have seen them on the YouTube with the pup replaced with one of better quality but personally I just play my stuff stock. I just really want a good hollow body archtop because I feel it brings the qualities of both the acoustic and electric sound together making it's own unique sound. It's apparent especially on the song you uploaded. It has a realy nice mellow tone but still a hint of "acousticness to it".

Archived