Koa-vs-rosewood?

RushinDman

• Members

Where do you want it? Back/sides? Top? What do you want it on? Dreadnaught, ukulele? Are you going for flash or sound?

Your question makes as much sense as someone asking "How much is a house?" No offense.

Generally the more figured the wood, the more expensive. This has no bearing on the sound. When thinking of Koa as a tonewood, think more mahogany-like. It is more expensive on a guitar, usually in every case with the exception of Brazilian Rosewood.

• Members

Haha it's on a guitar back and sides. Actually the ones I were looking at are on eBay there's a garrison with koa back and sides really beautiful stylish wood they sent me more pics which make it even nicer and there's the g50-ce which has a rosewood back and sides. I have the g50 garrison dread and love it. But it has no electronics so I was considering purchasing one of these.

• Members

Koa is a great tonewood.

Soundwise it is between Hog and Rosewood, the plainer the more like Rosewood, at least in my experience

Highly figured Koa is often used more because of the looks, than b es cause of the sound. The figure means a lot of open ends and a less stable piece of wood, so you have to make it thicker and brace it heavier.

• Members

In my opinion koa varies a HUGE amount compared to other species of woods. Not just in figure...but in density and tap tone. It can be really porous a soft, more like mahogany....and the color is all over the place. I would even postulate that the working and tonal properties between Brazilian and Indian rosewood are smaller than the entire spectrum of how koa presents itself.

A few years ago, really figured koa sets were actually rarer than Brazilian rosewood back and side sets. I've always been of the impression that the back and sides really don't contribute much to tone anyway....But very figured koa has GOT to be the most beautiful wood on earth. I usually lump koa in with mahogany in working properties and deal with it more in terms of looks than anythng else

• Members

figured koa has GOT to be the most beautiful wood on earth. I usually lump koa in with mahogany in working properties and deal with it more in terms of looks than anythng else

Beautiful, no doubt. Straight grain produces great volume.

Have you seen book-matched Myrtle? It's another highly figured wood.

tk80_4sm.jpg

• Members

There are some exotics out there that are gorgeous for sure. Snakewood is one, but it's hard to find big pieces.

I have a back and side set of "mysterywood" that looks kind of like lacewood. It came from South America and I can't figure out what species it is. I really need to take pics. Maybe someone here knows.

• Members

There are some exotics out there that are gorgeous for sure. Snakewood is one, but it's hard to find big pieces.

I have a back and side set of "mysterywood" that looks kind of like lacewood. It came from South America and I can't figure out what species it is. I really need to take pics. Maybe someone here knows.

I had a lacewood ukulele from Kala Ukes that we gave away in a prize drawing for Ukulele Player Magazine. The lacewood was from the Far East. The uke had a solid spruce top, too. It made for a good acoustic combination. The lacewood, in this case, was a dappled grain. In a piece like that, it is hard to see the heartwood, there was so much dappling.

Here's a picture...

lacewood.jpg

• 9 years later...