DIY Saddle Shims

Stackabones

• Members

I've got 5x7" pieces of brass in various thicknesses, .015, .020, etc, that I got at the Ace hardware store for couple dollars each.

Brass is an excellent sound conductor.

Cut a piece to size & drop it in.

Rule of thumb: if you want a .010" increase in string height at the 12th, you'll need .020" shim at the saddle.

• Members

Good ideas, folks!

I think I'm going to go with old credit cards. It's cheap. I don't have to go anywhere. And I can screw it up without too much :facepalm:.

Still, keep the ideas coming. Free is better than cheap, though cheap may work better than free. :lol:

• Members

I've used a small scrap of wood from the shop. Any good hardwood will do. Work on it with a good sharp Xacto knife til you have it to the shape you want. Regardless of what you use, lap it flat with some hundred grit sandpaper on a good flat surface.

BTW, if you use pasta, I would definitely not recommend using cooked pasta. :D

• Members

I have some shims lying around at all times... since I have so many ukuleles and other instruments coming and going. I shimmed the latest uke, the Ohana CKP-70 (Vita-Uke reproduction I posted a few days ago). The action was too low and there was a dead spot as a result on the 3rd and 4th fret of the "E" string. The shim helped, but, didn't fix it. I switched strings to Martin Fluorocarbons and that fixed the issue. I left the shim in place and the action is great.

Archived