Larrivee J05

RushinDman

• Members

im quite new to the forum so im not sure how to add pictures? Yes i have read this is a discountinued model not sure why this guitar has a great sound and is a cannon... For the price "used" it would be hard to compete i think...Also how do you add the guitars you own on your TAG name

• Members

Congratulations from the proud owner of one of their "entry level" 03 series! I've had my OM-03R (rosewood/sitka) for nearly 6 years now and it's a keeper. I'd put Larrivee's quality over Martin or Taylor - or even Breedlove. I think you're going to love it.

BTW, you're pretty close to Larrivee's older shop in Vancouver. What I'd do to be a fly on the wall there. IIRC back in the early 90s they had a shop there in Victoria.

• Members

Thanks this is the first Larrivee i have ever played and so far its seems to be a very versatile guitar and the price i paid for it well i dont think it would be worth selling so this one looks like a keeper as well....I still dont find it as great as my J45 but they are 2 different beasts.... Just out of curiosity if i were to install a pick up on this guitar would i wreck it? I have never done this to a guitar before and im pretty reluctant to do it...

what do you think>?

• Members

im quite new to the forum so im not sure how to add pictures? Yes i have read this is a discountinued model not sure why this guitar has a great sound and is a cannon... For the price "used" it would be hard to compete i think...Also how do you add the guitars you own on your TAG name

Congratulations - I hope you enjoy playing it.

To post photos you can either join a web hosting site like "Photobucket" (follow their instructions) or click on the "Go Advanced" tab and post the photo as an attachment.

To list your guitars, click on the "My Profile" tab at the top RH side of the main page and then list them using the "Signature" facility.

Pics get you goats.

• Members

Thanks this is the first Larrivee i have ever played and so far its seems to be a very versatile guitar and the price i paid for it well i dont think it would be worth selling so this one looks like a keeper as well....I still dont find it as great as my J45 but they are 2 different beasts.... Just out of curiosity if i were to install a pick up on this guitar would i wreck it? I have never done this to a guitar before and im pretty reluctant to do it...

what do you think>?

Not too difficult, if you're handy with tools and take your time, but having someone else do it isn't terribly expensive, either.

• Members

what do you think>?

Regarding the pickup, it shouldn't be too hard to do. They're actually designed to accommodate an endpin jack very easily; no routing out required. The tail block is also laminated (which FYI is the only laminated portion of the guitar) so it will tolerate drops on the butt better. As for the pickup type, many like to put soundboard or bridge plate transducer types like the K&K Pure Western (the mini is recommended due to the smaller size of the transducers in relation to the bridge plate) or the JJB. Installing an under saddle transducer should also just be a matter of drilling a hole in one end of the slot in the bridge and sanding down the underside of the bone saddle so that the element sits flush against the base of the channel and the underside of the saddle.

If you're going to want an onboard preamp you have two options, either invasive or non-invasive:

- the invasive process involves cutting away a portion of the side making a "barn door" and putting a full-fledged onboard preamp/tuner panel. Personally I don't care for this and think it would detrimentally affect the value of the guitar should you decide to sell it down the road but at least Larrivee had the foresight to put a black felt patch inside the guitar where a preamp would go. This will help reduce tearout/cracking when cutting out the wood.

- the non-invasive process would be either going with a preamp that fits inside the soundhole with dials that are accessible from the rim of the soundhole or by going with an external preamp or PADI.

FWIW I went with the K&K Pure Western Mini and Pure XLR external preamp on my Larrivee OM-03R. I installed the triple transducers on my own using a homemade jig, a couple of wooden kabob skewers and some superglue as documented at frettech.com/kk. It gives a nice full signal with the preamp in the chain. I don't have an ideal amp so it can sound woofy but IMO is much more natural sounding than a UST. The downside is that it feeds back easily and it picks up everything - including ambient noise if you're recording with it and have the gain in your recording rig set up high enough. I play with a praise band that is mostly just other acoustic/electric guitars backing a number of vocalists (no bass or drums.) I use an electric guitar amp (40W Fender Hot Rod Deluxe tube amp) that is a bit too powerful so feedback is an issue but is not insurmountable so long as I keep my distance, keep my soundhole pointed away from the speaker and keep my volume down to 3 at the highest. I've never employed a feedback buster because I really can't play any louder without drowning everyone else out. I also find that the bass transducer is so strong that I carry the bass line in the songs while the other SBT-equipped A/E guitars carry the high end - but they don't feed back at all.

• 8 years later...
  • Members
4 hours ago, Notselrach said:

I've got a 1998 L-05 Jumbo 12 string that i am considering putting up for sale.  It is like new and has been played very little.  I am trying to find an estimate of its value and don't know where to look.....

Current listings for the 6-string version on Reverb.com run from $1250 on up.

Archived