Best Place To Sell A Used Guitar?

Chordchunker

• Members

I have sold a lot of things on bay and cl. In my opinion, the added money you get with selling on eBay is mostly offset by fees, postage, driving to the post office, time wasted. Plus there is more risk, I think when it's not an in person/cash deal. I have been ripped off on eBay through a complex scam with the buyer saying he never received the item bs. eBay usually sides with the buyer in disputes. Read the eBay forums. There are many many ways to get ripped off on eBay. Not worth the extra 20 or 30 bucks, ESP with something fragile and expensive like a guitar.

I won't sell anything worth more than a hundred bucks on ebay.

i sell quite a bit on eBay - mostly computer equipment. I ALWAYS ship UPS Ground - never USPS ... never a debate about delivery. I always use the PayPal shipping too ... just to eliminate headaches plus it's a tiny savings over UPS Direct without some negotiated discount rate.

• Members

I think when it's not an in person/cash deal. I have been ripped off on eBay through a complex scam with the buyer saying he never received the item bs. eBay usually sides with the buyer in disputes. Read the eBay forums. There are many many ways to get ripped off on eBay.

My brother unlike me gets conned he sent an item to a female in Milwaukee USA and she sais she hadnt received the item

he has proof of sending and is on the verge of taking it further also has a 100% record of being a gd seller

As above sais ^^

This woman just keeps saying she hasnt received the item..ive told ma brother to quit ebay

ebay seems to be siding with this female even though my brother sent the item ..

But ive told him to tke this further 1stly before quitting, and not to give in as he is in the right..

Ebay i certainly wouldnt waste my time with again as they are to me one big ---> "CON"

Gumtree UK on the other hand is a fair and also a free option..

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...
  • Members

I've found some amazing deals on ebay including a Gibson GK-55 for under $300 so it's great from a buying perspective. For sales though you will pay around $7 in fees to ebay for a $200 guitar not to mention the paypal fees that get tacked on at the end. Craigslist can get weird for sure and the scams as others mentioned can get very strange (I had someone mail me a check for a sale that had a pizza hut in Texas as the address and they were in California). I just found this new site musicetrade.com that only charges 2% and no other fees. They just started but it's free to list your stuff and it can be an auction that can be relisted for free or a store listing that does not expire.

• Moderators

I've been using Reverb.com for several years. I've never bought or sold a guitar, but I have bought several amps [i try to buy local p-up, but sometimes the added cost is absorb-able if the price is right], monitors, mics and my 16 ch PA mixer.

• Members

Why am always suspicious when a new member with one post to his name dredges up a six year old thread only to point to a new commercial website?

Kind of a weird website too - on the guitars and bass page I get seven Fender necks, three sets of strings and a few guitars, all seemingly located in Australia. Mmmmmm....

• Members

Ebay fees have gotten out of hand. Most common ($200-$900) guitars are not over $1500 so the sliding scale works against most sellers but ifwhat you have to sell is over 1500 then having a huge number of eyeballs on your guitar might be worth it.

In reply to the comment about musicetrade yes, musicetrade.com is new but they do have the lowest fees for sellers I've seen at 2% meaning you will get a good deal if economics works. I was looking for a place to sell some stuff and came across it. They are just starting out.

However I agree on the selection being limited currently. Reverb.com was good enough for Mike Gordon to sell gear on recently and only has a 3.5% fee for sellers so that's a good place to check out too.I put a referral link below that gives a $10 credit to new accounts if needed..

Archived