Yamaha Eterna??.......

Opa John

• Members

Are these any good? Found this one locally on CL. When I checked Ebay, I saw one and the logo on the headstock says "Eterna by Yamaha". To me, that's kinda like saying "Maestro by Gibson", or "Sigma by Martin". I'm trying to find out anything I can about these. Seller says it's "solid"....that could mean anything....enlighten me. What's it worth?

http://columbus.craigslist.org/msg/2289804841.html

• Like 1

• 8 years later...
  • Members

I just bought one today for $90.10. It came with a hard shell case.
It also has a broken neck that was glued back together but seems to be holding fine.

The frets are tough to reach from the 7th fret higher but it is what it is.
Had I looked it up on my phone before buying it I never would have bought it but, I did and now it's mine so I need to play it and write a few more songs.

It's not so much the quality of the instrument but how it is played. I think I make it sound fine broken neck and all.
There is a reason it came to me and a reason a music store only had one classical guitar available for sale but dozens of electrics and acounstics.

She's mine now and I'm going to make her sing and she's going to sound just fine.

They only thing missing is a name but it will come in time.

Reno

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I just came across an old one of these that a friend had. I'm sure it's not worth much at all, when it was likely under $100 new 20 years ago or whenever it was new, but I came to really like playing on it and the sound of it somehow (and I have other $1000+ classical guitars, though unfortunately where I've been in lockdown I don't have them here to compare directly). These things can be very much a matter of taste. Like others said, it's not particularly great for playing in the high frets, but that's not usually a problem - I use a capo a lot and and still it's not really an issue. If it's coming with a hard shell case then you probably can't go wrong for $85 in any case - if you decide to get something better later, you've still got a hard case for a pretty cheap price that you can use with the new guitar.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

I have an Eterna my wife bought me out of a pawn shop for 100.00 about 20 years ago. Not my go to guitar but I actually played it a couple of hours tonight. I have nothing  negative to say. Mine sounds great.  I have Gretsch, Seagull, and Yamaha guitars also.  The Eterna may not be as loud but action and intonation are great. 

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I found an Eterna at a consignment gallery yesterday.  It looked fine but didn't know much about it.  I asked what was the best price and was given $80 - it came with a hard case.  As I was leaving, the owner shouted, come back next month, I could probably go lower then.  I will try back then.  If it is still there and a lower price I will probably buy it.  May be a good guitar to take camping.  Glad I saw all these posts.  Thank you.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I own a Yamaha Eterna, bought it in 1986. It’s very durable, as Yamaha guitars usually are. Did a lot of traveling, for a few years, after I bought it, and it handled it well.

It has a more rocking, or folk rock, sound, as it’s more jangly, and bright, in tone, which is why the folk purists don’t like it. I love that sound, which is why I bought it. It was an excellent purchase, for $180 (with a soft case), at a local guitar store, back then, in 1986. 

It is as good, as any mid-low end Yamaha, and has served me well. It is laughable what some say, who know nothing, & sneer, & pretend to know it all. Yamaha started Eterna, in the mid ‘80’s, then discontinued it, in the 90’s. They revived it, just recently, a couple years ago. You can buy a new one now, if you want a durable, acoustic, with a bright, fluid tone.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

We should try to understand that guitarist have very different levels but we never quit learning just like photography always looking for a better shot , we buy the best camera we can afford and so do guitarist we buy what we can afford and work with it , it’s a wonderful concept !

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Members

I have an Eterna since 1995 . I believe I paid a $100.00 for it. It’s simple and have a great warm sound. I guess after all this time the wood have season the sound and I love it. Minor improvement as changing the strings and keys have made it better.

I recently bought a Cordoba but my Yamaha is the one with the memories.

It sounds as a more expensive ones. Don’t know why but it’s does. +++