Hang 'em up boys

daklander

• Members
Tell me that ain't natural talent. 2 years on the banjo and he plays like that? Saw him on Letterman playing something with a lot of de-tuning in it----spot on.
Natural TALENT

Agreed. Obvious TALENT is obvious and undeniable. 1 in a million.

This stuff inspires me. Not that I don't feel the envy twinge, it's only natural.:cry:

• Members

Actually, the difficulty of what the kids is doing on banjo & fiddle is pretty much standard fare for 2 yrs of steady practice. Easier when you are young, fearless, and dedicated, synapses still forming at a rapid rate. For an older person, it would be more like 2 yrs of really hard and intense practice.

I've known a few prodigies like this. A kid who started banjo at 6 or 7, Deering gave him a banjo by the time he was 11. He's a 20 something now, and still very good, but no Bela Fleck. I knew one kid who played on the opry stage when he was 12, Chet style guitarist, one of the best I ever heard when he was 15 or so. Rotted his liver away playing country covers in redneck dive bars.

Ain't no guarantees in life. A head start is great , wish I'd been encouraged at that age, but I had to strive and buy my own first guitar or instrument of any kind when I was 17. I was discouraged at every turn, high school band or chorus, old man made fun, for sissies. I let him influence me, and so did my mother, my loss. Wouldn't even spring fro a piano in the house. Mother had inherited an old pump organ that I used to love to pick out melodies on when I was little. She had it gutted and turned it into a desk. Did she ask me? Hell no. I begged her not to do it, but it did no good. I loved to draw as a child. Did I get any art lessons or encouragement? Absolutely not. My parents viewed any artistic endeavor as a big waste of time and most likely a road to hell. I had to be almost grown and turn rebellious to play music. No money for lessons, no internet, no electronic tuners. But I never gave up.

Prodigies are no reason to give up and not enjoy what you can do at any level.

• Members

Exactamundo! Start young, practice daily, get plenty of parental support. Those are the keys.

I didn't have any of those ingredients. No regrets. It means I'll have plenty to keep me busy learning stuff in my old age. :)

• Members

Exactamundo! Start young, practice daily, get plenty of parental support. Those are the keys.

I didn't have any of those ingredients. No regrets. It means I'll have plenty to keep me busy learning stuff in my old age.
:)

Yes. My point is most prodigies are just lucky. They get support and encouragement for something they have a interest and proclivity for.

I hate to sound bitter towards my parents. They were not musical people and neither were my grandparents. They steered me towards practical pursuits because they did not want me to starve when I grew up. To their credit I did not end up playing covers in dive bars or starving. I got a college degree, which they paid for, which let me have a Civil Service career that paid well and I got to retire early. Now I can play all I want, any time. I may never be all that good, but I can keep getting better until I leave this world and have fun doing it.

• Members

The early encouragement and child prodigy thing is pretty fascinating stuff. I went to school with a kid who's dad was a famous child actor. Early success. Early money. Abused drugs and died an early death.

Sometimes I thank my parents for the hurdles they put in the way of the stuff I wanted to do as a kid. :)

• Members

When you are young, learning something is easy. Let's take language. Prodigy? Special inherited talent? Tell that to an American 5 year old transplanted to France for a few years. Sure, he's got that "natural talent"...

Sorry guys, you didn't start young with supportive parents, or you could be just like Chris Theile, "Little" Ricky Skaggs, "Little" Stevie Wonder.........

• Members

Or even Tommy E.

He received his first guitar in 1959 at age four, being taught by his mother to accompany her playing lap steel guitar. At the age of 7 he heard Chet Atkins on the radio. He vividly remembers this moment and says it greatly inspired him.[3]

• Members

When you are young, learning something is easy. Let's take language. Prodigy? Special inherited talent? Tell that to an American 5 year old transplanted to France for a few years. Sure, he's got that "natural talent"...

Sorry guys, you didn't start young with supportive parents, or you could be just like Chris Theile, "Little" Ricky Skaggs, "Little" Stevie Wonder.........

False. And strange that you can't admit to such an obvious thing. A thing that's not fair, but a thing we all learn from an early age.

So how about sports or academics....etc....curious do you still believe we are all born with the ability to be "the best" at, if properly nurtured?

• Members

It's obviously a mix of genetics, practice, timing, etc. But which factors are most important for music? For sports, it helps to have different mixes of fast-twitch muscle and slow-twitch muscle. For academics, maybe spatial reasoning helps in some fields.

For the banjo, what would be the genetic factors? Fingers? A tolerance for loud noises? The ability to lift 12lbs at a young age?

It's mostly a matter of how driven you are -- how absorbed you can get in what you're doing. That's why some autistic kids are seen as "gifted." They can focus for long times on tasks that most of us would consider boring.

• Members

Of course some things come more naturally to some than others. Each human is unique and is more disposed towards some things than others. Not every child will play an instrument no matter how much nurture they get in that direction. Maybe they are more interested in sports or books. But if the child is interested and wants to, nurture and encouragement gives him a big leg up.

• Members

Brains are cool. Lots of pre-programmed stuff. We inherit all of that stuff. Most of it evolved over a long time. Some of it more recently -- it changes a bit with each mix of chromosomes.

But there's a bunch of unprogrammed stuff too. How do we fill that stuff? Feedback loops. Monkey see. Monkey do. If monkey likes, monkey does it more.

What does monkey like? Ah, perhaps that comes from the pre-programmed stuff. :)

• Members

False. And strange that you can't admit to such an obvious thing. A thing that's not fair, but a thing we all learn from an early age.

So how about sports or academics....etc....curious do you still believe we are all born with the ability to be "the best" at, if properly nurtured?

Huh? (about the first part)

It's my own opinion. I don't believe in magic or miracles. You may.

Archived