What strings for a Seagull S6??

pawsable

• Members

Hi all,

I've been lurking around awhile since a co-worker of my DH told me about the sight. I'm learning alot and also getting lots of gas.

I have a Newbie question.

I think I need new strings. I've been playing my Seagull for about 5 months and it just doesn't sound a good as it used to. Plus I have to tweak the tuning more often.

I don't know what strings are on it (probably whatever it came with from the factory). I have read many of the string threads and listened to the comparisons available.

I would like something similar to what the seagull came with but there are too many varibles out there for me to make a choice without some advice, please.

pawsable

• Members

A string change is indeed in order for you. Five months is a very long time to go between string changes. You're going to flip over the improvement in your git's tone once you get some new ones on.

For mid-priced strings, I tend to recommend D'Addario Phosphor Bronze, light gauge. Nice, warm-sounding strings, good sustain on the basses and clear trebles.

Martin phos bronze lights are a tad more expensive and also produce nice tones, but for me, they didn't last quite as long as the D'Addario ones.

I've used the D'Addario 12-string set and get quite a bit of playing hours out of them. I play my 12-er every single day and change strings about every 3-4 weeks.

If frequent string changes aren't your thing, check out Elixir Nanos. They have quite a following here. I personally don't care for coated strings, but to each his/her own.

• Members

My Simon & Patrick (same Godin family) came with Godin A6 LT (P/B light) strings from the factory. Your Seagull most likely had the same.

The Godins look and spec the same as D'Addario EJ16 (P/B light) gauge: 53-42-32-24-16-12. I think Godin just re-labels them.

I like the EJ16's or EJ26 Custom Lights - 52-42-32-22-15-11.

• Members

Thank you both for your response.

My Simon & Patrick (same Godin family) came with Godin A6 LT (P/B light) strings from the factory. Your Seagull most likely had the same.

The Godins look and spec the same as D'Addario EJ16 (P/B light) gauge: 53-42-32-24-16-12. I think Godin just re-labels them.

I did purchase a set of Martin MSP Extra Light on recommendation from a sales person at my local store but was not too sure this was where I should be going when I do my first restring. This is my first guitar, I purchased it back when I started lessons 5 months ago. I'm thinking I should exchange these for lights and maybe get both the Martin and D'Addario, put one on now and try the other next time.

pawsable

• Members

Good for you! Changing your own strings is a great place to start learning how to work on your own git. I don't use one myself, but those little winder thingies are probably pretty handy.

I don't think using your new extra-lights will be an issue. They're probably gauged around 10-47 and those gauges sound pretty decent on my gits. The worst thing that could possibly happen is you might get a little fret buzz if your git has minimal neck relief. (For more info on neck relief, head for the Annex and read stuff in the Tech section)

The XLs won't be as loud as heavier strings, mind you, but are usually sweet sounding nonetheless. After those wear out, try a different gauge and see which one you like better. Experimenting with different strings isn't a wallet-buster unless you're changing ultra-frequently.

Once you find a particular string set that you really like and are going to stick with, have the git set up for optimal playability with those strings.

Have fun!

• Members

Hello Pawsable...

I would not recommend using the extra lights. Your fingers are broke in now so I would stick with lights as I suspect that's the gauge on your Seagull now. You will get a bigger sound with the lights over extra lights.

As you know, based on your positive Seagull experience, I bought a budget Seagull Mini-Jumbo for beach trips and what not...see you this spring in Long Beach.

I have put two types on this guitar and have been happy:

Elixer PB Nanowebs

DR Sunbeams

Running the Sunbeams now and they sound full, with good bass and high end. I picked these based on the string test found in the HGAC annex. The Nano's are nice and expensive ($13-15)

I would also recommend the D'Addario PB lights (ej16's). I run these on both Larrivee's and have just purchased another 6-pack of them from Stringsandbeyond. Let me know and I would be more than happy to bring a pack of the D'Addario's to work on Monday for you to try...I have 10+ packs around. Be my pleasure.

Which leads me to my next questions...how's the Larrivee shopping going!!!

• Members

Hello Pawsable...

I would not recommend using the extra lights. Your fingers are broke in now so I would stick with lights as I suspect that's the gauge on your Seagull now. You will get a bigger sound with the lights over extra lights.

As you know, based on your positive Seagull experience, I bought a budget Seagull Mini-Jumbo for beach trips and what not...see you this spring in Long Beach.

I have put two types on this guitar and have been happy:

Elixer PB Nanowebs

DR Sunbeams

Running the Sunbeams now and they sound full, with good bass and high end. I picked these based on the string test found in the HGAC annex. The Nano's are nice and expensive ($13-15)

I would also recommend the D'Addario PB lights (ej16's). I run these on both Larrivee's and have just purchased another 6-pack of them from Stringsandbeyond. Let me know and I would be more than happy to bring a pack of the D'Addario's to work on Monday for you to try...I have 10+ packs around. Be my pleasure.

Which leads me to my next questions...how's the Larrivee shopping going!!!

Thanks for the string offer outdoorgb. I'm just going to exchange the xlights I bought for lights. I'll probably get a set of Martins and a set of D'Addario. One set for now and the other for later.

