Cort all solid vs. Yamaha solid top

Azrel

• Members

Hello everyone. :wave:

I am in process of buying acoustic guitar and I chose to buy Yamaha LL6 (or LS6), both are solid top / laminated back and sides.

Then I saw Cort AS E4 guitar , all solid wood , bone nut and saddle , with hard-shell case for less than price of Yamaha guitar , so I am wondering where is the catch?

You get all solid wood guitar with better nut/saddle and better case for less money.

Does anyone have any experience with Cort AS series ? There are no reviews on web , which I find a bit strange.

Thanks in advance and sorry for bad English.

Yamaha LL6 (550-600 euro in my country):

Body: Jumbo Type

Top: Solid Engelmann Spruce

Back: Rosewood

Side: Rosewood

Neck: Mahogany, Rosewood (3 ply)

Fingerboard: Ebony

Bridge: Ebony

Body Depth: 100-125 mm (3 15/16"-4 15/16")

Nut Width: 44 mm (1 3/4")

String Length: 650 mm (25 9/16")

Tuners: Diecast Gold

Standard Acc.: Form Case

Cort AS E4 (500 euro):

BODY: Dreadnought, Solid Sitka Spruce Top with Solid Mahogany Back & Sides

NECK: Mahogany

BINDING: Maple

FRETBOARD: Rosewood

SCALE: 25.3" (643mm)

TUNERS: Die cast

BRIDGE: Rosewood

SPECIAL: Genuine Bone Nut & Saddle

ADDITIONAL: Included Hardcase

• Members

Welcome to the forum, Azrel. And, by the way, there's nothing wrong with your English. It's very good.

I don't have any experience with Cort guitars, but I've read some nice reviews of them. I'm kind of partial to Yamahas, but I'm also partial to sitka spruce rather than Englemann. Englemann spruce doesn't seem to age like sitka and I like a guitar's color to darken as it ages. Englemann, in a lot of cases, stays about the same color as it is when new. At least, that's been my experience. I'm sure others would have different opinions about that.

Both of these guitars have nice features, but I'd have to play both of them on the same day before I could make a decision as to which one I'd like better. I think either one would be very nice.

One more thing. Simply being an "all solid wood" guitar doesn't always mean it's better when new nor does it mean it'll sound better as it ages. There are some very nice guitars on the market with solid tops and laminated backs and sides that sound better than some all solid wood models.

So........play both and buy the one that sounds and plays the best. Tough desision, I know....but it's one that you have to make for yourself. Hope you pick the right one.

• Members

Biggest difference I see is that the Yammy Rosewood back and sides vs Cort mahogany. That usually translates into a price difference of a couple of hundred bucks. I like both materials, but here you get into the realm of preference on a personal level.

I am one of those who prefer a foam case over a hard one (so sue me).

I don't have access to either, which would should be the decider, the test drive.

• Members

Apples vs. oranges. One is a rosewood jumbo, the other a mahogany dreadnaught. Yamaha makes good guitars, Cort does too. On paper and all else being equal, the Cort has better specs (i.e., all solid wood) but you don't play specs or paper, nor do you listen to them. It's extremely unlikely both guitars will sound the same. Play both if at all possible and see which you like.

• Members

Hello & Welcome

Both of these brands are very good. I've played many Cort models and all were good quality, well-made instruments that sounded and played very well. Similarly Yamaha guitars are very hard to beat for the price.

Best advice I can give is to play them both and pick the one you like best.

• Members

Back that claim up with some facts, and maybe you'll be taken seriously.

Just searched for "Cort guitars ethics" and found a number of blog posts regarding Cort's treatment of workers. Here's a sample:

Cort Guitars, the Korean equipment manufacturer for guitar companies such as Gibson and Fender, fired all of its Korean workers and closed all of its Korean plants in an illegal and immoral move to avoid "paying proper taxes" and "fix deplorable working conditions" in 2007.

In 2006, the workers had formed a union demanding justice and dignity in the workplace.

Read more here if you want: http://peoplesworld.org/guitars-should-be-a-means-to-liberation-not-exploitation-says-rage-s-morello/

• Members

I've owned and liked a Yamaha LJ-6 with rosewood laminated back and sides and still want to kick myself for selling it. They have some of the finest quality control on their acoustics. I don't know much about Cort but they are one of the largest guitar manufacturers in the world. They must be doing something right. The Yamaha sounded great, though.

BigAl

• Members

Where I live, Cort is like the Behringer of guitars. Yamaha, for some reason, is god for acoustics around here. I don't agree. Someone posted, it's a decision only you can make, and that is VERY true. So in my opinion, if I had the two choices you have in front of you, I would choose to continue saving and wait for something better.

Archived