Fretkillr Exposed

Hooday

• Members

I always roll my eyes when people start dropping the "original" word when talking about music. Since most if not all music is either directly or indirectly taken from people's influences. There are also the musicians that go out of there way to try to be original and end up just sounding bad. Music is supposed to be enjoyed not pulled apart and inspected. I enjoy fretkillr's covers. If fretkillr is the standard for "just OK" it would be interesting to find out where everyone else lies on this rating system. My guess is somewhere between terrible and horrid.

To each his own I guess. You're right in saying music is to be enjoyed and for me personally, I don't enjoy fretkiller. I knew that posting my opinion would attract some negative reactions. My intent was not discount the fun in music, just for me his music is boring.

Being a songwriter, I take music very seriously and there is something to be said of being creative and original. I can also enjoy fancy playing that might not be original but just good jamming - I just don't hear anything impressive with fretkiller's playing that makes me say wow - AND he does nothing original, hence, the guy does nothing for me personally. It's ok, my opinion is just that (my opinion).

What I don't get about the fretkiller buzz is this: if you wanna hear fancy acoustic guitar playing, why not just listen to say..... Doc Watson who can play circles around fretkiller? Now if fretkiller was a buddy of yours, I could see getting excited about his playing - but he's just a stranger that is above average and offers nothing original or creative.

Here's a guy you should get excited about:

[YOUTUBE]gQ-r8b2-tO8[/YOUTUBE]

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

fretkillr is a black woman with one nut and white people gloves

;););)

I'm telling you, people here seem to have something personal against this guy. I mean, I am also sometimes intimidated when I see others that are just plain excellent, and simply better players and singers than me. But yeah, playing music is not a competition in that, if there's a better (personal opinion) guitarist out there, that your old favorite guitarists should be discarded! If that were the case, then you would only listen to one band, and only the best, no one else! I mean why listen to Jimi, when Stevie could play circles around him?

What really bugs me though: What would the forum members here say or think of my videos, or my friends? I'm definitely not as good as this guy, should I delete my videos, or perhaps just forward my videos to videos of better performers?

I think the great fascination with this guy is not that he is somehow a BETTER player than some of your favorite professionals, but that he is NOT a professional (or at least not famous) and seems to be like ONE OF US and has become very good. I know this is my fascination with youtube artists, they are everyday people like you and me, NOT some famous prodigies or virtuosos; those are fun too. And WATCHING videos of people playing always seems to be more fun than just listening to music for me; I think this is a nice new format for people to find music, we want to WATCH too, not just listen. It's kind of like watching open mic, huh.

• Members

;)
;)
;)

I think the great fascination with this guy is not that he is somehow a BETTER player than some of your favorite professionals, but that he is NOT a professional (or at least not famous) and seems to be like ONE OF US and has become very good. I know this is my fascination with youtube artists, they are everyday people like you and me, NOT some famous prodigies or virtuosos; those are fun too. And WATCHING videos of people playing always seems to be more fun than just listening to music for me; I think this is a nice new format for people to find music, we want to WATCH too, not just listen. It's kind of like watching open mic, huh.

Bingo +1

• Members

;)
;)
;)

I'm telling you, people here seem to have something personal against this guy. I mean, I am also sometimes intimidated when I see others that are just plain excellent, and simply better players and singers than me. But yeah, playing music is not a competition in that, if there's a better (personal opinion) guitarist out there, that your old favorite guitarists should be discarded! If that were the case, then you would only listen to one band, and only the best, no one else! I mean why listen to Jimi, when Stevie could play circles around him?

What really bugs me though: What would the forum members here say or think of my videos, or my friends? I'm definitely not as good as this guy, should I delete my videos, or perhaps just forward my videos to videos of better performers?

I don't know about all that, when I see videos of people playing better then me (which to be honest is 90%) I don't get intimidated I get inspired. Some people just aren't into it and thats fine. I always like covers, and I think he does a great job with them. His cover of King of the Road I like particularly because it has a different feel then the original. But to each their own.

• Members

Personally, I really, really like the guy. I started this topic regarding his identity because it seems to be something of pursuit by some, and its a bit of a goof, anyway.

I retract my original supposition. The singing and playing is obviously coming from one guy. (The voice and hands thing is still a bit odd, though. )

Bottom line, it doesn't really matter who he is. The fact that he is who he is and can do what he does is all that matters.

I too am really amazed that there are some who would actually slam this guy. It kind of reminds me of the reaction some artists get, (who are not the most talented,) from those considering themselves critical experts. Remember how Kenny Rogers routinely got slammed for having sub-par vocals, 2-bit stage presence, etc? Well, bottom line, he was very entertaining, and a lot of people enjoyed hearing and seeing him a lot.

I guess you don't have to have supreme talent in order for you to be entertaining, and for a lot of people to like your playing.

• Members

Well, you spelled your name wrong, you know. You spell it Fretkillr, on YouTube.

He signs off as "fretkiller" on his youtube page if you look.

He does a great version of "deep river blues", that's a tricky song to do well.

But he's about as good as the average guy on the summer resort circuit I play on, any one of them could play what he does just as wel.

I agree he's great to watch and has an awesome voice, but all the "no one person could be that good" stuff bugs me, cos lots of players out there really are.

• Members

Playing this "who is better than who" game is {censored}ing stupid. Let's just let it be.

Ok sir, so having an opinion that is different than the majority of posters in this thread is '{censored}ing stupid'?!?! I made one point that happened to tie in a famous player, it had nothing to really do with who is better than who and everything to do with the fact that, in my opinion, fk is not an interesting musician.

