VOM 40 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, May 8, 2011

Stackabones

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Absentee Postings

mrmoe Comments:

....done in 'one take' about 35 years ago.....

Absentee Post from:
mrmoe

Title:
to a flame

Credits:
stephen stills

garthman Comments:

One take recorded with Audacity via my computer microphone.

Absentee Post from:
garthman

Title:
Moonshiner

Credits:
Traditional

Absentee Post from: tbryson

Title: The man in the middle

Credits: Tbry 2011

tbryson Comments:

Here is my entry this month. Fingerstyle acoustic with a few adornments...About anyone that can't decide what side he is on and is stuck...afraid to live or die or take a posistion...to me that is living a living hell.

The man in the middle

Doesn

• Members

Get Together

Written by Chet Powers

This song is one of my all-time-favorite '60s tunes.

It was recorded by several groups, but probably the most remembered is the version by The Youngbloods.

However, fans of Jefferson Airplane will recognize the cadence of my vocals as being closer to the JA version, not the one by the Youngbloods.

I'm playing my Guild GAD-25, recorded into a Fostex MR8HD, Samson C02 condenser mic.

The GAD-25 is a dark, woody git which tends to produce too much bottom when recorded, so I rolled off the bass rumble with a high-pass filter in Audacity.

• Members

Title: "For The Blood Is The Life"

By: Prizefighters All!

Recording gear: Built-in microphone on MacBook Pro laptop, GarageBand

Link: http://soundcloud.com/prizefighters-all/for-blood-is-the-life/

Story: This song is about uncertainty and wondering if some steps we take in life are actually carrying us in the right direction.

Lyrics:

I can't feel you anywhere

I can't smell you in the air

Why don't you just show me

Where you have been hiding

I don't know what to do

When you're acting such a fool

Why can't you just come on down

And help me turn your week around

And I

I can't say

Just where we'll be

Come wedding day

I don't want to disappear

I just want you to be near

Me and everything thing we do

I want you to believe in, too

Why don't you just come on home

Right back where you started from

We can pick up where we left

Off when we weren't such a mess

And I

I can't say

Just where we'll be

Come wedding day

Just come home

Just come back home

And I

I can't say

Just where we'll be

Come wedding day

• Members

Michael Martin: I'd like to hear that arranged with bass & drums. I like the music. I like the beat.

I'd like to hear you drive it with bass & drums. You've got a synth - give it a go.

And I always like your voice. You don't need the words 'dark' & 'black' to describe the velvet though.

Black is always dark.

Mr. Moe, that guitar sounds like it was done 35 years ago. And that's a high compliment.

Can't get a guitar to sound like that these days with DAW's.

Ah I miss tape warmth.

I think you need some juice on your voice though.

The female voice is wonderful though. Lovely.

Garthman: I hear phase shifting in the guitar.

I like your voice. That computer mic doesn't do it justice though.

TBryson: The guitar sounds so nice. Your voice is not recorded as well as the guitar.

I like your finger-style a lot. I like the synth patch, bring it up in the mix.

I like the bells or chimes whatever they are.

I disagree about Poe though. I don't think Edgar Allen Poe is a writer the man in your song would read.

Fendouglas: Listen to the guitar sound that Mr. Moe got 35 years ago on his VOM post this week.

My suggestion is to try to get that sound on your strumming here. It's gonna be tough. But the two

guitar parts are kind of similar.

I think there are two guitar sounds I've heard this week that I really like.

Mr. Moe's sound from 35 years ago & T Bryson's sound from today. Both are really good.

Stack: (At last I can hear something from Stack. For a long time, I couldn't open the site.)

Were the rhythm/vocal tracks live? It has that vibe. Loved your under-stated solo.

Wish I could hear more of the female voice though.

Acoustic Depot: Good guitar sound. Good, clean, tight recording.

Sam: I'd know the sound of D-25 anywhere. Is it plugged in? I like your voice a lot. You're getting mic plosives though.

Skatalite: The recording sounds bright, metallic to me. The acoustic guitar sound could be done better.

But your voice & the lyrics are good. I think the recording sound needs some warmth though.

Masterbuilt: I'd love to hear this orchestrated. It's a lovely song & a lovely recording.

I'd love to hear back-up vx, a flute maybe, strings, bass.

Everything about it was confident. You sing with authority. You play with authority.

It was all lovely. I'd love to hear it taken to the next level.

Mike003: I'm a big Tony Hatch fan. Thanks for that.

I've always wanted to have a passable version of

"Don't Sleep In The Subway".

Hope I didn't accidentally overlook anyone.

• Members

Saturday afternoon May 15, 2010. Sitting in a parked car waiting for someone and suddenly the

first verse of this song comes into my head.

I held the thought and wrote it down later.

The rest of the verses came very fast and so did the chorus.

Picked up the guitar as I was writing to work out music.

Printed the lyrics, turned on the camera and recorded the song right away in early morning hours.

Don't know where it came from and did not put a lot of thought into the lyrics but I decided to

follow instinct with this one.

As I listen back the subject matter is nothing new of course but I like the tune that came out.

A very fast creation.

Stream High Quality audio and Download the track Free if you like:

http://gilsmusic.bandcamp.com/track/my-big-mistake

[video=youtube;8XdDAzbGXSQ]

• Members

Mr Moe

Writing as I'm listening. I think I'm into introductions at the moment. Oh whose the woman - that just great - harmonies and chorus - getting better and better.

