A visit to a Vietnamese Guitar factory

Etienne Rambert

• Members

I discovered this website to verify what both sides of the argument are saying. I think you both have good points. But I was surprised to see, on this website, that Japan, China, Vietnam, and many other places, where they manufacture quality guitars, are all in the same humidity range. Give it a quick look, it's very interesting.

http://www.findlocalweather.com/weather_maps/humidity_south_asia.html

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I discovered this website to verify what both sides of the argument are saying. I think you both have good points. But I was surprised to see, on this website, that Japan, China, Vietnam, and many other places, where they manufacture quality guitars, are all in the same humidity range. Give it a quick look, it's very interesting.

http://www.findlocalweather.com/weather_maps/humidity_south_asia.html

Yeah, that website will show the U.S., too. This time of year, I don't humidify. 60% is plenty. :D

• Members

Of course they are, with parts in the USA having the some off-beat humidity too! Successful builds in all areas, but wherever you are, be it Alaska in the winter at 10% relative humidity, or Louisiana on the shore at 75-85%, you probably should have some way of stabilizing that humidity to "normal" 40-50% before you undertake a project with wood that creates a musical instrument that "stability" depends on. If not, let the buyer be aware that special concerns will be necessary, over and above what they would normally do, otherwise serious problems may result.

You can't treat an instrument built in 75-90% RH like you would an instrument built in 40-50%, which is fairly standard for guitar builders all over the world.

This is something the OP refuses to either admit, or believe. You make up your own mind.

Edit: Would someone quote me so Etty Old Boy can save face from pretending he's got me on ignore...

• Members

More arch-top controversy.

I bought that guitar to indulge in a Rockabilly fantasy I've had since I was a kid.

I first heard this song on the HBO program, "True Blood". I'm hooked on that

show. It's a Jerry Lee Lewis song, "Before the Night is Over". I've learned the theme

"Bad Things" too. But I'll play keys on it when I post it. It's actually better than this.

But I kind of like this. Let me know what you think. Mr. Binh's arch-top sounds EXACTLY right.

HvDie6qrDc8

I'm playing everything you hear except drums. I played the piano, bass, & cheezy organ. I am cheezy-organ royalty.

And I couldn't play Jerry Lee Lewis' piano part. So I faked it on the organ.

• Members

I'm playing everything you hear except drums. I played the piano, bass, & cheezy organ. I am cheezy-organ royalty.

And I couldn't play Jerry Lee Lewis' piano part. So I faked it on the organ.

I'm hip to the rockabilly stuff...I'm studying Setzers work on the "stray cat strut".:)

I love my archtop for grinding out hot groove progressions.

I'm liking the dirty acoustic blues a bit as well.

• Members

Yeah, you're right. I have a 'Lounge' streak a mile wide in my guitar-playing

and my compositions. And the pick-up has that smooth tone.

But I don't like Tele's in Rockabilly unless James Burton is playing.

This song is more R&B than lounge. The original recording is a duet

between Jerry Lee Lewis & BB King. My orchestration is a Hell of a lot

different from the original.

But my whole thing with an arch-top, is the Rockabilly fantasy I have.

Scottie Moore, Cliff Gallup, Bill Haley et al.

• Members

Scotty Moore played Gibson electric hollow bodies mostly - the ES295, L5 and Super 400.

Cliff Gallup played a Gretch Duo Jet. I think it was solid.

Not sure about Bill Haley. Pics look like a Gibson hollowbody of some kind.

None of these were archtops.

• Members

Scotty Moore played Gibson electric hollow bodies mostly - the ES295, L5 and Super 400.

Cliff Gallup played a Gretch Duo Jet. I think it was solid.

Not sure about Bill Haley. Pics look like a Gibson hollowbody of some kind.

None of these were archtops.

The L5 isn't an arch-top?

Maybe I'm mistaken. I thought if a guitar had an arched carved top,

it was an arch-top. I'd call the L5 & the Super 400 arch-tops using that criterion.

You're right about Cliff Gallup though.

BlueCaps1stWCMSpix.jpg

One of Scottie Moore's L5's.

