What are your music plans for 2012?

richardmac

• Members

So....

For longtime Music Biz forumites - we're about to end 2011. How have your attitudes about the Music Biz changed? Where is your thinking as of right now? What are your Music Biz plans?

I'll go first. I haven't been in here much because I feel like I've said everything I wanted to say and gotten out of the forum everything I could. I don't want to be a broken record and I definitely was.

Anyway, I've spent roughly the last year doing lots of gigs as a solo performer, doing covers 85% of the time. The money is good, and my family needs the money, but it's getting a little old. When I have free time now, I'm almost always writing code instead of writing songs. My friend Chris and I have a small part time software company. We're writing apps for the iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone. Right now actually I'm working on three apps at the same time - a shape matching game for toddlers, a music app that guitarists can jam to, and a side scrolling shooting game that my kids are creating - Racoons vs Badgers. You see, a secret government program figured out how to increase the intelligence of animals, but one of the scientists went bad and took the secret formula with him to create a Badger Army and take over the world... luckily the other remaining scientist was able to recreate the formula, and apply it to a group of racoons... and now they are the only thing standing between the Badgers and the enslavement of the human race...

My kids are 11 and 13... that's about their speed. It's their game. :)

But we're having fun writing it. I'm just doing it as a learning experience to learn how to make a game for the iPad...

Aaaand you can now see where the majority of my time has gone. Writing software has replaced writing songs in my life. For now. I usually bounce back and forth between music and technology. Having two hobbies that are fun and can make me money is pretty cool. Screw trying to be a rock star. Chris and I want to get at least 10 apps in the apps store. We have one in their now (called "HAT." It's a random name chooser for elementary teachers.) We might only sell 5 or 6 copies a day, but get enough apps in there and it adds up, and if one of them hits and becomes successful, we could make serious cash.

Music-wise, I'm done playing the game. It's pointless, stupid, depressing, and soul crushing. You know how a little kid will get a board game and they won't want to really learn how to play it, so they take all the pieces out and they make up their own game? That's me. I want to write and record a prog rock album (seriously?) and put it on iTunes. AND give it away for free. Why? Because I've been wanting to write a prog rock album for the past 3 years. I've always wondered what it would sound like if I wrote prog rock.

Racoons vs Badgers will make more money than my prog rock album. :) Who gives a {censored}. I want to have fun. I'm a big overgrown 10 year old underneath the logic and cynicism. I still want to build spaceships out of Lego. But now the Lego is code. All I know is that right now I'm really happy and I'm having fun.

So for me, in 2012 I'll probably do some more cover gigs, aiming more at low key places that want classy background music to avoid the drunks, and writing music for my self indulgent prog rock album. For Christmas this year I am getting a nylon string classical guitar. Not a real expensive one - a relatively cheap one made by Yamaha. No pickup in it. I just want it for recording. I've always wanted one. I don't know why it's taken me so long to get one. It's sitting under the tree right now. Holly says I have to wait until Christmas to play it. So tomorrow I'll be getting it out. I need to buy another guitar stand for it...

I should name my album "2012." It IS a prog rock album I'm writing, after all. :)

That's my lengthy diatribe about where I'm headed in 2012. Anyone else want to share?

• Members

First post on this forum, but it seemed appropriate since I'm looking w/ anticipation at 2012.

Ahem, firstly: get my hands on some good recording software in order to move my ideas beyond an old-school tape deck, and be able to show in an instant what I want to do musically!

I've basically been sitting on my butt, practicing, but basically waiting for someone else to write up music so I can join their band. Well that hasn't worked, particularly since either the band 'opportunities' I've seen have no music to speak of, or the other guy starts making assumptions when I explain what kind of music I like.

If I mention I like Megadeth, they automatically assume I want to play Slayer (?!) type music. Then when I say "Yeah but I also like Alice in Chains", then they're thinking we're just gonna play grunge. And when I go I "yeah, but I really love Florence & the Machine's songs" then they give this wacky double take, lol. Better to just throw out names of bands I like & a song idea about what I want to do than yet one more year of playing musical scherades.

Secondly, build a band I like!

My last good band was back in 2009. We played all over, locally, and were on the verge of getting known locally when the drummer quit, & then the guitarist (the band's songwriter) opted to kill the band. Since then I've basically been answering ads & getting nowhere b/c this or that band is good (or at least "ok") except for ____ (i.e. sucky songs; no plans on how to get anywhere; lack of communication; or we're just on 2 different planets). Since I know a few drummers, why wait for an opportunity elsewhere when I might have someone 'in house', y'know? The rest will follow, esp. if I'm going into this w/ songs (or at least song ideas) instead of nothing.

Third, make it happen while trying to balance out work & upcoming grad school.

