Songs accepted for demo....need reality check

• Members

I sent some tunes in to a Nashville based promo company on a whim. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.....right?

So I just got a contract to sign for two of those songs. I send them money, they record the demos. I get wealthy, right?:cool:

Seriously, though....I need a reality check. :wave:

• Moderators

there are a bunch of, shall we say, unscrupulous people in Nville, NYC, Austin, Chi, LA, etc who are more than happy to assist you in furthering your career in the music biz...for a fee.

If they are really legit, they know they will make money on a good product, so they only take good product, and they don't charge the writer. That is not to say your material isn't good, you just got it to the wrong folks.

• Members

yeah

what mack said....

If it needs to be re-recorded (and it usually does unless you've sent them a master) the publisher likes to use their people...BUT it goes into your contract as recoupable. In other words yes you pay for the demo AFTER the song has been cut (which is usually never), the publisher takes the session costs out of your check. Similar to accounting on a record deal.If it's not set-up this way there's something a little "off"

I suppose it IS "unscrupulous" but they (and 100 other "scammy" "shady" practices) are part of the music business as much as giving lessons, licensing a song, designing artwork, accounting....yadayada

I'm guessing this "publisher" has an "artist development" branch too.

If you could get a better demo out of it just put a retraction clause in the 2nd draft (of course by the time you get through with the attorney you could have just paid for a better demo so never mind......duh).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

These are Vanity guys. The Paramount Song Group does this. Same thing happened to me a few years ago. I did send money and received faily good demos. I don't know if they were better then mine, but, lesson learned for me. That's about it.

Also Tate publishing does the same thing.

Archived