Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Stackabones

Roland Street Cube ... A Busker's Dream?

Recommended Posts

Total output of 5 watts is not so impressive. I don't know if the "AXL Thin Amp" can run off batteries but if they do I think they may be a better buy, especially at this price:

http://www.bananas.com/productdetail...able-Amplifier

These little beauties really pack a punch!

PS. Just checked and you can get a 3 hour rechargable battery pack as an optional extra.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote Originally Posted by garthman View Post
Total output of 5 watts is not so impressive. I don't know if the "AXL Thin Amp" can run off batteries but if they do I think they may be a better buy, especially at this price:

http://www.bananas.com/productdetail...able-Amplifier

These little beauties really pack a punch!

PS. Just checked and you can get a 3 hour rechargable battery pack as an optional extra.
Cool looking rig but, 3 hour rechargable battery pack at fifty bones????? How short a usage time is normal? The wattage difference won't make a difference for busking, IMO, and the speaker size is small so I would wonder about the tone. The size, and configuration is pretty good and the weight is super.
The Roland specs 15 hours continuous use. I would bet better tone from the larger speakers. Weight is certainly heftier but still not bad at under 12 lbs.

I think, I would choose the Roland but who knows, I've been wrong before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've not tried the Roland - you could be right - but believe me that little Thin amp sounds amazing for its size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If what you're going for is an over-driven "Chicago blues harp" amp or you want to crank your strat into nicely distorted raunch, this would be fine, but an origial Pignose works just as well for about $100...by the time you're loud enough to get something of a crowd, you're well into the distortion...2 X 2.5w leaves no headroom for a clear, clean sound.

The Thin Amp, too, is not a good "mini PA", but it's a lot of fun for an electric guitar...a buddy of mine busks with one for his electric fiddle, and it's great for electric usage!

For a nice, clean, clear vocal and/or acoustic instrument "mini PA", though, the Roland and the AXL'll be very disappointing...spend that $300 on a Crate Taxi 30 or a used Crate Limo...you'll be much happier!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Terry is right on. The crate Limo is premium sound, battery operated, dsp, and it works well as a monitor to boot. It even looks like the Roland copied the way it looks....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote Originally Posted by garthman View Post
How about this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Busker-Portabl...QQcmdZViewItem

Don't know anything about them but 15w into an 8" speaker sounds OK.
Looks a lot like a "clone" of the Crate Taxi 15:

267397.jpg
267398.jpg

Battery powered with tons of tone. Take your music anywhere, and play for up to 8 hours! The Crate Taxi provides everything you need to perform when you're far from any source of electricity. With the newly developed injection molded enclosure, the TX30BE has improved bass response and is lighter and more transportable than ever before! A specially designed Crate 8 in. woofer and Piezo tweeter ensure clean, loud performance from a full-range of frequencies. The TX30BE has 2 channels (one 1/4 in. mic/line and one 1/4 in. instrument). The instrument channel includes a 1/4 in. input, gain boost, 3-band EQ, and level. The 15-watt TX15 has the same 8 in. & piezo speaker configuration with an XLR-1/4 in. combi jack on channel 1. The Taxis includes a wall charger and 12V adapter. These amps are for anyone who requires portable, credible tone.

As avid guitar players themselves, Crate engineers build the gear they want to use. And as crafters of tone, they're naturally good listeners, not only to the purity of sound, but also to the insight of their fellow musicians, whose immeasurable experience is a driving force behind every piece of Crate gear.

TECHNICAL DESCRIPTION

Specifications

Output Power Rating:15WRMS @ 10% THD, 4 ohms, 13.6VDC in

Input Impedance:20k ohm

Maximum Input Signal Accepted:
- Input 1 Hi-Z 8V peak to peak, 2.75V RMS
- Input 1 Lo-Z 1.2V peak to peak, 40mV RMS
- Input 2 8V peak to peak, 2.75V RMS

Gain:
- Input 1: Hi-Z 52dB, Lo-Z 68dB
- Input 2: 52dB

Internal Speaker:
- Woofer Crate Custom 8 in., 4 ohm, 15 watt, 1 in. voice coil
- Tweeter: 2 in. Piezo

Channel EQ's:
- Low +/-15dB @ 70Hz
- Low Mid +/-12dB @ 385Hz
- High Mid +/-10dB @ 1.85kHz
- High +/-15dB @ 10kHz

Power Requirements:Internal 12 volt DC power supply DC adapter for use with 120VAC

Dimensions (W x H x D): 14.5 x 11.75 x 12 in.

Weight: 20 lbs.


While 15w is a definite improvement, a decided (to me) advantage of the Taxi 30 is the fact that when it's turned up to just below "feedback" level (on the mic channel) it's only on about 1/2 way, at most, so I have the headroom to have a very clean signal...a 15watter might not offer this much headroom (although I've never played through a Taxi 15, so I'm just speculating)...

