Yamaha FG335, how old is it?

• Moderators
On 8/27/2020 at 9:04 AM, firenze viola said:

I bought this guitar with my first salary, I played it for two or three years, then I put it in its case. Now, after 39 years, nine months ago, I started to play it again! I love its sound! But, please give me an advice. After a so long period which works would be better to do on it?

new strings first and foremost...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know how old it is but I could probably guess it's weight!   BigAl

Yep, can't dispute the Yamaha archive info, looked at it myself today. Could this be the early onset of Alzheimer's

My dad lets me use his...one of the warmest,most balanced sounding acoustics I've ever played! Especially since he told me me it was standing up on a bar and fell off! Despite that, its always,always

Posted Images

• Members

Well, I was last on here on June 11th 2014! (see photo from then). I still have the FG335, but haven't played it much recently. However, I'm just about to fit some fresh D'Addario Phosphor Bronze strings and we'll see how we get on...

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Sometime in the late 90s I took a guitar-playing friend to a music store and made him play every guitar in the bargain bin. I was planning to spend $100 but I went home with an FG335 for $50, because he said it was the best thing on the rack.

I played it forever, but it's been untouched for 5 or so years, as I mostly play 12 string these days.

Broke it out the other night. The frets are worn and the intonation is atrocious, but it sounds wonderful.

I'll never be able to compare it to guitars that cost more than a car (because I don't want to be That Guy who has guitars that cost more than a car), but it is clearly my best guitar when your rate them by dividing cost by sound! ;)

• Members
On 10/13/2020 at 11:36 AM, jetsam said:

Sometime in the late 90s I took a guitar-playing friend to a music store and made him play every guitar in the bargain bin. I was planning to spend $100 but I went home with an FG335 for $50, because he said it was the best thing on the rack.

I played it forever, but it's been untouched for 5 or so years, as I mostly play 12 string these days.

Broke it out the other night. The frets are worn and the intonation is atrocious, but it sounds wonderful.

I'll never be able to compare it to guitars that cost more than a car (because I don't want to be That Guy who has guitars that cost more than a car), but it is clearly my best guitar when your rate them by dividing cost by sound! ;)

Who are you, and why did you wake me?