Wow that was great - loved all of it the crashendo (spelling ???) and the diminuendo and especially the clipped ending

Loved it

Phil

• Members

Garthman - what a miserable song -(I mean this as a compliment) If art is the ability to create an emotional response in others then you are truely an artist. However if I now post what I think I will now post you are responsible. Suck it up

;)

Phil

• Members

An arrangement of the Peter Maxwell Davies piano piece "Farewell to Stromness" that I did for guitar, flute, and violin.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=901761&content=songinfo&songID=10583529

The title references the Scottish town of Stromness, from Wikipedia:

"Stromness is referenced in the title of Sir Peter Maxwell Davies's popular piano piece Farewell to Stromness, a piano interlude from The Yellow Cake Revue, which was written to protest plans to open a uranium mine in the area. (The title refers to yellowcake, the powder produced in an early stage of the processing of uranium ore.) The Revue was first performed by the composer at the Stromness Hotel on 21 June 1980 as part of the St Magnus Festival; the uranium mine was cancelled later that year."

• Members

good mornin'. action already. submitting Imagination. zoomed and VOM1Ted, arena style for all you verb heads like me. the word actually becomes an instrument in this one. this is post post western modern digi dog punk. be all nice to all the mothers today. oh, the whoa they endure!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=908060&songID=10553155

imagination: seed of history

imagination: lonesome irony

imagination: godess perfection

imagination: source of discontent

imagination: territorial notions

imagination: dream trash

imagination: founding fathers

imagination: art worthy

imagination: halo owner

imagination: streetlamp gazer

imagination: dark stars

imagination: reality check

imagination: eyes closed tightly

imagination: across the street blues

imagination: holy rollers

imagination: out of style

imagination: tombstone whistler

imagination: anxiety monsters

imagination: fantasy prisoner

imagination: truth through gauze

imagination: literal meanings

imagination: laughing pirate

imagination: color explosions

imagination: possible scenarios

imagination: wrecked balance

imagination: air brushed maidens

imagination: self love

imagination: self hate

imagination: independent flyers

imagination: mind tune-up

imagination: wisdom apologizer

imagination: inventions

imagination: divine taster

imagination: phantom madness

imagination: mirage maker

imagination: deep deep blue

• Members

michaelmartin...guitar sounds very powerful...listened to this one twice....the structure of the song is great, the repeated verse and chorus coming in about the middle....nice imagery and nonfiction markers....go canada.....the whoas were great at the end of verses.

stackabones...nice bake, you are and will always be, a texas blues legend. ever check out the gunter hotel in san antonio....downtown, they got a room dedicated to robert johnson cause he made recordings there. old san antonio. i think you can rent it out.....it would be cool to record there.

acoustic depot....so country, i gotta hit pause and make some coffee....coffee's brewin'....you gotta good country voice, finishing off the words nicely and amping the vowels.

samilyn...way to hold the low notes...gives this a seriousness--love is serious.....the youngbloods ruined this song until you brought it back---yeah to the 60's and yeah to jefferson airplane.

skatalite....soundclouds, hmm....the march-like cadance moves this song....like the harp in the back....the ending part was great, slowed the song and got my attention for the faster end....>>they don't want you to turn their week around, they want you to turn their life around--keep the mess out of marriage....just took the quick soundcloud tour...any testimony's?...soundclick just censored me on my last song, hoeing potatoes blues, at one point i refer to a hoe. an actual hoe. when the lyrics came up on the song page, hoe showed up as h***. after edits to make sure it wasn't my mistake, it showed again. can't even talk about one of the finest farming tools ever invented, the hoe>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoe_(tool)

masterbuilt...the hummin' chourus lets the guitar take over ears.....the fade ending like it would never end>>the rain kept coming down....making you want to hum so time would move faster....the sun was there...in the future, but for now, raindrops....

mike003.....yeah to the 60's again! (see above)...who do you sound like??!!!??......charlie rich?....i dunno, but an old time counrty singer for sure...your voice, breaking and aching at just the right points.

**mmmmm coffee hitting real good right now...

• Members

First up, I just have to say Happy Mothers' Day to all the lovely moms out there! We wouldn't be here participating in this VOM without you!

Title: Hurt

Originally By: Nine Inch Nails

(Inspired by the Johnny Cash rendition)

I've never really been a huge fan of NiN music, but, I recall the first time I heard Johnny Cash's cover of this tune at the start of this century. Recorded just prior to Johnny's death, I found his cover both haunting and powerful.

I recently rediscovered this tune while surfing the web and figured I'd come up with my own rendition of it. As usual, my singing is far from perfect, but, I'd like to think it's at least not ear splitting ;)

Thanks to everyone for watching!

[video=youtube;vdx1HO5e5-o]

• Members

Hi guys - No submission from me this month. I am actually going into the studio this week, and have been living with a click track in my head. Necessary evil I suppose.

Great stuff already on the VOM. Gave feedback on what I could catch before leaving for church.

Michael Martin - Good song man. Very good recording. That guitar sounds great. I also like the back up harmony, it really fills out the song.

Mr. Moe - Thanks for turning me on to this song. Stephen Still is one of those guys that I always here about, but have never really listened to, (outside of CSNY of course). Very well done. The vocals are beautiful.

Garthman - Cool old tune.

• Members

Well, another version of John Prine's "Speed of the Sound of Loneliness". No match for Tom's but we had a lot of fun. I was in St. Louis last week and this Irish fiddle tune group let me sit in with them at a place called the Abbey in Belleville Illinois. I couldn't keep up with their Jigs and Reels but we came together for John Prine. That's my Grandson toward the end.

[video=youtube;tjSKmKuj8qQ]

Archived