Copyright issues: background music for video blog?

Nevandal

• Members

I'm planning to launch a website in the following months. It will be somewhat of a video blog....informative/strategy oriented (not music related, or related to the music being played).

I am looking to play music to fill in the gaps of silence, and even in the background while I'm talking.

Mostly Instrumental music....mostly electronic.

What exactly constitutes "Fair Use"? The videos will be offered for free, on YouTube, and be an integral part of my website. Anyone will be able to watch the videos for free.

Where can I go to find artists that would be willing to let me use their music for this?

I'd like to use music that I prefer to listen to, but I'm not sure of the copyright issues regarding this....so I also thought about going out to musicians who have their music on the Internet and offering them a kind of way to get their music out there....and some exposure.

Does anyone know anything about this kind of stuff? Or can point me in the right direction?

• Members

Hey that's pretty sweet, I will check that out.

Are there any places I can go to get music from bands that aren't signed yet?

I was thinking more along the lines of a mutual kind of deal....

Like, I get to use their tracks, and their music gets exposure. I would need the music to get off the ground so I may license a few tracks, but I'd like to try to get new artists out there as well, and bring new music to the table, etc? You know, stuff noone listens to

• Members

As long as you get written approval to use the music from the writer, publisher and owner of the master recordings, it is all good. Some artist will release their music as creative commons, so you can use it as long as you give credit. If you want to be really simple, order a small royalty free production music library.

Archived