Fretkillr Exposed

Hooday

• Members

I appreciate these comments a lot. Pro and semi-pro players are farther along than I'll ever be.

That said, its not really a matter of technical ability, proficiency, or even talent that makes an artist popular or well received, its simply a matter of how well the whole package connects with the intended audience.

A great example is the British opera singer, Paul Potts. This guy absolutely shredded a very tough aria on "Britain's Got Talent" show last year, and has become both an internet and worldwide phenomenon since then. Most people really respond very positively, but there are a few gripers and critics who just can't stand him: all on the basis of so-called technical inferiorities.

Fair enough. If you don't like him, you don't like him. "Finger nails on chalkboard" is really extreme, IMHO, but to each his own. There's plenty of popular icons I don't like at all, (can you say, "Elvis Sinatra?") But I wouldn't dare dis either of them because of so-called lack of talent.

The Rock and Roll HOF is now battling through this very issue, as "the powers that be" are snubbing dozens of extremely popular acts throughout the 70's and 80's; all because they didn't score enough "originality points", and made boat-loads of money off the bourgeois masses, (like you and me.)

If a group or artist connects, give him or her credit. Don't tell people what they ought to like or dislike. If someone has found a way to make that connection, its basically unarguable, no matter what folks think.

Anyway... My two cents.

Well I agree with this so now we have four cents...

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm going with genetically altered test tube government experiment. His only contact to the outside world is YouTube and the government will only post his videos if he records them sans head, because showing his face is a breach of National Security and a will let the terrorist win. So he hides his face to protect us from the "Axis of Evil". Be Glad.

I'm seconding this notion, I've heard stories.

• Members

As a writer, I don't think Fretkllr is as good at interpreting lyrics as I'd like. He gets some of the words wrong.

But do I enjoy his videos? Absolutely, and I'm grateful that he's chosen to share his gift.

• Members

Hi guys. I am a banjo player (renopicker on youtube) but I am a big finger style guitar fan. I recently stumbled across Fretkillr on YouTube. I believe this guy is Pat Donohue. If you are not familiar with Pat Donohue then you should take a listen on Amazon. Same guitar style, tone, and voice. They are way too close sounding to be two different guys. What do you think?

• Members

If he's a professional musician, he might be concerned about the violations of copyright law by posting covers. Of course, everyone else who does is violating them, too, but it's different when a fellow pro does it who has to work in the biz and maintain his professional standing (not to mention his right to keep others from reproducing his work), especially when it could be seen as being done for profit in the sense of him promoting himself. That would explain his desire to remain anonymous for his youtube postings.

That's my take, anyway.

• Members

Well, just thought I'd chime in here. The guy gets points for speed. That is not to say that he has the style of someone like Clapton, from the acoustic and rock world, or Benson, from jazz, or John Denver from the folk scene, or... you get the idea.

It is interesting, though, how the course of this debate has gone.

The guy is a simple country boy playing an acoustic guitar, recorded from a flopped back position in a very casual setting. Give him proper posture and sound-proof studio and he might sound and play better. The voice, while nothing really exciting, is not bad. In fact, he is much better than MOST rock acts I hear today.

I grew up around some of the best country pickers in the business, thanks in large part to mum... she was an old-school country songwriter. I played music with a family of professional entertainers. They sang.... boy did they sing. Talk about harmonies. So, I learned about vocals very early in life.

To me, my guitar, or ukuleles, piano, etc... are for accompaniment. I will, thus, never be a virtuoso. I write songs and I play them.

Critique this guy for not being original, if you must, but think about this, without people wanting to play someone else's music, there would be no need for songwriters.

Another thing, to me, songwriting is mostly about lyrics... like John Denver, it was his lyrics that brought most people to love his music. Most country and folk music is lyrical in nature. In that way, this guy could be clearer and better understood, but, maybe he is too inhibited until he has blown the froth off a few.

If you don't like him, tune him out. If you do like him, enjoy it. No big deal either way.

I will never spent much time watching this guy perform, but, then, I don't spend much time watching anyone perform anyway. I never have bought a lot of music anyway because it was all around me, for one, but I always prefer playing to listening.

Reading this has been fun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Take a look at the fretkillr post on youtube in which he plays "Wabash Cannonball." Look carefully at the 1:36 time point in the clip - it is obvious that he is singing while playing: you can clearly see his chest move in direct response to the "whoop" he sings at that time point. Does this "prove" he is singing on his other clips? No. Is it enough to convince me? Yes. After seeing his other clips, hearing the voice, and seeing the obvious evidence that it is he who is singing while playing Wabash Cannonball, it is quite clear that it is just one guy playing and singing. Why doesn't his chest move so much when he sings in his other clips? Well, he appears to have a bit of weight on him (sorry fretkillr - no insult intended), and, evidently, not all sung words provide as much momentum to move that weight as does the "whoop" at 1:36 in Cannonball.

• Members

The whole point of my comment above was to circumvent anecdotal "feelings-based" commentary on the fretkillr video clips, and instead provide *objective* evidence that the person who posts at youtube under the name fretkillr is in fact singing and playing at the same time. If you read my post, and, as I suggest, look carefully at the 1:36 time point in the youtube video I cite, you will see objective, non-anecdotal evidence supporting my point.

• Members

FretKillr is really good - even if he is recording parts separate. The quality of the recording seems a little too good for a video camera but either way, I'm sure he can really play.

Watching him reminded me of another guy I enjoy who goes by Isto. He tends to be a bit silly for fair warning. He also has is own songs up there as well.

Somewhere over the rainbow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUgJKzEmsYI

I've Got the world on a string - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNdZc9dEVDc

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I stand in awe of someone such as "rhythmdoctor" who can judge someones mucisianship. After visiting the one song on your utube video that honestly I couldn't finish because I couldn't bear it I decided to go to the trouble of registering on this web site just so I could respond to this thread. I don't think you have any authority in your judgement of fretkillr because your playing doesn't touch his by any means. When I see or hear that your playing, singing, vocal tambre comes even close to his, then maybe I'll ponder what you have to say, until then dude.............spend some more serious time woodsheddin and less (no) time critiqueing other players your obviously jealous of and then when you "THINK" your ready to critique, go back to the woodshed some more.

• Members

For you guitar players. Some very wise guidance from the one who this thread is about. Pay close attention to the monkey vs. Don't mind me, I don't play guitar and don't claim to be a great musician, but I love to hear a killer guitar player, and I stand with the majority on this thread............this guys good.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3o3jeHrZbWs&feature=related

• 1 month later...
  • Members

a. He is definately not black (not that it matters-just an observation). Backwoods southerner maybe.

b. The guitar in Carolina is a Zager. I recognized the taller round fretwork and the position of the forward strap button is where Zager is telling people to put it. (This is an observation and not a plug as I had issues with playing on them)

c. I liked the Carolina song but the other did not impress me one bit. Just disjointed "I care more about being fast than with quality".

Archived