VOM 39 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, April 10, 2011

Stackabones

• Members

Absentee Postings

extollo Comments:

short instrumental based on a phrase that uses all 12 tones. when i uploaded it to youtube one of the suggested tags was 'lullaby'. that's actually appropriate.

tab:
http://www.box.net/shared/a9lbsa6v2r

Absentee Post from:
extollo

Title:
spring pitch sequence

Credits:
jb

tbryson Comments:

Something that I was working on with a 2 chord sus thingy and the tradgedy in Japan happened and I started fitting pieces togehter. It became kind of meaningful for more than that.Fingerstyle acoustic with a xylophone...

They will see again

Earth shakes

Walls break

Under midnight skies

Ocean rolls

Winds blow

Into blinded eyes

Chorus

They will see again

It is not the end

The light is near

Nothing to fear

Verse

Earth mends

Walls bend

Under sun lit skies

Water moves

Winds soothe

Vision magnified

Chorus

Bridge

Across the world is a new surge

In the light, we all will emerge

Across the world is a new word

In the light all will be answered

Chorus

Absentee Post from:
tbryson

Title:
The will see again

Credits:
Tbry 2011

kwakatak Comments:

I got the bug to give this one a try when Misha recently asked how to play it without her hands cramping up. Normally it's to be played in standard tuning but the droning E5 chord with walking bass line can be pretty difficult to play for 5+ minutes. My solution was to tune to open G (DGDGBD) and put a capo on the 2nd fret. It's still not the exact same arrangement and my vocal pitch is questionable in places but at least it's been fun to play around with.

Absentee Post from:
kwakatak

Title:
Crash Into Me

Credits:
Dave Matthews

Fendouglas Comments:

Once again I failed miserably to upload this to the VOM Hosting App - maybe the files too large - or,then again, might be the accent!

Anyway this month's submission is (yet another) favourite of mine - written by Eric Bogle it commemorates ANZAC Day (which falls on 25th April) and also the WWI battle of Gallipoli. But it can apply to any conflict (and Lord knows we've got plenty to choose from!)

Absentee Post from:
Fendouglas

Title:
The Band Played Waltzing Matilda

Credits:
Eric Bogle

• Members

[video=youtube;79qrQaM0rfs]

An old Child Ballad, #286, (circa 1630s or thereabouts) and wrung through the folk process over the past 375+ years...I first learned this from an old mountain woman, up in the Arkansas Ozarks, in 1971, who accompanied herself on a mountain dulcimer...and have since heard a few more versions from Scotland and Northern England, both in 1975, and even a version from Zaire (currently called the Democratic Republic of the Congo) during my time in the Peace Corps, back in 1977...each with it's own "flavor", and so, in the folk tradition, I've incorporated pieces of all those versions into this version.

Here are the words, in case you'd like to sing along:

There was a ship that sailed, upon the Lowland Sea

And the name of this ship was the Gallant Vanity

We feared she would be captured by the Spanish enemy

As we sailed upon the Lowlands, Lowlands,

We sailed upon the Lowland Sea

Then up jumped our youngest mate and boldly upspoke he

And he said to our good Captain, "What will you make my fee"

If I swim through the waters to the Spanish enemy

And sink her in the Lowland, Low land

If I sink her in the lowland sea?"

Oh, I will give you diamonds and buckets full of gold

And my own fair daughter, your bonny bride to hold

If you'll swim through the waters and put the Spaniards into the cold

Yes, sink 'em in the Lowland, Low land

Sink her in the lowland sea"

Oh, the mates they made him ready and he left the Vanity

He swam through the waters to the Spanish enemy

Then he pulled out his rigging dagger and drilled round holes three

And he sank 'em into the Lowland, Low land

He sank 'em into the Lowland Sea

Then he swam back to the Vanity and he beat upon the saide

Saying "Captain pull me out, for I grow so very tired"

But the Captain said "I do not care if a thousand of your kind die"

