VOM 43 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, August 14, 2011

Stackabones

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Absentee Postings

hypcollector Comments:

good morning/afternoon/evening....down in galveston for a few days to sit in the ocean and eat some shrimps....no hurricane gonna keep the galvestonians down. all the skittish moved to houston after 1900, leaving only tough, steely coastal texans in galveston...a jewel on the texas coast....>>....gutter world is not a pessimistic song...it's about living, not wishing for something so elusive as peace....

--gutter world--

c g c

don't waste your time wishing for peace

f c

cause peace ain't gonna come

c g c

people are cranky and selfish and mean

g f c

there's not a peaceful one

amber vision eyes and waves of grain

our greatness is make believe

the rotten mullahs and men of God

should be hanging from a tree

g f c

thought i'd find peace if i closed my eyes

g c

and prayed to the Holy Spirit

g f c

He talked back to me and said listen son

g c

death is peace so don't fear it

since that time i've lived free and clear

holding on to the truth

gotta live through this gutter world

before we can eat the fruit

nothing is really the end of the world

crashes or wars or sex

we worry and fret and loose our sleep

we become emotional wrecks

what you need is a healthy apathy

to the troubles of this life

help people along this dirty path

peace on earth is such a lie

Absentee Post from:
hypcollector

Title:
gutter world

Credits:
p gorman

tbryson Comments:

I did this as a 1 take for Vom...I used a Taylor 214 and used a simple picking pattern finger style. Gonna have to learn a new pattern cause they are starting to all sorta sound the same. When I go to play the same pattern pops out everytime...anyway Taj Mahal song that someone in HCAG posted and I liked it and learned it but I do it this way...Thanks!!

Absentee Post from:
tbryson

Title:
Cakewalk into Town

Credits:
Taj Mahal

FussenKuh Comments:

Finally got a little bit of free time to pick up my guitar again. This quick ditty was the result of that time. I'd suspect that this song really has nothing to do with the Irish (musically or otherwise). However that's what popped into my head as it was created... and, since I wrote it, I get to name it ;-) Hope someone enjoys it! I know I enjoyed creating it :-)

Absentee Post from:
FussenKuh

Title:
An Irishman's Tale

Credits:
Original

garthman Comments:

For Lauren who, I remember, likes this song.

Played on my nylon string dreadnought and recorded in one take with my little computer microphone and Audacity

Absentee Post from:
garthman

Title:
As I Roved Out

Credits:
Traditional

rhancox Comments:

This one took me a while to get down. Lots of stuff going on in this song. The more I listened, the more I picked up. I watched other renditions on YouTube and noticed even more.

It's not perfect, but it sure was fun getting to this point.

Enjoy.

Absentee Post from:
rhancox

Title:
Wond'ring Aloud

Credits:
Jethro Tull/Ian Anderson

chriscarnucci Comments:

Just a little something we through together late last night! It's me on guitar (Gibson L4A) and vocals with my step daughters fiance Mike Majdeski on harmonica and vocals. This is Mike's first time on the VOM.

Absentee Post from:
chriscarnucci

Title:
Knocking on Heaven's Door

Credits:
Bob Dylan

• Members

Castel_SantAngelo-image-25.jpg

This is one that I wrote this summer in Rome in bits and pieces, finally finishing it a week or so after I went to the Castel Sant'Angelo--my first time inside. I find great inspiration in ancient buildings and remarkable women. Plus, I found a connection with Michael the Archangel, standing guard and putting his sword away. There is a bronze statue of him on top of the Castel Sant'Angelo, and another more beautiful marble statue of him inside in a courtyard.

Recorded in wee hours after too much eating, drinking, talking, and walking around Trastevere. Decided to try recording it on this old crappy EKO nylon-string that had significant fret-buzz issues on the low E as well as dead high E and B strings (instead of my other EKO, a dread). Somehow I thought a tall glass of grappa at 1am would help. I think I had 8 or 9 false starts before I finally made it all the way through. Recorded on a Zoom H2. Street noises from the piazza below can be heard through the huge open windows of the apartment's living room.

http://www.box.net/shared/t8a4u0sgcx6ktoy03v79

Castel Sant'Angelo

• Members

Voodoo Child (Slight Return)

Jimi Hendrix

[video=youtube;gF6MBiQar8o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF6MBiQar8o

I used to play a lot of slide. For whatever reasons, I haven't really done much in the last decade and a half or so. Turns out I really missed it. In the last month, I've been working hard trying to get back into it.