Bottom line, I don't think the guy is good enough to listen to or get excited about, I expressed that opinion and inquired why people like him - apparently some of you on here equate that to being intimidated or jealous or having something against the guy. Nothing could be further from the truth, I just don't enjoy listening to him. There's really nothing more or less than that other than my curiosity of why people enjoy his playing. When someone addressed my initial post, I decided to respond - this is the primary function of a message board - to discuss things.

If you don't agree with my point of view, that's ok too, but no need to accuse me or my posts of being '{censored}ing stupid'. I'm just one man with an opinion and a curiosity - my opinion just happens to be right;)

• Members

Ok sir, so having an opinion that is different than the majority of posters in this thread is '{censored}ing stupid'?!?! I made one point that happened to tie in a famous player, it had nothing to really do with who is better than who and everything to do with the fact that,
in my opinion
, fk is not an interesting musician.

Bottom line, I don't think the guy is good enough to listen to or get excited about, I expressed that opinion and inquired why people like him - apparently some of you on here equate that to being intimidated or jealous or having something against the guy. Nothing could be further from the truth, I just don't enjoy listening to him. There's really nothing more or less than that other than my curiosity of why people enjoy his playing. When someone addressed my initial post, I decided to respond - this is the primary function of a message board - to discuss things.

If you don't agree with my point of view, that's ok too, but no need to accuse me or my posts of being '{censored}ing stupid'. I'm just one man with an opinion and a curiosity - my opinion just happens to be right;)

Neither you nor your opinion are stupid. The notion that he is an inferior musician is. He's a good player, a good singer, and a fun guy to watch. You have said you don't like him; but how do you not understand why we do? He is entertaining. I apologize if I came off like a douche, but music is not a contest and I think we all take it pretty seriously here.

• Members

Good point. Playing to have fun is what it's all about. Fretkillr's style, and perhaps the genre as well, is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in that regard. So, when a critique - solicited or not - gets aired there's going to be a corresponding like/dislike follow-on with at least 2 sides to the ensuing debate. I'm on the dislike side with this particular critique. There are countless times I've enjoyed the music presented but this time isn't one of them.

You're a tough crowd, C-man. I find the guy's playing pretty impressive - and enjoyable. I wouldn't run out and buy the album, but I admire the dude's git skills. Made me think of how much I suck...

• Members

Neither you nor your opinion are stupid. The notion that he is an inferior musician is. He's a good player, a good singer, and a fun guy to watch. You have said you don't like him; but how do you not understand why we do? He is entertaining. I apologize if I came off like a douche, but music is not a contest and I think we all take it pretty seriously here.

It's all good dude :thu: I think all of us come off a bit douchey from time to time - communicating over a message board isn't always ideal and can sometimes be misleading. Nonetheless, no hard feelings from me. At least we can agree that we both love music and that's a great thing! Enjoy your weekend.

• Members

It's quite good quality recording. He sings into a mic, and guitar is probably plugged in. Then he prosess the two tracks. EQ, compressor, duplicate tracks with tuned offset, revs etc..

In other words: VERY SIMPLE BASIC recording.

And the problem is?

• Members

It's all good dude
:thu:
I think all of us come off a bit douchey from time to time - communicating over a message board isn't always ideal and can sometimes be misleading. Nonetheless, no hard feelings from me. At least we can agree that we both love music and that's a great thing! Enjoy your weekend.

:thu:

• Members

Most of the players on this board are pretty new at guitar and very open with it. Anyone who can rock out a fretboard and get some fingerpicking in the mix will be an inspiration to them. That's a natural, especially now with all the vids showing the complexities of movements. It can be an awe inspiring thing that affects a person's ego, desires and inspirations, and can also make a person feel somewhat less than they want and hope to be as a player.

Then there are quite a few here who have developed themselves through the usual hard work of practicing over the years. They don't need to view the vids of other players. They can hear the playing and know what the player is doing. They can also pick up on the tunings and keys by ear. They don't need a tab or a score. If they like what they hear they can quickly copy the guy. It becomes no big deal to do this routinely.

It's not a matter of best or worst. It's a matter of experience, ear development and ultimately settling into the guitar as an extension of the persona. Egos give way to the simple, and most times modest, satisfaction of being able to create expressions through music after finally getting past the basic mechanics of learning the guitar itself. It is these folks who might make a comment about such a player as fretkillr that, though true in their technical content, seems harsh to others. Let's not forget about subjectivity, either. Again, I don't like the style/genre and technical ability displayed by freetkillr. It's noise to me as much as what I do might be to others but that's just the way of it. No need to feel compelled to throw daggers.

I appreciate these comments a lot. Pro and semi-pro players are farther along than I'll ever be.

That said, its not really a matter of technical ability, proficiency, or even talent that makes an artist popular or well received, its simply a matter of how well the whole package connects with the intended audience.

A great example is the British opera singer, Paul Potts. This guy absolutely shredded a very tough aria on "Britain's Got Talent" show last year, and has become both an internet and worldwide phenomenon since then. Most people really respond very positively, but there are a few gripers and critics who just can't stand him: all on the basis of so-called technical inferiorities.

Fair enough. If you don't like him, you don't like him. "Finger nails on chalkboard" is really extreme, IMHO, but to each his own. There's plenty of popular icons I don't like at all, (can you say, "Elvis Sinatra?") But I wouldn't dare dis either of them because of so-called lack of talent.

The Rock and Roll HOF is now battling through this very issue, as "the powers that be" are snubbing dozens of extremely popular acts throughout the 70's and 80's; all because they didn't score enough "originality points", and made boat-loads of money off the bourgeois masses, (like you and me.)

If a group or artist connects, give him or her credit. Don't tell people what they ought to like or dislike. If someone has found a way to make that connection, its basically unarguable, no matter what folks think.

Anyway... My two cents.

Archived