Bout to check out a 1934 Gibson L00, what to expect?

THEE HAMMER

• Members

l-00.jpg

...1934 L-00

You have to trust us on this one, because the pictures don't do it justice. This is our favourite guitar to come through the shop in a long time. I've played guitars that sounded like this before, but I always wake up a few minutes later to realize it was only dream. We were struck by the vibe of this guitar as soon as we opened the case. It has had one owner, and still has the original strap and cool cardboard case it came with in 1934. We have just done an impeccably clean neck reset and refret, our best work on our favourite guitar. This guitar is extremely subtle, responding to the softest touch, and pulling out a surprising left punch for bluesy moments. What can I say? This one's got IT. The Adirondack spruce top is absolutely crack free, as are the mahogany back and sides. Few guitars have ever been quite as pretty as these early target-burst L-00's, with their firestripe pickguards and delicate-looking straight bridges of Brazilian rosewood. The original tuners still work well. This guitar is ready for another lifetime of music, and ready to look great doing it, too...

http://www.folkwaymusic.com/instruments/repairgallery.html

Expect to be impressed... ;)

• Members

l-00.jpg

1934 L-00

You have to trust us on this one, because the pictures don't do it justice. This is our favourite guitar to come through the shop in a long time. I've played guitars that sounded like this before, but I always wake up a few minutes later to realize it was only dream. We were struck by the vibe of this guitar as soon as we opened the case. It has had one owner, and still has the original strap and cool cardboard case it came with in 1934. We have just done an impeccably clean neck reset and refret, our best work on our favourite guitar. This guitar is extremely subtle, responding to the softest touch, and pulling out a surprising left punch for bluesy moments. What can I say? This one's got IT. The Adirondack spruce top is absolutely crack free, as are the mahogany back and sides. Few guitars have ever been quite as pretty as these early target-burst L-00's, with their firestripe pickguards and delicate-looking straight bridges of Brazilian rosewood. The original tuners still work well. This guitar is ready for another lifetime of music, and ready to look great doing it, too...

http://www.folkwaymusic.com/instruments/repairgallery.html

Expect to be impressed...
;)

SO I have it here in my hands, guy is desperate to sell.

It has a cracked top, could use new frets at 1-5. Finish is bad but everything is original but the tuners. Needs a good tune up basically.

What would be a rough guess at value? If I can't buy it i'd gladly pass it on to a forumite.

• Members

SO I have it here in my hands, guy is desperate to sell.

It has a cracked top, could use new frets at 1-5. Finish is bad but everything is original but the tuners. Needs a good tune up basically.

What would be a rough guess at value? If I can't buy it i'd gladly pass it on to a forumite.

Post pics and maybe someone can give you a better idea of costs.

• Members

Post pics and maybe someone can give you a better idea of costs.

I will, it has a through and through crack going down the top from the bridge almost to the lower bout. But it seems structurally sound.

Guy is leaving it here for now. Bastard sounds magnificent though.

• Members

I have Spann's Gibson book. If you can find the FON, I can verify the model and year. If it's all original, $1000 is probably a good deal.

It has May 1934 written in pencil inside. Correct striped guard and Bridge. V shaped neck. Pictures asap.

• Members

Get an inspection mirror and poke around inside. And then give the d00d his $1K. Top cracks are easy and cheap to fix. From your vid, neck angle looks OK, and bridge and tuners look original, but I'm not an expert.

Fix the cracks, clean it up, and you've probably got $2K+ worth of guitar.

BTW, if you want an expert opinion, talk to this guy:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/member.php?u=24650

http://bannergibsons.com/contact.html

He wrote the proverbial book.

• Members

Get an inspection mirror and poke around inside. And then give the d00d his $1K. Top cracks are easy and cheap to fix. From your vid, neck angle looks OK, and bridge and tuners look original, but I'm not an expert.

Fix the cracks, clean it up, and you've probably got $2K+ worth of guitar.

BTW, if you want an expert opinion, talk to this guy:

He wrote the proverbial book.

Thanks for the advice.

• Members

I just played a 1940 L-00 at Eric Schoenberg's shop in Tiburon CA. A fabulous little guitar. Baseball bat neck, 1 3/4" nut, but comfy somehow. Resonant and clear through all strings. Great fingerpicker. Just great. He has two of them in now, acquired at the same time. The other was a 1938 with a V-shaped neck and 1 11/16" nut, also in great shape. I just checked his web site, but for some reason his prices aren't listed. I recall that the 1940 was in the $4,000-5,000 range. It was in great shape though, as was the other one. Both stock, original tuners and tiger stripe pickguards. Mojo on a wall.

• Members

I just played a 1940 L-00 at Eric Schoenberg's shop in Tiburon CA. A fabulous little guitar. Baseball bat neck, 1 3/4" nut, but comfy somehow. Resonant and clear through all strings. Great fingerpicker. Just great. He has two of them in now, acquired at the same time. The other was a 1938 with a V-shaped neck and 1 11/16" nut, also in great shape. I just checked his web site, but for some reason his prices aren't listed. I recall that the 1940 was in the $4,000-5,000 range. It was in great shape though, as was the other one. Both stock, original tuners and tiger stripe pickguards. Mojo on a wall.

well I bought the one in the video, under the condition I have three days to return it if not satisfied. I really wanna get my dad an acoustic for father's day so maybe i'll post it for trade and get something a bit more modern, but like you said... amazing clarity and sound for size, neck is comfy, a great guitar.

• Members

well I bought the one in the video, under the condition I have three days to return it if not satisfied. I really wanna get my dad an acoustic for father's day so maybe i'll post it for trade and get something a bit more modern, but like you said... amazing clarity and sound for size, neck is comfy, a great guitar.

I think he would like it. It's just not the ordinary guitar you see hanging on the pegs everywhere. It requires thought and knowledge to appreciate one.

A great gift I think. I would love one.

• Members

Get the crack stabilized and give your dad an AMAZING Father's Day gift...it'll make up for all those ties. :)

Archived