• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Makarovii

View Post

The 1935 Washburn 5257 1/2 my wife inherited from her grandpa. We're in the process of setting up an apponitment with a luthier to give it a clean bill of health. The last string change on this guitar was in 1978! eek.gif

If that guitar doesn't need any major repair it's quite a find!!! Looks to be in great condition and it's really a looker! I wonder what it would appraise at???

• Members

Even if it does need some major repairs I think a guitar with that much sentimental value should still be restored to playable condition. I'd love to be able to hang on to my stuff long enough to give to my grandchildren one day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Here are some pics of my 2001 Washburn D10S. It's my first REAL guitar. I got it earlier this year at a pawn shop for $180, never used. He bought it wholesale, and he never sold it...still had the plastic and the tags on it. For the price, it sounds great!

f_DSC00017m_7e5bc3d.jpg

f_DSC00018m_5bae5bb.jpg

f_DSC00028m_c9c448f.jpg

f_DSC00029m_34a11f4.jpg

f_DSC00030m_2661512.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by AugTPD

View Post

If that guitar doesn't need any major repair it's quite a find!!! Looks to be in great condition and it's really a looker! I wonder what it would appraise at???

We have a luthier working on it. He found about three inches of a brace in the lower bout loose, no big deal for him to reglue. The saddle has been lowered as far as it can go, slots being filed into it to lower the strings further. We're leaving it original. The nut needs to be raised, he spotted tiny pieces of paper under four strings - I missed this! Perhaps a cheap way to raise the action? He is going to remove the nut and make a shim for it that can be removed in the future, if need be. This way we can keep it all original. My wife's grandpa used heavy strings on the Washburn, which has bowed the neck some over the last 20+ years. So we are going to use light or extra light strings and see if that will relieve the tension and allow the neck to return to normal on its own. I'm looking forward to the homecoming...thumb.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...