Can anyone help me compare? Seagull vs. Martin?

Crxsh

• Members

A couple of guitars on Craigslist. Similar prices, but looking for the best I can get on a budget.

Seagull S6... all wood. Nice case. >$300

Martin 000x1... wood top, HPL sides and back. Auditorium size. Nicer case.

Thoughts? Anyone familiar with either of these?

• Members

The Martin X receive not much love and I do not know, why. Maybe, it's because they are at the bottom of the Martin foodchain? Dunno, but they are fine and capable instruments. If you tend to be a bit sloppy in your guitar handling, those X's can really take a beating.

• Members

The Martin X receive not much love and I do not know, why. Maybe, it's because they are at the bottom of the Martin foodchain? Dunno, but they are fine and capable instruments. If you tend to be a bit sloppy in your guitar handling, those X's can really take a beating.

I agree, but if the time ever came that you wanted to resell it, I think the Seagull would sell quicker. I see a lot more X series Martins than Seagulls on Craig's List. And the X Martins stay on the list for awhile too. The Seagulls don't seem to last long before someone buys them. JMO.

• Members

They are two totally different guitars. Different materials, different body sizes, different neck widths. I'd get to a music store just try similar sized models just to see what fits you best, then worry about the materials. Try a Seagull if you can find one. They have a very wide neck.

My inclination would be to pick the Seagull. That's just me. I'd normally always pick the Martin, but in this case I just can't get past a formica guitar.

• Members

A couple of guitars on Craigslist. Similar prices, but looking for the best I can get on a budget.

Seagull S6... all wood. Nice case. >$300

Martin 000x1... wood top, HPL sides and back. Auditorium size. Nicer case.

Thoughts? Anyone familiar with either of these?

The Seagull S6 has a solid cedar top (unless it says S6 + spruce) but laminated back and sides. I have one, the S6 Folk (a bit smaller than the dreadnought) and I like it a lot.

It's not an all solid wood guitar though, but at that price we don't expect that!

Both are different guitars with different necks and both probably sound very different.

Do you want a full size guitar (dreadnought) or a smaller one (000) ???

Do you want to fingerpick or strum loud chords???

Don't rush you decision. Just decide on what you need first!

Edit: like Sangemon told you, the S6 has a wide neck unless it's the S6 Slim which has a thinner neck. http://www.seagullguitars.com/productoriginalslim.htm

• Members

How can that be? According to the Seagull site:

Misleading?

No, it's not misleading. The sides and back iare made of a 3 ply, laminate cherry wood. It would say "solid" if it was made of solid cherry wood - it would also cost 2 to 3 times as much.

• Members

Most of the comments are right on track. Everyone on this list could tell you to go with the Seagull, but if it doesn't fit you right, then it is the wrong guitar for you. Don't rush it. Like it was suggested above, go check out similar models at a music store. Then you will know. Both are decent guitars for the money. The choice comes down to personal preference.

• Members

You are considering two guitars that have very little in common with each other.

The Seagull is a dread body.

The Martin is an 000 body.

You need to know what size guitar you want before shopping for one. I recommend that you buy one from a local store.

• Members

No, it's not misleading. The sides and back iare made of a 3 ply, laminate cherry wood. It would say "solid" if it was made of solid cherry wood - it would also cost 2 to 3 times as much.

Good to know. Thanks.

• Members

Most of the comments are right on track. Everyone on this list could tell you to go with the Seagull, but if it doesn't fit you right, then it is the wrong guitar for you. Don't rush it. Like it was suggested above, go check out similar models at a music store. Then you will know. Both are decent guitars for the money. The choice comes down to personal preference.

^ Good advice.

• Members

I own both guitars so can comment on the tonal comparisons. I've been a Seagull and other Godins player for many years and am very familiar with their tones and feel. As already said, the tones between the Seagull and the Martin are quite different. The Seagull dread will have a very nice brighter jangle to it. I would say it is Taylor-ish, but they really have a sound all their own. Solid cedar top and lam. cherry back and sides - shorter 24.84" scale which really makes a difference in feel from a 25.5" scale length guitar. The Martin 000X1 is a smaller guitar and quite comfortable in the lap. Yes, it is a formica back and sides with a solid sitka spruce top. If you can get past the fact that it is formica back and sides (they use a simulated mahogany wood grain pattern), it really is a great guitar. It also has the stratabond neck which some players love it and some hate it. It looks very cool, but some say that it doesn't wear very well. Mine is a 2007 model and is holding strong so far. The tone is more traditional, as is with Martin. It is not as complex a tone as an all solid wood Martin but, still has the Martin characteristics and is very balanced throughout the tonal spectrum with a fatter high end than the Godins. I am actually surprised how much low end this guitar has. The 000X1 is a 25.5" scale length, so will feel different from the Seagull. The Seagull has a 1.8" nut width and the Martin a 1 11/16" nut width. Both are great guitars and I love them both. In all I would say - if you like to have a nice smooth jangling sound go with the Seagull. If you would rather have some grit and thump, go with the Martin.

