Neil Young sez "Piracy is the new radio, That's how music gets around."

g6120

• Members

Interesting take. It IS quite true that until the 20th century--and really just the last few decades of it---nobody ever really got rich from making or even performing music

Au contraire. Some of the famous composers of the past were quite well off by the standards of the day, Beethoven and Bach for example. Of course, they were supported by wealthy patrons or the church, but really not all that much different than being subsidized by a label back in the 60s and 70s. They had to produce to keep the cash coming. Beethoven made enough to support 10 kids in a nice home- perhaps not as rich as today's standards, but back then, he would have been among the top 10% of earners, maybe even the 1%. Of course, these guys were the exception, not the rule (much like today), but they did exist.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

People with no intellect can not understand people who earn their living in intellectual property.

The not understanding of IP is very likely a genetic defect, it certainly exists since the beginning of humanity, and just because the world changed from Neanderthal to Digithal a few years ago does not change anything. The old wisdom is still true: "Born Stupid. Learned nothing. All forgotten. Died stupid".

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Au contraire. Some of the famous composers of the past were quite well off by the standards of the day, Beethoven and Bach for example. Of course, they were supported by wealthy patrons or the church, but really not all that much different than being subsidized by a label back in the 60s and 70s. They had to produce to keep the cash coming. Beethoven made enough to support 10 kids in a nice home- perhaps not as rich as today's standards, but back then, he would have been among the top 10% of earners, maybe even the 1%. Of course, these guys were the exception, not the rule (much like today), but they did exist.

I think you meant Bach. Beethoven never had kids. And he never was much rich either, because of his deafness, he couldn't perform and tour. He produced incredible work but was paid only one time for each piece of music he made, although he was supported by patrons. Most people know the composer but don't know he was considered the best pianist of his time, until deafness broke his dream of performing all over Europe.

• Members

I think you meant Bach. Beethoven never had kids. And he never was much rich either, because of his deafness, he couldn't perform and tour. He produced incredible work but was paid only one time for each piece of music he made, although he was supported by patrons. Most people know the composer but don't know he was considered the best pianist of his time, until deafness broke his dream of performing all over Europe.

Yes, good catch. It's been 35 years since my Music History class!

• Members

No problem man! I went to Vienna not long ago, and I visited his grave, an old house of his in a small village (Helligenstadt), and a little museum. Great city.

There was fresh flowers on his grave put there by people who would come and go with the utmost respect on their faces. I found it pretty moving.

• Members

he could hear what he wrote on the staff in his head...that's how good he was!

very likely he also heard it when we didn't wrote anything to paper, that's how composers are, nothing unusual,

and since you all know how this music was made back then, you all can write his 10th.

• Moderators

very likely he also heard it when we didn't wrote anything to paper, that's how composers are, nothing unusual,

and since you all know how this music was made back then, you all can write his 10th.

actually, a gifted composer such as he, with 'perfect pitch', could certainly know what the tones were as he envisioned/conceived/audio-imagined them; not unlike having a tune 'stuck in one's head', but with the ability to translate it to paper. The man was a genius, after all...no one will ever know exactly what he was absolutely capable of, or what was going on in his skull. I stumble on pieces of his work in my meanderings, and immediately recognize them as his...especially the 6th (

) 7th and 9th..and
...the 3rd...another personal favorite :cool:

yeah, who would have thought a' blues shouter' like me was into the classical...;)

• Members

Pat Metheney is another guy who can write out an entire composition sitting on a plane, take it to rehearsal, put it in front of the band and they play it. In one interview I read, he first did that when he was 18.

That is sheer talent and trust in his band members.

Archived