Saw a Segovia guitar: somebody heard of this brand???????

Misha

• 4 years later...
  • Members

I'm about to pay $120 for a 12-string Segovia guitar. Not sure if model but the guy said it's never been played. I'll get it tomorrow. This is to replace my 12-string Ibanez which one of my ex gf's friends tripped and fell on it..snapping it in three places. I welcome all opinions and suggestions. Say hello to the newb, n00b. Peace from Glenburnie Ontario.

6717837f2f33aeaac5dde7fe20ac7b7e.thumb.png.aa10b3b7e98e8ed4cd09d3100192e51f.png

70802d099510cb92722dfbf75024c09f.thumb.png.c5b7aff282183f069beaaecc205e24fd.png

• Members

Ahhhhhhhh' date=' yeah, I know what a Segovia guitar is. I accidently ran across this website and your question, “Saw a Segovia guitar: somebody heard of this brand???????,” and was so taken aback I created an account for the sole purpose, of responding to your question.
The “BRAND” you speak of is actually the name of the father of “ALL” modern classical guitarists of today. In fact, if you ever take classical guitar lessons you can rest assured that you are taking lessons from someone who either learned from Andrés Segovia personally, or form one of his students, or from one of his students, students and so on.
Prior to Andrés Segovia the guitar was a folk instrument and was shunned by the classical community as an instrument for the uninitiated, low class, dregs of society. Andrés
Segovia spent his entire life transposing the classics and creating new masterpieces and transforming this lowly instrument into one of culture and refinement. He single handedly created the concept of classical guitar – PERIOD.
As far as the instrument you asked about that bears his name, you should be honored to poses such a fine piece of craftsmanship. It was handmade in Spain from the best wood available and by the hands of masters craftsmen. It was also built for next to no profit.
WHY – You may ask, would he go into business building guitars and not even attempt to make a profit? The simple answer to that question is, because he wanted everyone who had the desire to learn classical music, and more specifically classical guitar, to be able to learn it regardless of their economic situation. He wanted everyone to have the benefit of a high quality instrument with rich, true, tones and professional playability and the only way he could accomplish this goal was to sacrifice profit. Fortunately, by that point in his life he could afford to do so. He was recognized the world over as the father of classical guitar by then.
In short I would say, “if you have an opportunity to acquire a Segovia classical acoustic guitar – Jump on it with both feet.” That is a truly excellent, handmade, guitar and if you live to be 110 you will never regret the purchase.

Here is a link to the information that Wikipedia has on Andres Segovia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A9s_Segovia

[/quote']Well it's like an 18 string steel so must be another guy.

• Members

Hi Jay, welcome to the forum. From the looks of the headstock picture if its "never been played" it also hasn't been particularly taken care of. The thread should be self explanatory about Segovia guitars and if you owned an Ibanez 12 then you know what to look for when buying a used one. Let us know how it goes.

• Members
I'm about to pay $120 for a 12-string Segovia guitar. Not sure if model but the guy said it's never been played. I'll get it tomorrow. This is to replace my 12-string Ibanez which one of my ex gf's friends tripped and fell on it..snapping it in three places. I welcome all opinions and suggestions. Say hello to the newb' date=' n00b. Peace from Glenburnie Ontario.[/quote']

Hi and welcome to the Forum. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend it. Even if it hasn't been played, it's an old guitar and especially an old 12-string, which means potential issues. If you go look at it, let us know your impressions.

Archived