LAG Guitars. Any thoughts?

KevinTJH

• Members

I might be thinking of getting rid of my Guild 12-string for a 6-string acoustic that I will be playing a lot more.

Been contemplating on this guitar for some time.
http://www.beatstreetmusic.com/produ...?cPath=619_621

Does anyone have any experience with Lag acoustics? This particular model isn't available in Australia so it won't be that "try before you buy" experience in this case.

I'll honestly admit that part of the reason I want that guitar is due to its aesthetics, but it also fits in the budget.

I have read some good reviews about Lag guitars but nothing beats asking the community!
Please share your thoughts! Thanks in advance.

• Members

There was a review of a LAG 12 string a month or so ago in Acoustic Guitar magazine. AG rarely says anything bad about guitars that they review - as I recall it sounded pretty lack luster. My feeling is that this is one I would want to play first.

There was also a recent thread by someone from France who was considering a LAG (they are made in China and sold by a French company). You might want to fire up the HCAG killer search engine, find the thread and PM the poster to see if they every bought it and how they like it.

Either way, if you get one post a review.

• Members

A couple of the local stores here carry Lags, so I've played a few.

I have played the T100, but only unplugged, so I can't comment on the electronics. Acoustically, it was pretty thin sounding, not surprisingly considering it's size. Personally, I would probably pick a Yamaha APX500 II over the T100.

I have also played a couple of the Lag 12-string models. They were a little lacking in bass, but I liked the sound - I'm not looking for a lot of bass from a 12-string, I guess... All the Lags I've tried were very playable, I like the size & feel of their necks.

They also seem to be well made - good fit & finish on all the ones I've played. Between their rosettes and headstock shape, they have a look that is slightly different, but not radical, which appeals to me. I had a conversation with a Lag rep recently, and he told me that Lag actually owns and operates the factory in China where the guitars are built.

• Members

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Looks like there're quite a few different opinions here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
I have played the T100, but only unplugged, so I can't comment on the electronics. Acoustically, it was pretty thin sounding, not surprisingly considering it's size.
Personally I like bright, chime-like sounding acoustic guitars but I'm not sure if your definition of "thin sounding" refers to that or just a dead sounding acoustic guitar.

I've bought heaps of guitars that were made in China and most of them were very impressive except for my recent Ibanez nylon acoustic which was a bit of a let down.

Maybe I should consider something else?

• Members

I just came across LAG guitars at my local music store and was quite blown away by the 12-string. The action was amazing, it had good resonance, and was the best 12-string I have played for ease of finger-picking (keeping in mind, of course, that I only play cheap guitars). I think I will go back next week and pick one up.

Archived