Marlboro Miles Guitar

bcfromky

• Members

I got an acoustic guitar for Christmas one year and it was a gift. she purchased it with Marlboro Miles and paid 50 bonz to have it shipped. There are no marking or anything and I have no clue what brand it is. This is one of the best playing guitars I have played.

If anyone know what type it is please reply.

• Members

The basic Martin design is fairly common. A whole lot of cheap guitars look like Martins. A few are actually pretty good. Alvarez used the Martin design for years. You'll have to provide a lot more information before anyone can help you. If I had to guess I'd say a generic Asian-made guitar probably made by Samick (they're the largest guitar maker in the world so that's not saying much).

• Members

"This guitar will only go up in value as it matures. It is a hard to find, era made, limited run, with an unknown maker (other than Marlboro miles rewards). New strings, great action, fat acoustic sound. Rare find in such good condition. Looks just likes a Martin Guitar. Good condition overall, a few minor scratches - won't show on camera. "

I wasn't aware that unknown maker guitars had such a high resale value. If you don't know the maker how do you decide if that's the one that deserves the high value or if it's another guitar?

I've never played it so they could be great but branding "Unknown maker" the way the seller does is one hell of a marketing pitch. I wonder if this guy had anything to do with the naming of "Life Insurance".

• Members

I just "bought back" my first good guitar, which sounds to be pretty much like this one. Pawn shop, $200. It's also a mystery who made it, it' a house branded guit. Darned good guitar for having no name.

I think the appreciation would come from those that are into cigarette advertising/promotional materials. If you had the provenance connecting it with Marlboro, it would add a lot of value over that of the guitar itself to a rabid... excuse me, avid collector.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I wasn't aware that unknown maker guitars had such a high resale value. . .

I think they are unique enough to identify them as what they are. . . and probably the same maker made them all . . .so I guess a "value" could be ascertained . . . but NOT AFTER I CORNER THE MARKET ON THEM - - - - HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

• Members

All the hype and bullshit aside, those Marlboro D-28 clone guitars are pretty good. The one I saw had no identifying markings at all on it, but it had a solid spruce top and lam b&s. Sounded damn fine for a pac-rim guitar. I'd say one in good shape would be worth a Franklin or two.

• 8 years later...
  • Members

The Marlboro Miles Guitar was modeled after the sigma version of D-28. It has binding on the fretboard where Martin d28 would not. It will have no markings from the factory whatsoever and it was made in Asia through contract manufacturing so the make of the guitar would be Marlboro and the model is known as the western model. They are not laminated back and sides but rather solid wood back and sides. The fretboard will go to the sound hole unlike a true Martin d-28. They are worth around 200 dollars respectively and make for good instruments for a beginner I would imagine. I wouldn’t own one but it probably sounds every bit as good as a sigma.

• 9 months later...
  • Members

I was a bartender the year that catalogue came out so I would take the Marlboro miles from my customers packs and save them. I got pretty much everything in the catalogue except the jukebox and the mountain bike. Every bit of it was first class gear and absolutely none of it had any markings at all. No model or serial numbers and especially no brand names. I still have and use most of it. Poker chips with wooden trays, a whole luggage set, enamel chili bowls, barn jacket, winter coat with a zip out fleece, jean jacket with a leather collar, and this nifty guitar that's an almost exact copy of my dad's Martin. I still play it. Somebody named them Marlboro Martins because of the resemblance but I've never seen anyone claim to be the maker. I think that secret is part of their sales agreement. Just guessing because if they stepped forward they could sell a whole bunch more.