VOM 42 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, July 10, 2011

• Members

Absentee Postings

mrmoe Comments:

.....once again, during the coop's 'all cooped up' late winter show, someone snuck in with a video camera....I found this posted on youtube the other day....it's an old Alabama tune.

Absentee Post from:
mrmoe

Title:
Cheap Seats

Credits:
Alabama

garthman Comments:

I'm cheating this month. I wasn't able to submit a song for last month's VOM due to an injured finger and I've been unable to record anything this month due to work pressures. But two months without a VOM submission is unthinkable so I'm posting a song I recorded quite some time ago - actually I did it for the old Annex.

The song is 'Witches Hat' written by (the amazing) Robin Williamson of The Incredible String Band. It appeared on the 1968 album 'The Hangman's Beuatiful Daughter' (which everyone should own).

Played on my strat with some chorus and reverb.

Absentee Post from:
garthman

Title:
Witches Hat

Credits:
Robin Williamson

BlackHatHunter Comments:

Always loved that song. recorded in two tracks, VOM1T for each track. Track 1: vox & baritone ukulele 'rhythm', track 2 is baritone uke 'solo'. The reverb is from the natural space the song was recorded...

Absentee Post from:
BlackHatHunter

Title:
Seven Spanish Angels

Credits:
Willie Nelson

Fendouglas Comments:

Another piece of whimsy from my pal Ed Pickford. I did one of Eddie's songs for the December VOM (35) and poor Etienne Rambert was totally bemused by the concept of a Crested Newt called Fred, so god knows what he'll make of this (apart from the awful French!).

Not 'politically correct', I know, but great fun to sing to a live audience, when the most can be made of facial expressions and gestures.

Absentee Post from:
Fendouglas

Title:
Le Voyeur

Credits:
Ed Pickford

• Members

I won't be posting this month.

I listened to these through crap Logitech headphones this week. I have better headphones for recording. But I think listening through crap headphones is a good way to judge a recording in the age of iPods & Youtube.

Mr. Mo -- Excellent live sound on the guitar. I think your voice is probably very good, better than mine. But I can't hear it very well on this recording. I hear enough to know you have a good voice. Your guitar finger-style is excellent.

Garthman -- To me this is a very British Rock piece, early Moody Blues maybe. Your voice sounds good as does your playing. I remember listening to stuff like this when I was a GI in Germany, stoned. The phase is a little strong on this recording.

FastBlueHeeler: Your voice needs to be a lot louder if you ask me. This could be a really superb rendition of this song. Your voice is excellent. We need to hear it. Your guitar playing on this is perfect for this song. And the recording of the guitar sounds great - even through my crap Logitech headphones. But why is your voice so soft?

BlackHatHunter: I really like your voice a lot. Your voice and your playing are both really good. I think you should mix the voice about 10% louder.

Fendouglas: I love it. You need a better recording of your guitar playing though. Otherwise, it's great.

Y'all sing really well. I'm jealous.

• Members

This isn't acoustic, so it may not be allowed. This is a practice my band recorded. Song is "Can I Change My Mind" by Tyrone Davis, and covered by Delbert McClinton. Recorded at GC on overhead mics. Guitar was lost, organ too loud, and I EFFED the harmonica solo up! I'm also playing keys on this.
  • Members

g'morning...still maintaining the glow from another independence day...and mavs championship, for that matter...rock flowers, making good on a promise to my wife to put some scripture in a song....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=908060&songID=10812516
rock flowers

g em g
did you see the beak on that bird?
d c
the once cherished fondness
g
so distant now.

have you heard a sound so sweet?
the lone harmony of sisters
backseat bands.

what time does the fireworks start?
can they shoot 'em off right now
celebrate freedom.

when does the sun go down here?
dominicans all around
island hearts.

how could i ever know you cared?
five ten woman in heels
snaps her fingers, they all come running around.

where will we be ten years from now?
grey beard and beat up hands
praying for others.

fight the good fight of the faith.
first timothy six twelve
rock flowers.

