Yamaha FG700S or FG730S?

Broadus

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

FG730S & FG700S Cont..

So i wanted to give it a few days before giving my thoughts on the difference in sound ,sustain, and overall playability so i could make a render a fair and clear assessment of these two guitars.(If you haven't already read my other posts on this subject, now now would be a good time) As stated earlier i put the bone in the 700 1st and of the two guitars, the FG700S benefited the most. Now i know some people may think the FG730S has more bass but here is my assessment. If you know theses two guitars (like cardinal49,Florida Gator and I, who have access to both) You know that the FG700S although mellower has a deeper roll off on the low/low mid end, but because of this pitch/octave difference between it & the FG730S its Lows do not smack you in the face like its brother(FG730S). In fact, i think some of its Low bass seems almost in-audible to the ear compared to 730's E string for example , which has a slightly higher octave, which gives off the illusion of having more bass actually to the human ear, but if you ask . One might describe the FG700S as a warmer sound .(This axe really grows on you)

• 2 years later...
  • Members

2 1/2 years later and I still have yet to hear a better guitar for the money !

Agreed. I always keep my eye open on CL to see if I can grab one for under $200. I have a FG413S ... which is similar to the 700. But doing a side by side comparison of 700 vs. 730 in the store ... the 730 wins hands down.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

I purchased a Yamaha fg 730s a few yrs back and found it to be a good sounding guitar and better than many much more expensive ive tried in stores and decided then and there to myself I aint buying a more expensive guitar when the Yamaha fg 730 is even a nicer tone and nicer thinner neck than many which I also prefer

Quick edit,

I did purchase a bone saddle in which also added to the sustain also and worth getting fitted into the bridge of the guitar as the saddles come as plastic which are fine but best with a bone saddle I reckon ..

• Members
I purchased a Yamaha fg 730s a few yrs back and found it to be a good sounding guitar and better than many much more expensive ive tried in stores and decided then and there to myself I aint buying a more expensive guitar when the Yamaha fg 730 is even a nicer tone and nicer thinner neck than many which I also prefer

Quick edit,

I did purchase a bone saddle in which also added to the sustain also and worth getting fitted into the saddle of the guitar as the saddles come as plastic which are fine but best with a bone saddle I reckon ..

Glad to see that the FG7xx series remains a series bang-for-the-buck. That's a guitar I wish I had kept, but I moved from dreads to OM's several years back. Congratulations on yours!

• Members

Cheers Broadus,

Also i prefer personally using D'Addarios EJ 16s light strings with the Yamaha FG 730 personally

on that particular guitar . As was mentioned to me from an old friend whom said about them strings

and he knows who he is . thanks again m8 :D

• Members

Nah.

I'm not attached to this trainwreck anymore.

It'll go down with the mothership anyway.

And lately, the administration has been much more rigorous - this time for the better.

So, whoever rants will end up in thr rants forum anyway.

• Members

Understood. Obviously, I haven't been around for a good while. Used to be quite an eclectic and mostly good-natured group in the acoustic guitar forum, but things had a way of getting out of hand. Maybe the administration will get things turned around for the better.

• Members

With the utmost dignity and puffy chested pride I hereby declare to be facebookless to this very day. I am an outlander hold-out until someone bribes me handsomely to join. Err...wrong turn? What's this thread about?

• Members

You can express that you enjoy, like, find positive, endorse, whatever .... the specific post by clicking the thumbs-up and hence express your positivity towards this without going to the extent of having to explicitly write a specific post in the thread.

In regards to the possible return of a venerable Scot which IMHO had a permaban here...

Archived