VOM 39 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, April 10, 2011

Stackabones

• Members

This is a test of a bunch of things. I got a new recorder this week (thanks LiveMusic) and a new slide (thanks NealP). So I turned the recorder on and started noodling around with the slide. Then I had to figure out how to host it, fooled around first with the VOM hosting site, then Soundclick. Those of you who have been doing this for years will laugh at me, but lets give this a try. A medly in D, Dark Was the Night, Poor Boy and Roll'n'Tumble

TriboTone on the Tricone

• Members

Wow... looks like there's already a bunch of posts just waiting for my ears! Can't wait to start listening :thu:

Title: Watch Over You

Originally By: Alter Bridge

Featuring: Guest Vocals By Paul Maua

A few months ago, I posted an instrumental rendition of this tune stating that I was one day hoping to have a 'final' version complete with some vocals. Well, flash forward to yesterday and, with the help from a friend from halfway across the world, I now happily present the final rendition of the tune.

[video=youtube;m-nV1Tm0nKE]

• Members

Extello...That was good...enjoyed it.

Kwak...Great vocal and playing...Nice!

Fen... good ole Matilda.

masterbuilt...Love that song...pretty guitar too...

stack...you have the it factor...you sounded very cool on this.

• Members

Hello, people.

"Who Am I" by Country Joe and the Fish

1967 was a good year for several reasons, one of which was that I was 18. There was also some great music about and it was the year that the album "I Feel Like I'm Fixing To Die" was released (Give me an F . . .etc).

This song appeared on that album. Old Joe McDonald was obviously going through some tough times when he penned it but I suppose it touched something in me because it was the only song of theirs I ever learned.

Played on my 12 string, chorus fingerpicked, verses strummed with the side of my thumb. Recorded with Audacity via my computer mic in one take. Mic approx 2ft in front of me - 12 string also played through a 15 watt acosutic amp approx 6 ft behind me.

http://www.box.net/shared/07xyqqsvnv

• Members

This is one of those songs everybody says to never play at an open mic. Since this is virtual, and I don't have to watch anybody cringe, here it is in all its VOM1T glory. A number of mistakes, and missing some pieces, but I can actually play it all the way through, not just the intro ...

Drum roll ...

Stairway to Heaven.

One take. Got a few warts. Recording equipment didn't cooperate exactly as I hoped, yada yada. Enjoy!

• Members

Well, by my clock it's almost closing time ... but you know what? If it's still Second Sunday where you live, keep posting. Even it's a bit past Second Sunday and Monday Morning is blinking its bright eyes in your face ...

post 'em if you got 'em!

The mic is still on if you need it ...

• Members

"Christmas in Prison" John Prine

Sorry guys I'm a day late and a dollar short.

I did "Christmas in Prison" by John Prine.

It was Christmas in prison

And the food was real good

We had turkey and pistols

Carved out of wood

And I dream of her always

Even when I don't dream

Her name's on my tongue

And her blood's in my stream.

[Chorus:]

Wait awhile eternity

Old mother nature's got nothing on me

Come to me

Run to me

Come to me, now

We're rolling

My sweetheart

We're flowing

By God!

She reminds me of a chess game

With someone I admire

Or a picnic in the rain

After a prairie fire

Her heart is as big

As this whole goddamn jail

And she's sweeter than saccharine

At a drug store sale.

[Chorus]

The search light in the big yard

Swings round with the gun

And spotlights the snowflakes

Like the dust in the sun

It's Christmas in prison

There'll be music tonight

I'll probably get homesick

I love you. Goodnight.

[Chorus]

• Members

I'm not online on the weekends so this was really nice to wake up to this morning in my otherwise early morning quiet office with my first cup of coffee.

Congratulations to all on your submissions this month and thanks for the music. :thu:

• Members

Here's one I've been working on........

The Grinding Wheel

Did this version with wo mics, one take........figured it to be a demo for something I could work up in the studio but I think I might just leave it as it is. Played it on the old Kalamazoo again.

I'm looking forward to a good hour or so of listening later in the day when everybody gets posted up.
:wave:

lenny, that was really cool...very nice!!

• Members

Last week was a bear. Very busy. Nice to come back to the VOM1T.

extollo: Cool. :cool: Haunting but good listening.

tbryson: Well done. Shows that something good can sometimes come out of tragedy.

kwakatak: Very well done. I could listen to you all day. :thu:

Fendouglas: Nice job. Depresing but so is life sometimes . . .

masterbuilt: Nice job but it sounded a bit like it was in too high a key. :idk:

Stackabones: Great job as usual. Makes me kinda sad to think I'll never be able to play lead.

Terry Allan Hall: Nice job. Great that you're keeping those old songs going. :thu:

Etienne Rambert: Really cool. :cool: Love that vintage vibe.

skatalite: Not bad but IMHO the distorted gutiar part didn't add anything and actually detracted from my enjoyment of the song.

Michael Martin: Well done. Moody and contemplative.

LeonardScraper: Great job and nice original. That old Kalamazoo sounds great too.

g6120: Great job.

BlackHatHunter: Nice job. Digging the ukulele. I gotta get mom's uke fixed up and start playing it.

Oldskool Texas: Great job. Well written and performed. Loved the vocals.

totamus: Nice job. Great picking.

TSMusic: Nice job.

Freeman Keller: Nice job. Great playing. Well above my usual level of "noodling."

FussenKuh: Very nice. Paul's vocals were very good. Ain't the Internet wonderful?

garthman: Nice job. Thanks for the "blast from the past." I haven't heard Country Joe and the Fish in years.

sixgunner455: Not gonna complain. I can't even play it.

kujozilla: Nice job.

• Members

Last week was a bear. Very busy. Nice to come back to the VOM1T.

masterbuilt: Nice job but it sounded a bit like it was in too high a key.
:idk:

I had a cold all week and my vocals weren't up to my usual. Nonetheless, I gave it a shot after some encouragement from other forumites.

• Members

Just starting to scratch the surface of the VOM... Thanks to everyone who checked out my submission this month! And, yes DeepEnd, the Internet is, indeed, a wonderful thing. Thanks for the feedback :)

extollo - YouTube is very wise... lullaby was one of the first thoughts that entered my head when I watched the video

tbryson - Very nice work, sir! The xylophone was a nice touch :thu:

kwakatak - I could never quite get into DMB, but, it's hard not to be familiar with this tune. I'd say you did it justice and I'd gladly exchange your 'questionable' vocal pitch for mine any day ;)

That's all for now... Thanks for the great music folks!

Archived