Any love for the Martin 000x1?

Crxsh

• Members

If it speaks deeply to you, grab it. To hell with other folks' ears.

Yep..I agree...as long as you don't buy it for the Martin name you'll be fine...(and let's face it, if ever you change your mind or 'grow out' of it...well that gives you a chance to buy something else..lol )

• Members

If it speaks deeply to you, grab it. To hell with other folks' ears.

Probably some sound advice.... but I'm really an Acoustic n00b and am just looking for some opinions. Primarily an electric player, the best I've owned is a $120 Applause, so I don't exactly know what I should be looking for.

I know Martin is a good name, but this seems pretty far down their line. Worth it, or no?

• Members

Probably some sound advice.... but I'm really an Acoustic n00b and am just looking for some opinions. Primarily an electric player, the best I've owned is a $120 Applause, so I don't exactly know what I should be looking for.

I know Martin is a good name, but this seems pretty far down their line. Worth it, or no?

Honestly I don't know Crxsh, but 400$ is 400$ and you may as well spend it on something you like! I've tried some really expensive guitars that I frankly didn't like (in terms of 'feel' when playing and/or sound). I'd say go and play some acoustic guitars (well...quite a lot if you can..), and suddenly you'll start to like some MUCH better than others.

I'm in France, so I don't know what it's like where you are, but you can pick up a pretty good used guitar for equivalent money over here....

I've got no idea what you'd look for when buying an electric guitar...can you give me an idea..?

• Members

Actually the 000X1 is highly regarded on the umg forum. I had the 0001 before the Formica guitars were introduced, worth hunting one down. But yeah go for it. Pretty basic looking but sound good. Saw some good YouTube clips you may wanna check them out.

• Members

If you like the sound of it then that's really all that matters. All Martins are well built guitars. Just don't be under any illusions that it has anything in common with a standard series Martin other than the decal on the headstock. The body is all plastic. The top is solid spruce.

• Members

i have mixed feelings on the x series martins because they're made with HPL, which is basically fiberboard. they seem to produce a lot of bass, which is good, but several luthiers have told me that they can't be repaired, and i've seen a lot of reports of them cracking in less than perfect conditions.

• Members

Here's the rub... some will argue that the back and sides don't have much impact on sound, it's all in the top and the bracing. Some will advocate buying high priced guitars made from carbon fiber. Some will say the HPL is garbage.

Here's my take, I think the HPL is very durable and manages to produce nice tone. I've never seen structural issues with it either. It's always somebody that knew a guy that knew some other guy off the internet that heard something about some problem. The truth is that I'd LOVE to have a 000X1. They play really nice and sound even better. That's all that matters to me, not opinions of some cork sniffers.

• Members

I own a D-28 2005, D-28 1973, D-35, HD-35, 000-15, 000-18, D-17 and just bought a 000x1 and gotta tell you I LOVE IT! Great sound, mine came from Musicians Friend and it was set up perfectly, very low action, really easy to play with a beautiful sound.

I use it to play at the office. If it plays well and sound good to you BUT IT! Great deal especially if it comes with HSC. If its an older one it will even be made in the USA. Mine made in Mexico.

Laminate is cheaper but that is why the guitar is cheaper! There's a reason for the laminate, so Martin can make a nice guitar at an affordable price. Guitar will also be less prone to weather issues as well.

Again, I really dig this guitar.

• Members

If you have $400-500 and are looking for a "first acoustic", you could do much worse than that Martin. However, there are better. I'd look around for a Yamaha FG730, and/or a Breedlove Passport-series guitar, and A/B em. You're going for a sound that is pleasing to your ear, and a good fit and feel. Aesthetics and electronics are secondary if that; if you don't like acoustic then it'll stay in your closet till you can CL it, while if it grows on you you'll eventually trade up and this will be your beater. Either way, you'd be wasting money on a showy git right now.

You've spent some time on an acoustic, so it probably doesn't bear saying, but what the hell: acoustics, by virtue of the way they work, need a thicker string and more tension to work properly. That means that if you're used to electric, an acoustic's going to feel harder to play. That goes double if you like Fenders, with their smaller fretboard radiuses; an acoustic's neck will almost always be flatter and that can make chording, especially Barres, more difficult.

• Members

Hey liko apart from the 'showy git' which is really funny if you come from England, could you explain what the abbreviations stand for..?

Thanks

To "A/B" two things is to compare them side by side. In terms of audio, by switching quickly between them so the sound differences are more pronounced.

CL = Craigslist.