Hell, I'm no longer 22, & I can't put off 'real life' on the assumption that I'm gonna make it, musically. Hell, we live in a world where Justin Bieber exists and is making crazy money. Better to aim to be the king of your own hill than attempt to take on that little bastard & his game. Besides, not to claim I'm some great songwriter, but if someone out there likes what I come up with & I get to play somewhere, I'll be damn happy!.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Cool Thread.

When the downturn came, it seemed that, for me, the choice became, play Sweet Home Alabama every night you possibly can and almost make a living, or play whatever I want to and Actually Make A Living (at my "day job") That caused me to mostly curtail gigging and dig into my music collection for things to learn/relearn and be inspired by.

At the end of the day, we're social creatures and need to share our stuff. I'm ready to get back out there.

• Members

That was a soulful post man. Got me thinking bout life and {censored}. Who cares what my plans are. Hope yours pan out. But you'll clearly be fine if they don't .. go as planned. It's generally more interesting when they don't anyway. And they never do....

• Members

I'm not at liberty to discuss what's happening with Gwen

we canceled all our dates last fall and I'm not sure if she'll be available for the booked fairs this summer so the entire year is in limbo till March or April.

We'll probably cut a single this month and sit on it until the summer or fall.

I'll probably start a thread about it in February~ I can't imagine some peeps not having questions once everything starts...

I thought about doing a cruise ship thing for a while (while I wait) but it would render me unable to leave at a moment's notice.

I might get a dayjob for a while and just play weekends with locals (went to Gibson today).

I've also got to sue someone but don't have money for the attorney.

I thought about working up an acoustic act but don't have money for the PA

I'm pretty tired of not having money.......like 25 years of not having money.

I found a chick I wanted to write with that's really fresh whose producer digs my stuff.

although I don't have time to write or record cause I'm constantly learning new tunes (I'm playing with 3 other acts while I'm waiting on Gwen).

The things that are within my control I do not have the resources to execute.

Maybe I'll just do those stupid Youtube things all year....

I've been playing country for 7 years and there has never been a video camera rolling while I was playing ACTUAL country guitar. There's a goal. Imagine that.

I've been playing R&B for 20 years~ same thing. The stuff that was captured is not booty dance music so it doesn't even count.

• Members

I'm not at liberty to discuss what's happening with Gwen

we canceled all our dates last fall and I'm not sure if she'll be available for the booked fairs this summer so the entire year is in limbo till March or April.

Uh oh. I smell a Nashville handjob. :lol::lol:

Seriously tho', good luck mang. Next time I'm in the 'ville, I'll pm ya and we'll grab a beer.

• Members

O>k> here we go.....

Music stuff

1) get better at reading

2) get better at improvising over difficult changes (giant steps etc)

3) figure out what to do with a project held in limbo

4) do a good grass roots marketing campaign for my teaching business

5) be a better band leader

6) be a better sideman

7) be a better gig marketer

8) work on my singing and my ear

9) start writing another project

10) sell a few articles

11) sell some of this buyout music I've got sitting here.

12) find a new studio space and a partner

Other stuff

1) Cut the {censored}ing carbs....cut the {censored}ing carbs.....cut the mother{censored}ing carbs.....

2) spend more time with my youngest, he'll be graduating in 2013

3) spend more time with my wife. She might like some of what I'm cookin'

4) do more hiking and biking

• Members

My music goals for 2012:

1. Step up the quantity and quality of the practices for my acoustic duo and hit our first gig this year.

2. To work with the new southern rock gospel band I've joined as a bassist.

3. Never let a single day go by without at least practicing scales.

4. Practice some more.

5. Keep Practicing.

• Members

My music related goals for 2012;

1) Change jobs (Essentially jump from publishing to label)

2) Finish my home studio

3) Record my album

4) Get the sound library up and running with a few friends and contacts, and get some things licensed off.

The fourth step is probably the most important step toward any future of me not having a boss anymore, and the third step is most important to me personally. :)

• Members

I'm playing with an artist that was on The Voice last season.

We're doing the Superbowl while he's in L.A. for a press junket for this year's show,

plus opening for Steel Panther at House of Blues (lol)

and a 2-3 week tour.

Would anyone be interested if I started another road journal on this?

• Members

I can relate to not wanting to be a rock star anymore. Played in bands for 10 years and got burnt out. Then I moved to Hawaii a year ago and hardly ever play. I'm always surfing or outdoors. By the time it's dark, I'm exhausted. I still want to write, but then I think...for what? I have no desire to build a band again, or play bars, or play covers to tourists. The time and energy to promote a band is just not worth it...there is no reward in it. People don't go see live music anymore, they go get drunk or laid.

So, musically, for 2012 I would love to start writing again. But in the end I'll probably just keep surfing.

Archived