Another negative aspect of the Taxi 15 is the fact that both channels use the same EQ...the 30 has seperate EQs for each channel (although the mic channel is just a simple tone control...still it works great).

267389.jpg

Don't know how hard it'd be to come up w/ a Taxi 30 out your way, but it might be worth your time to investigate this option or see if that company you referenced makes a more powerful version... idea.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 on the TX30. I bought mine USED for about $150, and I can still (three years later) get about eight hours on a charge at decent volume levels. It's really an amazingly versatile amp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bad thing about the Taxi 30 is that it's heavy (21 lbs if I'm not mistaken), so if you get it, don't forget to buy one of those little things people use to wheel their luggage at the airport (I totally forgot the name of those things).

I really like the idea of Roland making the Street Cube , if only it was a little bit louder...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Allan Hall

View Post

For a nice, clean, clear vocal and/or acoustic instrument "mini PA", though, the Roland and the AXL'll be very disappointing...spend that $300 on a Crate Taxi 30 or a used Crate Limo...you'll be much happier!

 

thumb.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as we are on the subject....Which amp would be better?

How much amp is needed to play for a small party, say 20-25 people and still have a comfortable sound level. I'm looking for an amp that can drive a passive pickup from an acoustic guitar and a microphone. Assuming both outdoor (yard) or indoor room.

Cost is an issue. $300 or less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used a Vox DA5 for a couple of years until I found a Peavey Solo "Portable" PA amp. I bought it used for $35 and it has 2 seperate channels with an XLR input for a microphone. It is 10 watts into an 8" speaker and had a much cleaner sound for vocals with plenty of volume. It's also very light in weight. I feel that this is a way better amp for busking with guitar and vocals. The only draw back is that the EQ controls both the instrument channel and the vocal channel but if you use an active DI with built in EQ for your guitar you can then have seperate control of the tone for it. Also...it's "Made in the USA" thumb.gif

Peavey%20Solo%20amp.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a Crate Taxi-15W. I think I paid around $150 or less for it. Can't say enough good things about it.
Lotta fun blastin ya buds out of the car with! smile.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote Originally Posted by C70man View Post
As long as we are on the subject....Which amp would be better?

How much amp is needed to play for a small party, say 20-25 people and still have a comfortable sound level. I'm looking for an amp that can drive a passive pickup from an acoustic guitar and a microphone. Assuming both outdoor (yard) or indoor room.

Cost is an issue. $300 or less.
The least I'd use is a Crate Taxi30...the Crate Taxi15 might lack the headroom to get the best sound for vox/acoustic guitar (caveat - this is only my suspicion, as I've actually never plugged into a T15)...I use my 30 for a lot of the small restaurants I gig at (indoor, usually) as well as for busking (outdoor, usually)...rarely do I need more power as the mic (Shure SM58) will feedback beyond a certain volume level, so it sets the parameters, and the tone is pretty acceptable. Easily found for $200 or less.

OTOH, you might be able to find a used Taxi50 (Limo) for $300, which also has decent built-in FX, as well as just a bit more power/headroom. idea.gif

In either case, set the amp on a barstool and it'll really project nicely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend of mine has one of these Fender paint can amps.
ampcan2.jpg
Battery seems to last about six hours, which is longer that I'd care to listen to it. wink.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote Originally Posted by Terry Allan Hall View Post
The least I'd use is a Crate Taxi30...the Crate Taxi15 might lack the headroom to get the best sound for vox/acoustic guitar (caveat - this is only my suspicion, as I've actually never plugged into a T15)...I use my 30 for a lot of the small restaurants I gig at (indoor, usually) as well as for busking (outdoor, usually)...rarely do I need more power as the mic (Shure SM58) will feedback beyond a certain volume level, so it sets the parameters, and the tone is pretty acceptable. Easily found for $200 or less.

OTOH, you might be able to find a used Taxi50 (Limo) for $300, which also has decent built-in FX, as well as just a bit more power/headroom. idea.gif

In either case, set the amp on a barstool and it'll really project nicely.
Thanks TAH....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
A friend of mine has one of these Fender paint can amps.
ampcan2.jpg
Battery seems to last about six hours, which is longer that I'd care to listen to it. wink.gif
Hahahhaa well put. I know someone with one of those too. Sound is pretty crappy. Bedroom amp for a beginner at best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I go out to see my guitar player/teacher perform last night and what is he playing?.....a Larrivee D03 (which I never saw him play before) thru a Crate CA120DG! Very nice sound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote Originally Posted by C70man

View Post

So I go out to see my guitar player/teacher perform last night and what is he playing?.....a Larrivee D03 (which I never saw him play before) thru a Crate CA120DG! Very nice sound.

 

The CA120DG is one of the best values out there for an acoustic amp! thumb.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...