This Hendrix tune I've done in standard tuning, but I wanted to try it out in open E on bottleneck. Just before I shot this vid, I ran through and modified my arrangement so that I could play it with the bottleneck. That archtop is some no-name that I picked up almost two decades ago in a Dallas guitar store. Neck is very wide and quite chunky with a V-shape. There's a stamp inside, kinda like those old library due-date stamps, that appears to say "Mar 1939" -- though the 9 is a little smudged and it could be a 5. This is the guitar I learned how to play bottleneck, and I've had this bottleneck for around twenty years or so.

• Members

One of the best collections of recordings in VOM lore...

Fussenkuh...That was freaking awesome. Listened twice.

rhacox...Nicely done. A tough one to do.

ChrisC/Mike...Wow, great playing on both instruments and singing...an acoustic duo.

Stack...you got style.

MM...One of your best yet...real good.

• Members

hypcollector: Hey Paul I really like your song a lot. Says it all.

tbryson: great song choice! great song and nice job on your whistling too!

FussenKuh: Great original instrumental. Like the guitar tone and the mixing of the videos.

rhancox: Such great playing and singing! You capture Tull's spirit in your vocal. Great audio too!

chriscarnucci: You got the feeling!! Like the additional vocal on the chorus.

Michael Martin: Ah yes Rome! Love that city....this is a really special song...great imagery in your lyrics

Stackabones: Awesome! Bluesman Stack! very engaging perfromance

Starrshine: Beautiful! Like what you did with harmonics at the end.

• Members

Story behind this song: I think my 3 year old daughter is gifting songs to me from above somehow.

It has happened again. A song came to me suddenly and fast while spending time with her.

I took my Daughter out to dinner for a Daddy/Daughter night and while looking at her saw the similarities

with my wife.

Started having sentimental thoughts about my wife and suddenly this song came to me like a bolt of lightning.

I asked the waitress for a pen and then wrote it all down on a napkin fast.

Later on I made some music and recorded it reading directly from the napkin.

No edits, no second guessing, just exactly as I wrote it.

I ad libbed the ending and made that up as I played.

So here it is raw and unpolished.

After recording it in one take I added a harmony vocal in one take.

[video=youtube;ESOgrt2fn1w]

• Members

[video=youtube;hOkkN1Vh_zY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOkkN1Vh_zY

Vestapol bitches!!!! (arrangement courtesy of Rick McKeon)

Poor boy, I'm a poor boy, a long way from home, a long way from home

I'm a poor boy and I'm a long long way from home

I'm a poor boy and I'm a long long way from home

and that ain't no way to get along

Goin' home gonna sit down and tell my mama, sit down and tell my mama

I'm goin' home gonna sit down and tell my mama

I'm goin' home gonna sit down and tell my mama

Low down women mama they treat your poor boy wrong, treat your poor son wrong

These lowdown women mama, treat your poor boy wrong

Lowdown women mama, treat your poor boy wrong

They treat me, like my, heart were made of stone, like my heart were made of stone

they treat me like my heart were a rock or stone

they treat me like my heart were a rock or stone

I wish some train'd come and take me away from here, take me away from here

I wish some train'd come, take me away from here

I wish some train'd come take me away from here

It's enough to, make a man, wish he's dead and gone, wish he's dead and gone

It's enough to make a man wish he were dead and gone

It's enough to make a man wish he were dead and gone

I sit by the roadside and cry alone by myself, cry alone by myself

I sit by the roadside and cry alone by myself

I sit by the roadside and cry alone by myself

*goes back to bed*

• Members

Long Story:

my daughter asked for guitar advice & i recommended the FG series based on the thumbs up from here & getting a chance to try one locally. she picked up the yamaha FG730.

very bright & shimmery. my j45 is really dead sounding in the upper strings in comparison.