• Members

I forgot - about the prices. The S6 new can be had for $399 with case from some sellers, so unless the used Seagull is in mint condition, that price may be a bit high. Under $300 for the 000X1 seems like a pretty good price to me. The retail on the Martin new is higher than the Seagull new.

• Members

I've played the Martin 000x1 a few times. The bottom line is it sounds like a Martin and plays like one too. I've convinced a couple of aspiring players to buy it, and, to my knowledge, they have been very happy.

I'm not a fan of Seagull guitars. I've played a few and tried to see the point, but failed.

That's just me though. :)

• Members

I forgot - about the prices. The S6 new can be had for $399 with case from some sellers, so unless the used Seagull is in mint condition, that price may be a bit high. Under $300 for the 000X1 seems like a pretty good price to me. The retail on the Martin new is higher than the Seagull new.

Seagull price is $250.

• Members

The Seagull still has low end, just a different low end. The Seagull low end is more tight whereas the Martin low end is more open, IMO. Martin guitars are known for being boomers - especially in their larger dread sized bodies. If you were to play a Martin dread and then a Seagull dread you would hear this very much. Some players consider the Martin dread low end to be too much and others are looking exactly for that boom. The Seagull dread will be more balanced across the tonal spectrum - even bass, mids, and brighter trebles. Now, the Martin smaller body guitars, such as the 000 sizes, are not as bass heavy as their dreads. They are more balanced, but still retain the Martin characteristics. Expect a more balanced bass, but also expect fatter highs, not as jangly. With the Seagull, expect balanced bass and mids, but more jangly highs. I hope this helps.

Ok, if the Seagull is les than $300 then it is a good price. You showed the Seagull with the greater-than sign and the Martin with the less-than sign in the original post :)

• Members

They are two totally different guitars. Different materials, different body sizes, different neck widths. I'd get to a music store just try similar sized models just to see what fits you best, then worry about the materials

Bingo.

Personally don't like Seagull guitars, hate the neck, and the headstock is....Ughhh.

But alot of people on this forum love 'em.

Want a cheap dred with electronics that sounds better than both? Cort Earth 100f. Working mans guitar. I was using a $1,000 guitar for stage, and have kept the Cort as my back-up. A few months ago I re-strung it and the damn thing sounds better than most of my guitars!

FWIW I play 5-6 nights a week full time since 1998. . Been through a bunch of guitars

• Members

Ask the person selling if they shall tke off say $40.6648 or something similar in money from the Seagull as thats all you can afford

worth a try he may say ye or he may say a slightly lower cut price off ?

because in my own experience people selling often think some folks shall ask for a reduced price

and therefor they put an extra little on the price they expect its a gd ploy which i also use when both selling or buying

its so as to get what they also are happy enough with and worth an ask.. as u get nothing not asking ;)

Also maybe best to try both guitars out in a store to see how they feel and sound for you 1st ?

only thing is with such the guitar/s may be sold by then ?

But then again you dont need to buy the guitar if u feel when trying it out 1stly before u part with cash

that it isnt the one for you remember your also allowed after trying the guitar out to say

youll just leave it for now ..As for the seagulls headstock :love: them as they are just different than others

the pointy headstock is a Seagull trademark and to me theyre :cool:

• Members

Seagull is an unusual guitar. The quality is extremely high for its price, and the sound is terrific. But the geometry is also unusual, and you should try it first. My first real guitar was a Seagull M6. It's a fine guitar and it's the one I currently use when taking lessons. I thought it sounded shockingly like the Taylor 310, which cost twice as much.

The new Ms can be purchased in all solid woods for about $700, which is extraordinary, given Seagull's quality.

I'm sure the Martin isn't crappy because Martin doesn't make crap. The company is protective of its very prestigious brand. Face it, without the Martin name, you wouldn't be considering this purchase, given the Martin's materials. I think Seagull puts a much greater emphasis on this part of its product line. It has great woods and great build quality. Martin's reputation is not built on the quality of its low end; Seagull's is. I think that if you play them, and enjoy Seagull's 1.8" neck, the choice would be clear.

Archived