Yamaha guitars overrated?

billybilly

• Members
Anyone that thinks Yamaha are overrated needs to try an LL36 or LL26. :)

Actually, at that price point, I do feel they are overrated. I played one last week (the LL36) and for what you'd have to pay for that guitar ($3000-$4000), would entertain a plethora of other guitars at far less of a price point. The Martin Sustainable Wood series was WAY better IMO and was $1500ish.

Bang for buck, nothing beats the Yamaha 700 series but after that, count me out.

• Members
I played a LJ16 at Shake It Up the other day - all solid jumbo ' date=' beautiful thing, sounded magnificent, as good as anything I've had my hands on and better than most.Way cheaper than any comparable Martin, Taylor etc.[/quote']

I guess it depends on what you like... Personally, I found them thin sounding. I wanted to like as the neck was very comfortable and it was well built, then I strummed the Martin beside it, game over.

At the price point of the LJ16, I'd take an Eastman or a Blueridge.

• Members
^ Great. Now we have mods necro-posting. This thread is a year and a half old.

Hey Mr. DeepEnd, it turned out ok, didn't it? Quit your goddddddammmm bitchin'. It's a valid thread and there's no need for snarkiness from you old-timers driving folks away.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
  • Members

Two yrs ago I went in to buy a new acoustic. No brand in mind, just whatever played and sounded best to me. I tried a number of major brands.  I’ve had Yamaha electrics but not acoustics. Of the guitars I played that day the Yamaha LL 16 sounded the best. Money was not an issue. The LL was to me superior the nearest competitor ( Taylor) and cost much less. Truly surprised. 2 yrs later I love it still. I’ve many guitars, my LL and my ovations are my favorites. 

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I respectfully disagree with the sentiment that Yamaha guitars are overrated. In my experience, Yamaha has consistently proven itself as a brand that offers high-quality instruments with a reputation for reliability and craftsmanship. I own a range of Yamaha guitars, and I can confidently say that each one has exceeded my expectations.