Hang 'em up boys

daklander

• Members

Besides, if I subscribed to this idea of some being gifted and some not, it would necessarily follow that "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are
not
created equal,...". Ah, hell, we already blew that out of the water with the notion of cultural diversity and special dispensation so I guess the idea of everyone being created differently is okay. Run with that if you want. I kinda like the original flavor.

The analogy does not fit the topic.

The Declaration of Independence is about one's rights regarding Government, not individual talent.

"That all men are created equal" does not have anything to do with talent, rather "that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

• Members

Huh? (about the first part)

It's my own opinion. I don't believe in magic or miracles. You may.

That's quite a stretch. What does seeing the inherant differences in humans abilities have to do with beliefs?

But I like to keep my head outta the sand. You may not.

• Members

That's quite a stretch. What does seeing the inherant differences in humans abilities have to do with beliefs?

But I like to keep my head outta the sand. You may not.

Because folks seem to attribute magical properties, ie: mastery of an instrument with little to no practice, to something I believe children are just naturally adaptable to. Sure, you have your savants, but they can't tie a shoe, for example, but can do amazing things with math, music, art, etc.. There are a lot of kids that would have absolutely no interest in playing the banjo, those would not be good candidates for "prodigy".. but maybe if you started them out with a tool set, they'd fix your dishwasher before you sent them to daycare. Don't get me wrong, it's cool kids do this, that parents offer them the support and time and teaching.

I think, and again, simply my own opinion, that children started out early, with an interest, will be pretty awesome. I don't attribute this display of talent to anything odd or special, other than that it clicks with them, and they're young enough and supple in the fingers enough to be great at it. Like a child learning a language fr'instance.

You disagree, that's cool. Sorry about the believing in magic remark, didn't mean for it to come off snarky. Hey, I could be wrong as well.

• Members

The standard way to determine if there are genetic components to some ability is via twin studies. The studies have been done, and most of them seem to conclude that a genetic trait for musical ability exists but it's weak compared to environmental factors.

So what drives people to put the hours in to get good? To me, that's more interesting than "talent."

I used to hire computer programmers, and I could immediately separate them into two groups -- the passionate computer geeks vs the career-oriented programmers.

You could almost always tell a good (passionate) programmer just by looking at them. :)

FamousComputerGuys.jpg

• Members

Nature or nurture?

My own opinion is: Nurture, with a heck of a lot of practice and positive encouragement.

Most of us probably think Tommy Emmanuel is talented. But he used to practice 17 hours a day to improve his playing. His advice to anyone is hard work. Put the effort in or you'll get nothing or very little out. If anyone has an authorative opinion on the nature v nurture debate, I reckon TEs advice is pretty reliable.

• Members

Nothing mystical about it, some are born with a better set of tools ( "talent" seems to be a dirty word around here) for a particular skill than others,i.e. coordination-memory retention-flexibility and so on. To deny this is puzzling to me, it's so easily seen in so many fields of endeavor. To each his own however, I won't belabor it any more.

• Members

Nothing mystical about it, some are born with a better set of tools ( "talent" seems to be a dirty word around here) for a particular skill than others,i.e. coordination-memory retention-flexibility and so on. To deny this is puzzling to me, it's so easily seen in so many fields of endeavor. To each his own however, I won't belabor it any more.

Poppy, I think that's the point espoused here. The "tools" would not be a gift, or a "prodigy" like status, but a proclivity, a predisposition toward a certain thing, a certain aptitude. We all have that in one direction or another, and the lucky ones find out, and are nurtured early. I think you could call it talent as well as you could call a good mechanic talented. That's what makes us individuals and soooooo different.

Archived