Acoustic Tejano Thread

Stackabones

• Members

Lydia Mendoza on her 12-string.

[video=youtube;eFnxvWgX73Y]

Being a Texan, I practically grew up hearing this music. It's all over the radio stations (used to be only AM, but now FM), and grocery stores like Danals or Fiesta etc, and spilling out of pickup trucks, and in restaurants. For several years in the 90s, my '79 Monte Carlo (with the Virgin Mary on the dashboard) could only pick up AM radio -- and I heard tons of this music. It seems like there were more Tejano stations than even classic country stations.

I used to have a good little collection of early Tejano, but it was lost a move or two ago. Lots of guitars and accordion and cool vocal harmonies. Tejano is a result of the mixed history of South Texas -- Mexican, Polish, Czech, & German musics all coming together.

I was in a taqueria on the east side of my city and heard some Tejano, and it brought back memories.

Post something, willya?

• Members

TAH -- Oops. I made a mistake then about that. Thought it was Tony in vid. I know those tunes are his, but obviously that's not him on accordion.
;)

I see...well, slide on out and catch the two of them at the beer-barn, right by the open lot (west side of the property)...they're usually there from about 1 'til 3 or 4, depending on how the $$$ is going.

Oh, and they're both using Crate Taxi30s these days. :)

Archived