• Members

Greetings. This month's submission is one of my newer songs. I wish that I could say that this was a once and done take but the technology gremlins and brain farts seemed to be ruling the day. There are a couple of small flubs but you will have this. The title is "Stones Of The Lost'

Enjoy

Tony

• Members

Wow, not very many entries this month. Summer vacation, I suppose.

Anyway, as I mentioned in the VOM "preview" thread, here is my very first original.

I came up with the chords a year or so ago and a few weeks ago I had the melody hit me. I enlisted a little help from some songwriters here and over on AGF and with their encouragement and a few cues, out came the lyrics.

It's a short little diddy about an empty nest couple deciding how to spend their golden years.

Together, Forever

• Members
Wow, not very many entries this month. Summer vacation, I suppose.

Anyway, as I mentioned in the VOM "preview" thread, here is my very first original.

I came up with the chords a year or so ago and a few weeks ago I had the melody hit me. I enlisted a little help from some songwriters here and over on AGF and with their encouragement and a few cues, out came the lyrics.

It's a short little diddy about an empty nest couple deciding how to spend their golden years.

Together, Forever

Nice! What took you so long?

• Members
Wow, not very many entries this month. Summer vacation, I suppose

I wish I could say Summer Vacation was my excuse for not having time to pick up a guitar since the last VOM. But, alas, I only have a crazy work schedule to blame. As such, I hope no one minds overly much that I'm bending the guidelines of the VOM this month and presenting an older recording of one of my favorite Guns 'n Roses tunes, Civil War.

Not that my current recording setup is spectacular, but, as this video shows, my old camera and audio setup left a bit to be desired. All guitar parts were played on my old Yamaha FG400a... aka my first guitar. The whistling is mine, but, you can thank the film "Cool Hand Luke" and Strother Martin for the spoken audio. The two solos were inspired by Slash's brilliant guitar work, but, are of my own creation.

All of the audio layers were recorded first with the video synced afterward. Here's hoping you all enjoy it :)

Title: Civil War
Originally By: Guns 'n Roses

• Members
To finish the song? I'm not good at developing melodies or writing lyrics.

Thanks for the listen, though.

Actually, I meant to write one. :)

Great first effort, though. And now you've cracked the glass--or rather (given our surroundings) wooden--ceiling! :thu:

• Members

A surprisingly light turnout this month. But still not lacking in entertainment.

mrmoe - Always like your songs. Your voice is one of those perfect story telling voices. Would have loved to have been there.

garthman - very erie. I'll have to look this one up. Love the effects.

BlackHatHunter - beautiful. That was a treat.

Fendouglas - another great storytelling voice. You pull these songs off so well.

fastblueheeler - nice pickin'. Vocals could have been a little louder, but you still did it well.

Michael Martin - interesting song. A bit of a departure from your other works.

kujozilla - nicely done. You got that feel with the slide.

wkendhacker - acoustic or not, it still rocked. The harp solo did kind of bite. But hey, it was practice, right?

hypcollector - oohhh, kay. Not sure what to make of that one.

TSMusic - a pretty cool song. It kind of gets lost in the middle, for me. Maybe the "flubs" were enough to mess with me.

Mike_E_McGee - gotta love dem blues. You pulled that one off. Nice job.

Frets99 - balanced is as balanced does. Well done, Frets. You are so versitile.

Chordchunker - great blues tune. Loved your playing too. That was a toe-tapper, fo sho!

Fussenkuh - your playing is always solid. This was no exception. Loved the solos. Gotta get some vocals though.

• Members

Actually, I meant to write one.
:)

Great first effort, though. And now you've cracked the glass--or rather (given our surroundings) wooden--ceiling!
:thu:

I've never really considered trying to write. I've messed around and put some nice chords together, but that's it.

Maybe this is the start something.

• Members

Well, by my clock it's almost closing time ... but you know what? If it's still Second Sunday where you live, keep posting. Even it's a bit past Second Sunday and Monday Morning is blinking its bright eyes in your face ...

post 'em if you got 'em!

The mic is still on if you need it ...