Composite Acoustics - still in business?

EJStrat2Tone

• Members

So much for any lifetime warranty.
:(

I gotta say that if there is one guitar that I wouldn't worry about a lifetime warranty, it'd be a Composite Acoustics.

I'd worry more that they'll still be around in 1000 years, and people will have to bury them since they won't decompose.

• Members

I am now very glad I bought a Rainsong instead of CA but I don't know how strong they are. It is a very small company.

Glad I got the CA while they were still available. (I prefer them to Rainsong.)

The company may be gone, but the guitar is still here, good as ever.

• Members

I heard CA's don't have a truss rod but Rainsong's do. Doesn't this pose a problem if you want to adjust the action on the guitar?

Played a Rainsong recently, sounded really nice. So will it just be totally unaffected by the weather?

The price was pretty steep, you could buy a nice Martin HD-28 for the price and it seems the Martin would be an easier sell than Rainsong if you need the cash.

• Members

None of the classic series Rainsongs have truss rods, but their other model lines do have truss rods. Carbon fiber is pretty much bullet proof if it is laid up properly. From what I have seen of them you could hold up a building with a Rainsong neck so the lack of a truss rod would not really bother me much. They do seem to be utterly indifferent to weather, temperature, humidty....

Street prices for most new Rainsong models (e.g. WS1000) are typically a bit lower than a new HD-28, but not by a lot. There are exceptions too, their concert and hybrid models are pretty stoutly priced.

But if you're looking for the Martin D-28 sound you may not like the Rainsong sound and vice versa. They have very different tonal characteristics. The Rainsongs tend to feel and play more like electric guitars. Personally, I like them both, but I own a Martin and not a Rainsong.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 years later...
  • Members

I have an OX. For more than 10 years, I think. Bought it used. Rarely play anything else. It's even gone through airline baggage handling in and SKB semi soft case and arrived virtually in tune. Can't imagine life without it The only instrument I've ever had that I'd replace if I lost it or had stolen. Have a Cargo as well, beautiful and sweet, but expect to sell it because I don't need two CA's.

• 2 years later...