As for the Larrivee shopping......I just held my breath until the urge passed (for now). :lol:

I'll look again later. Maybe a birthday present to myself this summer. See you in Longbeach.

pawsable

• Members

I tried D'Addario EJ15 Extra Lights - didn't like them because I lost a lot of volume.

Martin MSP4100 SP Lights seemed to lose a little bass, so my preference went back to D'Addario EJ16's.

I think you are on the right track trying a few different makes. You will find your own favorite.

Besides, there is always a little excitement/anticipation when I try out new strings - (and then the disappointment when I realize my playing still stinks!!) But it makes me practice more so I can wear out the strings sooner and I can try out new ones again....

• Members

I tried D'Addario EJ15 Extra Lights - didn't like them because I lost a lot of volume.

Martin MSP4100 SP Lights seemed to lose a little bass, so my preference went back to D'Addario EJ16's.

I think you are on the right track trying a few different makes. You will find your own favorite.

Besides, there is always a little excitement/anticipation when I try out new strings - (and then the disappointment when I realize my playing still stinks!!) But it makes me practice more so I can wear out the strings sooner and I can try out new ones again....

That's been my experience, too - I favor the bassiness of the D'Addario over the Martins. Also got a wee bit more mileage out of the D'Addario.

Have recently moved back to lights on my 12-er from extra-lights, and went from D'Addario to D'Angelico phos bronze. I've had good experience with the D'Angelico Silk&Steels and hope to get good mileage from their phos bronze as well.

My playing stinks, too, but I'm sure having a good time trying to improve it. :D

• Members

Well, it's done. :)

I went with the martin MSP4100 for this first string change. After they're broken in I'll record something so I'll have a base line for comparison when I change again. I'll most likely try several brands and then choose a favorite as recommended.

Thank you all for your input. it was very helpful.:thu:

pawsable

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Wow, I love this forum. I just got a Seagull S6 Original and wanted to replace the strings. I've got some EXP16s lying around and I noticed that they have the same gauge.

I did a little search here and got some info that the Godin A6 LTs might just be repackaged EXP16s. Thanks HC (and HarleyCharley)! :)

• Members

The original Godin strings that came with my Entourage MJ were dead within a week. I next put on a set of Blue Steels (Dean Markley?) and they were dead in 5 days. I had an extra set of Elixirs Lite-Meds sitting around, and put that set on. From now on, I'll use the Elixirs. They really make my MJ shine.

Cheers,

Glenn

• Members

Well, it's done.
:)

I went with the martin MSP4100 for this first string change. After they're broken in I'll record something so I'll have a base line for comparison when I change again. I'll most likely try several brands and then choose a favorite as recommended.

Thank you all for your input. it was very helpful.
:thu:

pawsable

Let us know how it turns out. :thu:

I've gone back and forth with Martin Eric Clapton sig. strings and Dean Markley Formula 82/R strings on my 'Gull.

• Members

Thanks for the info everyone.

I've got EXP16s on my Epiphone AJ-18S and I figured it would be easier just to "standardize" on those strings for my steel strings (with EXP46s and EXP45s on my classicals). It is an added bonus that they have the same string gauge as the original Godins.

• Members

I don't use coated string much, but I think an S-6 would like 'em. Other strings I use or used to good effect are John Pearse Phosper Bronze, GHS Phosphor Bronze, and GHS White Bronze.

As for gauge, stay as close to manufacturer's specs as you can. Probably standard lights. You may want to try mediums sometime down the road, but for now stick with the lights. Talk it over with your teacher. You should get a lot of insight from greater experience.

• Members

I was surprised to see this thread pop-up at just this time. a little like dejavu.

It's been about 6 months since I put the Martin MSP4100s on my Seagull and I was just noticing that the 2 lowest strings aren't sounding so good (a little dull) so I'm going to change them out this weekend. The OEM strings lasted about 6 months also. I wash my hands before playing and wipe the strings down afterwards most of the time (abt 99%).

The Seagull is my main practice guitar at home and is the one I take to class 90% of the time. It get the most playing time but I rotate the Tacoma and Breedlove in on the weekends. The Yammie is my practice guitar at work.

I'll be using D'Addario PB lights this time around. I have those on the Tacoma and also on the Yammie and they seem to holding up. The Tacoma gets played 2-3 hours a week, the same for the Yammie.

• Members

A hint for adding longivity or getting some extra miles out of Martin Phospher Bronze or any uncoated string. I read where putting a light amount of Dr. Duck's Axe Wax on a small piece of cotton cloth and folding it over each string and travel the length of the string. I didn't think it would help but thought "what the heck" I have a new set of strings waiting anyway. I was shocked. Beautiful tone again. I do not know how long that will last as I just did that over the weekend but I can try it again if needed.

I bought the Dr. Ducks Axewax mainly to use on my fingerboard. Guitar Center sells it among others. It is a liquid and not really a wax per se

• 3 months later...
  • Members

+1 on the phosphour bronze light D'Addarios. I put them on cos they were all I could get a hold of at one point and they sounded great. Replaced them with Dean Markley alchemy goldBronze which makes my Washburn elec/acoustic sing and was very disappointed. It's the cheapy D'Addarios all the way from now on for the gull.:thu:

• 4 years later...

Archived