anyway i devised this short little test piece intending to test intonation and overall balance. ironically the strings are lighter than i'm used to & i ham handed a couple pitches out, but no matter, not the guitar's fault :).

recorded with the iphone. afterwards i used one of the samplicity briscati reverb IRs to sweeten it slightly.

zCulnjoNeaU

Tab: http://www.box.net/shared/va1pqyhigt55h8o32p85

• Members

I'll listen to the others later. Here's mine, just completed and (for once) totally abiding by the "live one take" ethos with no processing whatsoever (except converting to MP3), as you can probably tell by the odd bum note in there. It's one of my own but it's usually a full band song with electric guitars etc. Thought I'd try it pared down to a single acoustic and vocal. It's called Coming Home and it's about being in New York City but wanting to be home in England. Hope you enjoy :)

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=Surrealistic/ComingHomeOneTake.mp3

• Members

Haven't listened to all yet but Michael Martin I think that's my favorite song of yours so far. Very natural sounding, great lyrics and love the change from strumming to fingerpicking.

Hypcollector, that is just a great song! It really grabbed me.

Chris Carnucci, you and Mike did an outstanding job on that one. I think you now own "Knocking on Heaven's Door".

Stack, those old archtops are great, you brought that one to life. "Like an old library stamp" from your description - great line for a song (just thinking out loud here).

• Members

hypcollector

"What you need is a healthy apathy" That sir, is a fantastic lyric. Nicely done!!

tbryson

Sounds great to me. The whistling is awesome! I can barely make a whistle sound, much less whistle in key. DO THAT SCORPIONS TUNE NEXT MONTH =D

Fussenkuh

You overdubbin' bastard!! Nice melody and good folky groove.

Garthman... File Does Not Exist :(

Rhancox

I hate Jethro Tull with a passion. That said, you played a tune I've never heard and you played it well. It sounds great. Knowing it's tull, I want to hate it, but I don't. Nice one, man.

chriscarnucci

I think you'll find that was written by W.Axl Rose. Please do your research next time. D: I was just going to ask if you overdubbed the harp as I read your comments. You sound great together!

Michael Martin

Senatus PopulusQue Romanorum...Someday Imma travel. I can only hope to be so inspired by it. Thanks!

Stack

You a damn magic boy!! *steals arrangement to put in the act* (haven't done that since Frets did Everybody Wants to Rule teh Wurld)

Starshine

I think of open G as a blues key, very nice to be reminded that there are more things than dreamt of in my philosophy

Gil

Someday before I die I'm going to write a song. I feel blessed for the talents I have (such as they are), but am quite envious of people who get it like that bolt of lightning. You've got a real gift to be able to vocalize and harmonize your inpirations!

McGee

Hack!

Fastbluesheeler

Following Gil's tune with yours has given me the Sunday mellows. Thanks for that. I'm not going to get a whole lot done today, and I'm okay with that.

extollo

great technique!! Crisp, clean, great note seperation, if that's you ham fisting... well, I don't play that well on my best days.

Surrealistic

That works great as a solo tune. Got a copy of it by the full band somewhere?

Kujozilla

Glad I'm not the only one to open with a throat clearing! Toe tappin' goodness. Thanks! You've inspired me to try a happy tune next month...now I have to learn a happy tune. D:

TSMusic

Heavy and contemplative. I got into music because I'm not great with words. It's amazing how much we can say without them.

• Members

Was dying of curiosity so had to give Rhancox a listen to find out which Tull bit you were doing. Of course! How did I not think of Wond'ring Aloud? I've only played it about 6000 times. Except never that well. You really did work out all his little runs that drive me batty. You are both more patient and more skillful than me!

Also very nice job with vocals. I think this is my favorite vocal performance by you ever. You really get that Ian Anderson vibe.

Nice sepia tones on the vid--mood enhancer.

Will listen to the rest later today. Especially intrigued with Garthman's...

• Members

I think I'll have to use the "since last VOM" rule to post in these. This is the second time in a row that I can't post due to being unable to do it last minute (came back from holliday yesterday at midnight) and the family stess means I can't do it today. I'll try and have a vid done this month when the time is there and post it next VOM.

Archived