And he left him in the Lowland, Low land

He left him in the Lowland Sea

If it were not for the love that I bear for all your men

I'd do to you, my Captain, as you had me do to them

But I cannot take the lives of all your other men

And he sank back in the in the Lowland, Low land

He sank back in the Lowland Sea

The crew they pulled him out, but upon the deck he died

So they stiched him in his hammock and they took him to the side

And they put him out to rest, and he drifted with the tide

And sank into in the Lowland, Low land

He sank into in the Lowland Sea

• Members

Just finished a 4-song CD in honor of the 100th anniversary of the Genius of Crime.

You hear Mr. Binh's arch-top and my synths on it. In the last half, you hear a little

bit of KORG KARMA fx on it.

I really like that guitar with w/a tremolo box. That's a sound I'll use in the future.

I've been in SF all week at centenary celebrations. I read a passage from

"The Silent Executioner" and had my music performed at a couple of venues.

I re-arranged a waltz I composed & made it a Surf tune.

I wanted a late 50's/early 60's instrumental feel.

I was thinking Johnny & the Hurricanes' "Red River Rock" & Bill Black "White Silver Sands".

[video=youtube;HL0ItVXin8I]

• Members

Well, here we go!

Title: "Ship of Death"

Artist: Prizefighters All!

Link to the song on SoundCloud: http://soundcloud.com/prizefighters-all/05-ship-of-death

Recording info: Played Alvarez MD80 with dead strings into my MacBook Pro's built-in mic. Used GarageBand for rough mixing, and for adding effects to the secondary guitar part. The secondary guitar was also played on the Alvarez.

Lyrics:

After the power went

We up and left

The drive took us where we didn't want to go

The moon was full but hanging real low

And on that tide

The ship took us for our last ride

We were floating

Miles out at sea

We tried to be brave, thinking of better days

It did nothing to make us feel OK

And on that tide

There was no point

In trying to run

From the fate we've made for ourselves

We recalled the times we had

When we met those years ago

We tried to find what we forgot

It's hard to put this in words, but we couldn't recall a thing

And on that tide

And when we reached our stop

At some port in old Oxnard

We recognized it as the place we met all those years ago

Where I thought the world of you, I was as tall as treetops

And on that tide

There was no point

In trying to run

From the fate we've made for ourselves

• Members

I recorded three songs tonight. I had a diff one in mind for VOM, but this one turned out best. Funny, this was #3 of 3. Kind of an afterthought, because it was a good recording session. Ain't it the way.

http://www.box.net/shared/p7kophbk77

I wrote this about three yrs ago. Not a true story--have never paid for it, although nothing wrong with that. But maybe I was thinking about what a love song might be worth, in illegal tender.

Little Bit More (lyrics):

Little Bit More [67]

• Members

Here's one I've been working on........

The Grinding Wheel

Did this version with wo mics, one take........figured it to be a demo for something I could work up in the studio but I think I might just leave it as it is. Played it on the old Kalamazoo again.

I'm looking forward to a good hour or so of listening later in the day when everybody gets posted up.:wave:

• Members

Paul Westerberg is best known as the former lead singer, rhythm guitarist, and songwriter of The Replacements. This song is from his debut solo album 14 Songs.

Being a Replacements fan I bought this CD without hearing one song from it and I'm glad I did!

Not a bad song on it. Great CD!

