VOM 44 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, September 11, 2011

Stackabones

• Members

Absentee Postings

Absentee Post from: tbryson

Title: Old Man

Credits: Tbry 2011

tbryson Comments:

This is fingerstyle, a pattern that I am using a lot of but this time I added an alternating C and G bass note...Once I got the ryhthm I was able to keep it going...a short little solo track, I then added a single strum track and the vocals over that. Taylor 214 guitar.

2011 tbry

Old man sitting by the side of the road

Telling me stories baring my soul

And don

• Members

I quit smoking the weeds a few weeks back. While there's still traces in my system, here's Stuff Smith's If You're a Viper:

[video=youtube;0XbnnDtq_JI]

Dream about a reefer, five foot long

A mighty mezz, but not too strong

Oh you'll get high, but not for long

If you'se a viper

I'm the king of everything

Gotta get high before I can swing

Light a tea, and let it be

If you'se a viper

When your throat gets dry, and you're mighty high,

and everything is dandy

Float on down to the candy shop and

bust your conk on peppermint candy

When you know your body's spent

and you can't even pay your rent

Rent's high, and so am I

If you'se a viper

• Members

Ridin' the Storm Out by REO from 1973 with a few changes. The more I played this song, the less I liked it. At some point Poco's "Good Feeling to Know" popped into my head. Guess it was the Mountain thing. Anyways, I used some "Good Feeling" Lyrics in my so called "arrangement". :facepalm:

http://www.box.net/shared/pudjiughsz7l9lq9epgp

• Members

Just got back from a much needed vacation so, as to be expected, there's lots of catching up to do... looking forward to checking out the VOM as I do it :thu:

Title: In This River

Originally By: Black Label Society

A couple years ago, I uploaded an instrumental renditon of this tune with some guitar 'vocals' that was dedicated to a friend who had recently lost his father.

A fellow YouTuber, Kevin Wright (KkHord - http://www.youtube.com/user/KkHord ) stepped up and provided some quality vocal work to add to the mix. As a result, what you see is a remastered/remixed rendition of 'In This River.' I've removed the guitar 'voice' and Kevin layered in some vocal tracks. My thanks to Kevin for providing the vocals that this tune deserves!

Personally, I think the collaboration has been a success... here's hoping all of you out there agree!

[video=youtube;K1uB7P41Jt0]

Unfortunately, I can't find my original videos that I spliced together to make what your watching. As a result, the video footage doesn't make quite as much sense. The picture-in-picture is still correct, but, the main video shows my guitar 'vocals' from the original video... most of which are no longer heard in this rendition of the tune.

• Members

Nice work guys! I never would have thought of doing Riding the Storm Out as an acoustic tune!

Anyway, here is a new recording of a song I wrote in 2009, with some help from my friend John Perrault. I would have stripped it down to just acoustic guitar and vocals for VOM1T, but didn't have time to do a separate mix, since I was at a jam session all day yesterday. Sorry that it's not a simple acoustic gtr and vox only this time, although it still is mostly that. So here's the full arrangement. (It's the full arrangement so far anyway. I have a friend who will be adding some mandolin to this track.)

http://soundcloud.com/brad-lee-uebinger/just-a-river

Lyrics:

Through the heart of the country a river ran

It could purr like a woman and roar like a man

Just when you thought you knew its way

It would meet you with a different face

It used to carry dry goods all up and down

It even carried the blues to Chi-town

But there

• Members

Greetings. This month's post is a new song, I've been picking around with it for a while, but it finally came together on Wed. I recorded the video Thursday evening and also recorded the guitar part for the full version at the same time. I also got a little fancy with the video, I'm test driving the Sony Vegas Movie Studio software and decided to try some things out with it. That part didn't come out as well as I would have liked (the one camera moved a little while I was playing) but all in all it's not bad. The title of the song is Abaddons Ride.

Enjoy

Tony

[video=youtube;mbs2PFePBgQ]

• Members

Kudos to everyone so far. BLUtunes and Jkater, I especially liked your two entries.

I haven't logged onto HCAG in a long time. I'm sitting home sick. Two different people at work told me I sounded like Barry White. That was Wednesday, and I'm not any better. I'm going to miss a Folk Club song swap tonight - bummer. Anyway, I figured I could get through one song if I sang an octave lower. I don't know why I thought of this song, but here it is.

http://www.box.net/shared/kcp8lexugribcvutm7uk

Played with "Development Sample" Phosphor Bronze Beta Elixir strings that I was given in May 2005, supposed to play for a while, then send back to give comments. I've never had a reason to take them off my guitar. I had no idea how long I had these on until I ran across the return mailer in my closet a few weeks ago.

• Members

Hello everyone

I haven't had time to record anything recently so I was not going to participate this month. However I was called into work yesterday so I grabbed my 12 string and the pre-internet, hand-written lyrics and chords to "Early Morning Rain" by Peter, Paul & Mary that I worked out years and years ago - and that was probably the last time I played it - in case I had time to do something. The song has been going around in my head for the last day or so :idk:.

So, here it is - reading the lyrics and chords as I played, strumming my guitar with the side of my thumb, 1st take, warts and all. Computer mic + Audacity.

http://www.box.net/shared/u9liqbs194mugrkjqkb7

• Members

Here's mine to add to the kitty. This is my own piece (my music recordings account is on Soundclick, and it's kind of a hassle to post cover song performances on Soundclick). It's still a little rough, and is a work in progress. I ran out of time to do more work on it, since I had to work this Saturday, ended up oversleeping (from 6PM Saturday, until 9:30 AM Sunday! - there goes a goodly chunk of my free time!) and had to take care of other things (such as housecleaning). I noticed the 4th course of strings on my guitar may be a tad flat - after I checked the tuning, before doing the recording! :rolleyes: Oh well!

Edit: Oh! I forgot to mention, that this is a solo instrumental piece. The guitar used, was my Seagull 12-string

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11039513

• Members

Well, by my clock it's almost closing time ... but you know what? If it's still Second Sunday where you live, keep posting. Even it's a bit past Second Sunday and Monday Morning is blinking its bright eyes in your face ...

post 'em if you got 'em!

The mic is still on if you need it ...

Archived