Orpheus classical guitar

SuperMonkey

• Members

Hi, guys. Here's a quick mystery for you to solve!

A friend of mine has owned an Orpheus classical guitar for about a decade now. It had steel strings on it when he got it (which is supposed to damage the bridge on classicals, but doesn't appear to have done anything to it.

Anyway, the mystery -- the only records I can find of a company named Orpheus manufacturing guitars is of a Japanese company by the name of Orpheus making electrics in the 1960s. There's nothing I can find that points toward them making classicals. Basically, I'd like to know where the thing came from, but all my searches have turned up nil.

As far as info on the guitar itself, I can't give much (I'd provide photos and/or measurements if I could, but I don't have it with me.). It has nineteen frets, and the top appears to be solid, with laminated sides. I'm not sure about the back, but I'd guess it's laminated as well.

If anyone can help me solve this, I'd appreciate it! :)

• Members

Might it be Orpheus Valley Guitars?
http://www.kremona.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&id=9&Itemid=87?=en

Interesting. It actually looks a hell of a lot like the Sofia series, but I'm not sure because the inside label (there might be a technical term I don't know) just says "Orpheus" and has a serial number. But it definitely could be. Thanks for the tip! :)

• Members

Dont have the prose to do it justice.

Orpheus made the most beautiful music in ancient Greece, much in favour of the gods. His true love, Euridice, somehow, I cant remember how, fell into the clutches of Hades, lord of the underworld.

Orpheus made a deal with Hades, he would play music for Hades in exchange for his true loves life. The only covenant decreed was...If you are truly loves true dream then you can trust each other implicitly, there fore Orpheus,when you lead Euridice out of the underworld, through all the perils set before you, you must not look back, but trust she will follow.

Just as they reach the entrance, yep you guessed, he looks back, condeming her for eternity.

Sad eh....?

• 8 years later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Members

I also had an Orpheus guitar when I started lessons in the mid-70s. It had been around forever so I think my parents bought it in the 60s. It was 3/4 size (seemed big at the time) and was pretty good, stayed in tune, and I seem to remember it had abalone-like decoration as part of the rosette. I miss it.

• 2 years later...