[video=youtube;x47um_B6Hw4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x47um_B6Hw4

• Members

good morning...bonfire brew....original/vom1t/zoomed/etc.....wine/margaritas/brew all in one song.....a good ole drinking song a i guess.....maybe a mountain drinking song with nuclear overtones....non-fiction mostly.....and some gratitude....and a howling sweetie>>>>

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=908060&songID=10443003

bonfire brew

off to the west, near the nuclear tests

sits a pile of sand and a hornets nest

huge rocks and french white wines

aching for family and having good times

looks of knowing and hands of grease

saltless maragritas and two kinds of meat

bonfire brew near an amphitheater

blues get light from the noise of a heater

from gear to rides to room and board

made that way so we could afford

hospitality holds a lofty place

next to angels and the One of grace

knee high powder and catching breaths

in a state of mind and a state of unrest

sweetie wakes early and starts to howl

never heard her beg, never heard her growl

junior looks strong and he seems real smart

flaunts a huge smile and a tender heart

up near the divide in a valley of hope

lives a family who will always live near the slopes

a canyon was forged by the eagle river

if my life wasn't waitin' i'd try to live here

smartest man i ever knew got some good tests

it'll take more that that to put him to rest

emgdc

• Members

i like that video extollo.....peaceful.

huge song tbryson.....you wrote and sang it with humanity.

kwakatak.....voice show man!!....and the guitar just keeps it moving. eminent rendition.

the irish slick ferndouglas with another sad lover song, those poor australian and new zealand island people. almost a hunnard years ago. truly a world war, the war to end all wars was. none of them really around anymore. thanks for the rememberin'.

• Members

I was planning on recording something new for the VOM but my throat is so sore it's difficult to speak, let alone sing. So here's a video I recorded a couple of weeks ago. I don't think I shared it here yet.

I was at a gig recently where I brought only my ukulele, and a friend of mine requested I would play The Weary Kind by Ryan Bingham. I said sure, then realized that I didn't have a guitar with me, so I had to figure it out in real time. Good thing he's a friend ;) As an aside, I must say that I am totally addicted to request-only sets now. I never make a set list anymore, just show up with a guitar, banjo and uke and ask people if "Anyone knows a good one?" It's been very liberating, very enjoyable, and I'm sure to play a song selection that pleases the audience since it's based solely on their requests.

Anyway, a cover of Ryan Bingham

• Members

More to come, but I'm off to playing outside with my kiddos :)

masterbuilt: great song selection, fits your voice perfectly. I dig the Martin. What's the 5-string instrument behind you? Oh, and that looks like one fine couch to sit down on and strum for a long while :)

stackabones: Tush, I love it! Great job man. Caught myself playing it on the uke after listening to your entry :)

Terry Allan Hall: that's some sweet right hand technique right there. Beautiful picking can really enhance an already beautiful song.

Etienne Rambert: I have a deep love for trem on a guitar... it always adds a special vibe :)

skatalite: I enjoyed the line "And on that tide, The ship took us for our last ride."

Michael Martin: I always look forward to your entry. Your sense of phrasing, along with the tone of your voice really do it for me. This song was no exception.

LeonardScaper: There's a beautiful vibe, mood to this song.I agree with you, I think I'd keep it the way it is!

g6120: in all my years in music, which now go back 33 years since I first set foot at the music conservatory in my home town in France, I've never one played in a sport coat, so you have my respect there :) All kidding aside, great song. Somehow I missed that album when it came out, I will go buy a copy.

hypcollector: "hospitality holds a lofty place next to angels and the One of grace" is a great line, drinkin' song or not! :)

• Members

masterbuilt
: great song selection, fits your voice perfectly. I dig the Martin. What's the 5-string instrument behind you? Oh, and that looks like one fine couch to sit down on and strum for a long while
:)

The five-string is a new Ohana ukulele that I will be reviewing for the magazine... there is another lying on the couch, too, a Martin #2 copy.

We'll be giving away a 5-string in Issue 20 of Ukulele Player. The model is the TK-35G-5 (a tenor-sizes uke with two "G" strings). Check out the video and you'll get some idea about the tone.

• Members

Greetings

My entry this month is a song that I a few years back called March To Caeledon. Needless to say this ain't no lullaby. My guitar is a little brighter sounding than usual because those are fresh strings. Sad to say that this wasn't a once and done take, brain farts and hand cramps will do that.

Enjoy!

Tony

[video=youtube;czZhXf9bUt8]

Archived