Yamaha FG-480S <3

StraySinger

• Members

@maccaminnie - Yes, I bought it new, probably in 1987 or 88. It ran me around $300 at the time, which, when I was making under $20k a year, was a TON of money, but it's been worth every penny!

I have only ever seen one other online like it, and I look on a regular basis.

• Members

just googled it and looks like they are quite a rare guitar and comparable to martins of that time, so certainly got a great guitar there:love: If I ever came across one would certainly nab it. I have 4 Yammies, 2 Steel string and 2 classicals. Latest I got was a CG171S classical and it has a lovely sweet sound.

• Members

I love this guitar. I've only ever seen one other online, and I have an e-mail in to the guy asking his price - not that I'd buy it, since I already have one, but because I'm curious. They were only made in this pattern for a couple of years, and then they shifted to the leaf from the dove.

• Members

I had the exact same guitar.. bought it around 1987 brand new from Ward Music in Vancouver.. for around $300 too.

I have pictures somewhere and will post if I can find them.

Yes it's a solid spruce top. Nato neck.

Made in Korea as if that means anything those guitars were a work of art.

VERY playable instrument

Fully bound with beautiful bird inlays...the 12th fret the wings seem to be opening and the inlays change color with the light..!

I sold mine last year on CL for $500 sight unseen in a half an hour..

I wish I hadn't.... but at the time I only had room for one acoustic and opted to keep my 1970's Norman B30 instead (mainly because of its superior volume). That fg480s is one sweet guitar though

• Members
@Roscoe99 - Augh. That's gotta hurt. :-( I love the 480s. Right now, I have it strung with brighter-sounding strings than I usually use, and I'm trying to decide if I like it, or if I want to go back to the D'Addario's that I usually use...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Members

I have the same guitar and have always loved it. Was thinking about listing it on CL soon. It was my main guitar for years. For the past 7 years, I've also been playing a Taylor 814CE LTD with Cocobolo and it's pretty much eliminated my desire to play the Yamaha. I'm also getting ready to pick up a sweet Custom GA Taylor.

• Members

I have the same guitar and have always loved it. Was thinking about listing it on CL soon. It was my main guitar for years. For the past 7 years, I've also been playing a Taylor 814CE LTD with Cocobolo and it's pretty much eliminated my desire to play the Yamaha. I'm also getting ready to pick up a sweet Custom GA Taylor.

Don't do it! You will regret it. The Yamaha can be your guitar for playing unfriendly guitar environments like campfires.

• Members

I have a fg435 with the dove. Let me know your price via PM. Some of Yamaha's best guitars are these dove ones.

• 2 years later...

Archived