What's the verdict on the Recording King ROS-06?

Stackabones

• Members

I know someone's posted on this before or owns one or something. Gotta have some love 'round here for a 12-fret slothead on a Yamaha budget. C'mon $250? Is it really worth it? Itchin', y'all!

ROS06.jpg

Solid sitka top. Hog back n sides. Rosie board. Bone nut & saddle.

Whatcha know?

• Members

Cool. Let's see what Ed, or anyone, knows.

So you really dug it? Do you have other 12 fretters?

I did Chris. Really liked the 1 13/16 nut. It inspired me to come home and take the octave strings off my Martin DM12 and spend some time with a wider nut. I'm getting addicted to it. I was going to sell the Martin cause I never played it. Now it's like having a new guitar.

Still have the Epi AJ500 12 fret, cedar top, slot head and still love it.

• Members

Comfortable and fun to play with the body width and the 12 frets and has decent tone and volume. Set-up fairly low with a wide neck (13/16" nut) as Gitnoob mentioned. Wider than an S6 original if you've ever played one but that's a plus in my case.

Somethings though mine has some minor flaws in the finish (light smudge and a few specks) and had to level one of the frets due to buzzing. I had forgotten about this but as mentioned in the review some pinging which was ultimately solved by smoothing the nut slots with 320 grit. Also I have to agree about the tuners not being that great they bind and require attention occasionally.

Still specifically for what it is I think it's a decent value but no Yamaha that's for sure ...

• Members

Thanks for chiming in, Ed! I couldn't find your review, and I appreciate your recap.

I've just put new strings on one of my favorite guitars, a no-name acoustic archie, and realized that I love it's wide nut -- 1-3/4". So I'm thinking I want to go wide!

• Members

Ed, I think that Epi is too much like my Morgan Monroe MV-01. I love Epi necks and nuts, but that one's too narrow for what I'm considering at this time. Along the lines of the Epi, have you seen this? I've read great things.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SGT110VS-SAGE-SERIES-Acoustic-Guitar-?sku=512325

It seems like I'm always looking for sub-$300 gits. They are perfect for my teaching. I don't worry about them going in and out of all kinds of weather & temperature changes or students kicking over music stands on them, etc. :lol:

Archived