VOM 40 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, May 8, 2011

Stackabones

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am currently homeless and therefore do not have the ability to record anything new, so here's a ukulele cover of Ryan Adams' Sweet Carolina.

And my thanks to my dear friends who are currently giving me and my kids a roof until things get better.

[video=youtube;kPiWgttHtmE]

• Members

Thanks to Stack, I'm going to make a small contribution this month. Long story, mostly about a Luddite trying to upload music....

Anyway, I was going to record John Fahey's song Steamboat Gwine Round the Bend on the 12 string (which I did), but the Dobro and the Duolian were also in open G so I thought I'd record the same thing on them. The tricone was in open D, but it was pretty easy to switch to G so I threw in it.

So, One Song, Four Guitars

Steamboat_OM12.mp3

Steamboat_Dobro.mp3

Steamboat_Duolian.mp3

Steamboat_Tricone.mp3

IMG_2509.jpg

• Members
I am currently homeless and therefore do not have the ability to record anything new, so here's a ukulele cover of Ryan Adams' Sweet Carolina.

And my thanks to my dear friends who are currently giving me and my kids a roof until things get better.

Mojo to you Mojo!

:wave:

• Members

Thanks, everyone, for lots of great listening.

Michael Martin - I like this a lot, MM. The music has kind of an old-timey feel to it and I like the

imagery the lyrics evoke.

Mrmoe - Love the sound of the git, and you definitely do this song justice. :)

Garthman - Dunno of it's my computer speakers or what, but this has what I can best describe as a sad twanginess that perfectly suits the lyrics.

Tbryson - Very pretty, sad song. The fingerstyle is nice and I like the synth. Well done.

Fendouglas - Nice. Very nice indeed. I've always liked this song.

Stackabones - I close my eyes and suddenly I'm sitting in this uber-cool blues joint, tappin' my foot to classic sounds. What a wonderful feeling. :)

Acousticdepot - I'm not a huge country fan, but I sure like the way you did this song. It also sounds like you're having fun performing it. :thu:

Skatalite - Very interesting. Sounds to me like something I think I'd hear in a musical play or movie. Lots of texture, which I like very much.

Masterbuilt - I can definitely relate to this song, Mickey - it's still very winter-ish where I live. I adore the sound of the uke in this. :)

Mike003 - I've loved Petula Clark's music since I was a kid. Thanks for this great cover of an old favorite.

G6120 - Gil, I think this song is one of your best ones. Man, I love that driving beat!

Riffmeister - You've given this contemporary composition a very old-world sound with this arrangement, like the song is a few hundred years old. Simply beautiful!

Hypcollector - Wow - by the third line of lyrics I was sucked right in. Wonderfully creative!!

Sangemon - A few friends sitting around with gits, recorder gets turned on and the impromptu result is utterly delightful!

Fatback - Erm.....that was a banjo. Okayyyyyyyyy (But a well-played banjo :D)

FussenKuh - I never heard the NIN version of this, only remember the Cash one, and you perform it the way I think it should be done. Lots of emotion there, and the git is beautifully balanced - not too bright or dark. :thu:

Fastblueheeler - An outstanding live performance. I enjoyed that very much! :)

TSMusic - Ah, Tony, excellent as always.

Oldskool Texas - Lovely arrangement. I especially like the vocal harmonies.

Benzem - Another old favorite of mine. Love the emotion you express in the playing. Very nice!

Extollo - I have just become a great fan of DADGAD Riffage. ;) Well played indeed!

BlackHatHunter - I'm so very sorry to hear of your hard times. I hope things greatly improve soon!! In the meantime, keep on playing. I really like your music and Sweet Carolina is no exception. Thanks for this vid.

Freeman Keller - Well played, FK. The OM12 sounds nice, and the dobro and tricone sound more suited to this tune. The duolian nearly floored me - sounds like some sort of uber-cool cross between a git and honky-tonk piano.

• Members

Well, by my clock it's almost closing time ... but you know what? If it's still Second Sunday where you live, keep posting. Even it's a bit past Second Sunday and Monday Morning is blinking its bright eyes in your face ...

post 'em if you got 'em!

The mic is still on if you need it ...

• Members

I'm a day late again, sorry.

As some of you guys know my long time partner left me alone in a large house on top of a hill. A friend of mine I play bluegrass with played this song for me, and it hit home so hard I learned it the next day.

Rock Salt and Nails

Old damn song can't trace it.

