String squeak - A rant.

baldbloke

• Members

String squeak happens. We all do it. Even the very best players are not immune to it. I try to reduce squeaking as much as I can. Not enough though. I need to practice lifting, moving and landing fretting fingers cleanly. I hate the sound of squeaking strings. And I suspect I make more string squeaks than I am aware of.

Sometimes though, when I hear a new, to me, tune being played on radio by professional and sometimes well known artists I simply can not believe the amount of string squeak I am hearing. I mean, obvious, loud and repeated squeak. So bad that it makes me cringe to listen to it. But then, as a hobby guitarist, I do tend to notice it more than perhaps the average casual listener.

I heard a tune yesterday by an upcoming British folk musician. Their new single. The squeak was so bad I find it impossible to believe that a producer would let a record be released like that. But it was released. Maybe Joe public doesn't mind guitar string squeak. Maybe it's just guitarists that are concerned about it.

Rant over.

An interesting video on Precision Polished Strings:

[video=youtube;vd0ohPGVm2U]

• Members

In that particular vid, I found the string squeak infinitely less troublesome than the very heavy-handed eq - or maybe it was just really bad amplification. Dunno.

In general, I really don't mind string squeak. I actually like it sometimes because it reminds me that I'm listening to a human. As in all things, I suppose a degree of management/moderation is key.

• Members

I've never tried coated strings. Are they quieter squeakwise?

Well, D'Addario EXPs are coated and I quit using them specifically because of their squeakiness! Can't tolerate 'em. I switched to Martin MSP4100s and I'm staying with 'em! (at about half the cost!)

• Members

Well, D'Addario EXPs are coated and I quit using them specifically because of their squeakiness! Can't tolerate 'em. I switched to Martin MSP4100s and I'm staying with 'em! (at about half the cost!)

True. I've used D'addarios and found them a bit squeaky. Elixirs though are quieter, squeakwise, than any other string I've tried.

• Members

I've never tried coated strings. Are they quieter squeakwise?

Back when I did the great string test one of the parts was a slide from the 2nd to 7th fret of the 4th string (I find that one pretty common is bluesy songs). In general the heavier the coating the less squeek, but you really have to listen to each. For example, a Polyweb has less squeek than a Nano, which has less than an uncoated string.

Also there are some long life strings that are not coated, typically they are as squeeky as a "normal" string.

Archived