How do I soften my Taylor? Too bright! Need warmth!

Gringosid

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Hey guys. A very intresting topic i find. Level of humidity Id say will affect the sound/brightness alot. Also I wish I could find a pick that was even ”softer” than nylon. It would certainly wear out and I wouldnt mind buying new ones. Some kind of bone or other organic material thats not completely dry or something. Dunno

• Members

I've now gone through 3 Taylors: 310; 320; 316. I just sold the 320 to pay for the Martin 16GT I bought in the fall. I find Taylors to be sterile, that top shimmer gets on my nerves after a while, the bass doesn't impress (except on the 320, even though there wasn't great sustain), the neck is not 'all that' for me (I prefer Martin necks). Oh yeah, funny the people you interact with when selling stuff. Someone offered me a 114CE or something for the 320. (Shakes head).

Taylors impress me the first couple of times I play them. It took me a while in each case to realize that the shiny modern sound wears thin on me after a while. I've already played the Martin 16GT more in 5 months than I did the 320 in almost 5 years.

YMMV

• Members
21 minutes ago, Glenn F said:

I've now gone through 3 Taylors: 310; 320; 316. I just sold the 320 to pay for the Martin 16GT I bought in the fall. I find Taylors to be sterile, that top shimmer gets on my nerves after a while, the bass doesn't impress (except on the 320, even though there wasn't great sustain), the neck is not 'all that' for me (I prefer Martin necks). Oh yeah, funny the people you interact with when selling stuff. Someone offered me a 114CE or something for the 320. (Shakes head).

Taylors impress me the first couple of times I play them. It took me a while in each case to realize that the shiny modern sound wears thin on me after a while. I've already played the Martin 16GT more in 5 months than I did the 320 in almost 5 years.

YMMV

I had the same experience.  I bought a Taylor 214 and really enjoyed it at first but its lack of a bottom end got more and more noticeable until I just didn't want to play it anymore.  Traded it in on a Martin 000-15M and that one really hit the spot.

• Members
17 hours ago, jtr654 said:

Buy a all solid wood guitars that will mature .

The majority of Taylors are all solid wood. Anything from the 300 series on up: https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/series/overview

300 Series Guitars

The all-solid-wood experience starts here. Choose from sapele with spruce, or blackwood with mahogany.

The key is to buy a guitar you like the sound of now instead of trying to "fix" it or waiting for it to "mature."

• Members
On 5/4/2020 at 6:27 AM, John2000 said:

Hey guys. A very intresting topic i find. Level of humidity Id say will affect the sound/brightness alot. Also I wish I could find a pick that was even ”softer” than nylon. It would certainly wear out and I wouldnt mind buying new ones. Some kind of bone or other organic material thats not completely dry or something. Dunno

So, you’re the guy that dredged this up.  Try cork.

I suppose there’s a situation for a softer, wetter pick...but I’m hard pressed to come up with one.  Not that John2000 will come back and engage in conversation, if the other 1 post guys IN THIS PARTICULAR SUBFORUM are any indication.  Of course, it’s just been a few days, let’s see.  John2000, are you a typical one-post wonder?  Will you please come back and talk acoustic guitars and soft picks?  Pretty please?  These regulars..well, they’re ..regular.  At least I hope so, nothing like a good morning movement I ALWAYS say.

• Members

At just 5 posts and a thread that's 7 years old the OP has mostly likely moved on and is now posing this question to the Dali Lama. If somebody searches this up though, here's my answer:

1: Try heavier gauge strings - by "heavier" I mean .013"-.056." Silk and steel are for guitars that are ready to fall apart or for people with carpal tunnel.

2: use a pick thicker than 1mm that's not made of hard plastic. You want something that will drive the strings but not make an annoying clicking sound

3: don't keep it in its case if the RH is above 35%, it needs to breathe.

4: play it like it owes you money. A big part of tone is in technique.

5: if that doesn't work, get a Martin.

• Members
On 5/7/2020 at 12:33 AM, jtr654 said:

HE said his 214.

He also said it seven years ago. Excuse me for not remembering. That said, my advice, to get a guitar you like in the first place instead of hoping it will improve stands.

• Members
1 hour ago, Gibson29 said:

😝if they do, don’t bet on them reading any posts..

I’m still wondering who’s actually digging up these zombie posts and what’s the best type of wood to use as a stake to put them down? Torrified spruce harvested on a Supermoon in Transylvania or sinker mahogany drudged from the bottom of the Amazon?

• Members
1 hour ago, kwakatak said:

I’m still wondering who’s actually digging up these zombie posts and what’s the best type of wood to use as a stake to put them down? Torrified spruce harvested on a Supermoon in Transylvania or sinker mahogany drudged from the bottom of the Amazon?

The wood from a “lawsuit” Takamine.  Like for like!

• Members

This is my Taylor 324-CE recorded with a THR-5A.

It is very bassy. My teacher was very surprised when he heard it. (He got a Taylor, lately.)

I was not supposed to buy a guitar the day I got it. I was looking at beaters. The guy in the shop told me to try the 324-CE. He told me it was its favorite... I HAD to get it... 

I have always loved Taylor guitars for their necks. Mine is just boomy! When I play it, I can feel the bass against my body! It just plays well and souds good, imo... 

Maybe I'm biased, but I like this sound!

The Jokeguitare seul.mp3

• Moderators

soak it in Palmolive...if it can soften hands, maybe it will soften your Taylor*....Madge recommends it!😉

Palmolive Dishwashing Liquid – Madge! | You're softening my … | Flickr

to Misha: I don't hear much bass at all in the clip you posted...

*likely not, my experience with Taylors is they do not 'mellow' with age, if anything they get  more brittle sounding, YMMV...

• Members
On 1/7/2013 at 8:25 PM, Gringosid said:

My recently purchased, 6 year old, US made Taylor 214e is starting to irritate. I love the feel and I love the sound, UNTIL I use a flat pick. Way too bright. I would even say tinny sounding. I heard phosphor bronze would help. I just put on some black diamond PBs and its even worse. When fingerpicking its fine.
Any solutions? Different strings? Replace the saddle? Buy a Martin? Oops...can't do that.
Thanks for any suggestions

Tips: Increase the string gauge, try Elixer coated strings.  Taylor did use Tusq nuts and saddles and do I dare say, change one of them to, gulp, plastic.  With that said ,I appreciate you posting this because I've told a number of people this in discussions before which seems to always get the reply BS.    

• Members
32 minutes ago, mikesr1963 said:

Tips: Increase the string gauge, try Elixer coated strings.  Taylor did use Tusq nuts and saddles and do I dare say, change one of them to, gulp, plastic.  With that said ,I appreciate you posting this because I've told a number of people this in discussions before which seems to always get the reply BS.    

You did see the date on the post you quoted, right? January 7, 2013? The OP is long gone, he hasn't been back since <Gasp!> January, 2013. It's a mystery why anyone resurrected it. And what part, exactly, is BS?

Archived