On the banks of the river where the willows hang down

And the wild birds all warble with a low moaning sound

Down in the hollow where the waters run cold

It was there I first listened to the lies that you told

Now I lie on my bed and I see your sweet face

The past I remember time cannot erase

The letter you wrote me it was written in shame

And I know that your conscience still echoe's my name

Now the nights are so long Lord sorrow runs deep

And nothing is worse htan a night without sleep

I'll walk out alone and look at the sky

To empty to sing to lonesome to cry

If the ladies were blackbirds and the ladies wore thrushes

I'd lie there for hours in the chilly cold marshes

If the ladies were squirrel's with high bushy talls

I'd fill up gun with rock salt and nails

• Members

Thanks Samilyn! Loved your song. It's been going thru my head all day! Beautiful!

Tried to PM,..but I understand.

If there is ever a N.W. get together, I am in.

:)

Thanks, B

A meet 'n greet would be fun!

Also, I haven't shut down all PMs to me, just restricted PMs to contacts and friends only. I put you on my contacts list, so it's okay to PM me now.

• Members

Thanks, B

A meet 'n greet would be fun!

Also, I haven't shut down all PMs to me, just restricted PMs to contacts and friends only. I put you on my contacts list, so it's okay to PM me now.

Can't PM you either ...

• Members

Garthman - Dunno of it's my computer speakers or what, but this has what I can best describe as a sad twanginess that perfectly suits the lyrics.

Stratocaster (copy) played through a 15w acoustic amp approx 6 foot behind me.

• Members

Well, a combination of events conspired to keep me from getting my submission done. But it is recorded so I may get it finished. I spent some time and a few dollars trying to improve my recordings but now everything takes a wee bit longer.

In any event, I sure as heck did enjoy listening to you all.

Just a few comments and then I'm back to what they pay me for here.

Mr Moe-

Havent' heard that one for a long time. Love it. Fine job. Harmonies are splendid.

g6120-

yet another excellent production. Your timing is steady as a clock. I dig the syncopation. Nice shirt!

riffmeister -

Your stuff is always a cut above. Beautiful. Don't know why you hang with us amateurs, but I'm glad you do. This is a better place as a result.

fatback-

Yahoo! That banjo got my blood pumping this morning. Good one!

Oldskool Texas-

Good song. Nice changes. Fine arrangement. Well recorded.

extollo-

Nice dadgading you got going there. excellent out, too!

BlackHatHunter-

lovely uke submission. Best wishes for you and your family, man. Better days ahead.

Freeman-

Enjoyed the different versions of Steamboat and a pretty picture, besides. Tricone version was esp. nice.

• Members

Mr Moe...Guitar sounds great and the recording very clean.

Samilyn...Great song. Your playing was very nice.

Mike003...Nice going!!...Very good playing.

Thanks for comments on my song and to everyone that listened!!

• Members

Michael Martin - Cool. For whatever reason, it remind me of vintage Rod Stewart. Go figure.

mrmoe - Great job. Who's that singing with you?

garthman - Nice job.

tbryson - Well done. Enjoyed it.

Fendouglas - Nice job.

Stackabones - Good job. Is that an original?

acousticdepot - Nice job.

Samilyn - Thanks. Sure brings back memories.

masterbuilt - Good original. Well done. Enjoyed it.

mike003 - Nice job.

g6120 - Pretty good for a spontaneous song. Enjoyed listening.

riffmeister - Lovely. Very well done.

hypcollector - Got a bit monotonous after a while.

Sangemon - That turned out really well. Very enjoyable.

fatback - I've said for years that the banjo is very easy to play badly. You do a much better job than I do.

FussenKuh - Nice job.

And my thanks to my dear friends who are currently giving me and my kids a roof until things get better. . . .

BlackHatHunter - You're homeless?! That's terrible. Please let us all know if there's anything we can do to help. That and great job on the song.

Freeman Keller - Well done. I'd be lucky to play something recognizable once, let alone four times in a row. ;)

sixgunner455 - Nice job.

• Members

Sangemon & FBH: That's one of my favorite Prine songs.

I liked FBH's vocal better. Sangemon's recording was better.

On FBH, I liked the recorder part too. (Or was that a tin whistle? Penny Whistle?)

Fatback: It was wonderful. I loved it.

Fussunkuh: I never liked that song. You did it really well though.

Your guitar & your playing sounded really good also.

Haven't had time to listen to the rest yet.

Archived