0scotty.jpg

Listening to mine on the video, the p'up almost makes it sound like a Fender Jazzmaster solid body. That's pretty cool too - AFAIC.

The Jazzmaster is maybe the only solid body elec. guitar I'd want to own.

• Members

I had stumble across this forum back in March. I was searching for a Vietnamese Luthier because my wife was going back to Vietnam to get some dental work done and it seemed like the perfect opprotunity to get a custom made guitar. Well after reading this thread, seeing the pictures of Mr. Binh's Guitar factory it was settled... I was going to have Mr. Binh make me one of my own.. well here it is:

(That's Mr. Binh at my wife's-Uncle's house in "Saigon" when he had delivered my guitar. I was on Skype at the time and had asked Mr. Binh to play something. He played Hotel California and I was sitting halfway around the world in Maryland.. it's was pretty exciting stuff!)

• Members

Here's some more Pictures of the guitar... I was wondering did anyone else have a hard time bringing a guitar thru the Vietnamese customs? Well my wife had to pay a total of $234 between the baggage handlers and airline bribes (borderline extortion fees) in order to bring it on the plane.

• Members

The L5 isn't an arch-top?

Maybe I'm mistaken. I thought if a guitar had an arched carved top,

it was an arch-top. I'd call the L5 & the Super 400 arch-tops using that criterion.

You're right about Cliff Gallup though.

BlueCaps1stWCMSpix.jpg

One of Scottie Moore's L5's.

0scotty.jpg

Listening to mine on the video, the p'up almost makes it sound like a Fender Jazzmaster solid body. That's pretty cool too - AFAIC.

The Jazzmaster is maybe the only solid body elec. guitar I'd want to own.

YOu could be right, they do have raised tops but I think of them more as hollow body electrics. Always thought of arch tops as jazz boxes. Maybe its the pickups that make the difference? In any event, I agree they were all hell of players. Even Jeff Beck did a tribute album to Cliff Gallup.

• Members

Here's some more Pictures of the guitar... I was wondering did anyone else have a hard time bringing a guitar thru the Vietnamese customs? Well my wife had to pay a total of $234 between the baggage handlers and airline bribes (borderline extortion fees) in order to bring it on the plane.

No. I have never had to pay one dime (or one Vietnam Dong). Are you talking about taking it OUT of Vietnam?

Did you check it baggage? I always do.

Are you sure the airline did not charge you for having over-weight baggage?

I always bring a guitar back. I have never paid anything. But once I was

overweight on baggage and had to pay $125.

I'm sorry folks. I'm going to bump my video. I think I laid down a pretty good

mix here. Mixer ran straight into my Canon FS-200 video camera.

Organ, bass, drums, piano via synth module -->Yamaha MG16/6FX mixer

Arch-top -->Roland AC60 amp.

AC60 amp-->mixer

Vocal mic -->Joe Meek pre-amp

JoeMeek--> mixer (I'm not satisfied w/the sound of the vx. That's the

weakest part of the recording. I sang it ok. But you don't hear the FX and

it distorts here & there.)

Mixer -->video camera.

Binh's guitar son parfait.

HvDie6qrDc8

I've got to learn how to use my Vegas video editing software.

But that camera makes nice audio recordings.

• Members

I'm going to Vietnam myself in October for some dental work and tattoo removal and guess what...? /.... Yes,,, another guitar from Mr. Binh! I'm excited.. But my wife is not too thrilled about me going thru the Vietnamese Customs over there.. This might seem strange to people but when your vietnamese and have been living in the States for the majority of your life, you stick out like a sore thumb in Vietnam, the locals just seem to know your not from there and try to take advantage of you.

• Members

That guitar will sound very special. I have a IR/Cedar top jumbo from his shop.

It's the best-sounding flat-top I own. The strum is sheer velvet. I've never

heard a name-brand guitar sound like it.

I recommend that combination IR/Cedar or Maple/Spruce when it comes to VN guitars.

They really have a special sound. The Mahogany guitars or the Rosewood-Spruce sound like other guitars I've heard.

But the IR/Cedar & Maple/Spruce guitars over here -- really stand out.

• Members

That guitar will sound very special. I have a IR/Cedar top jumbo from his shop.

It's the best-sounding flat-top I own. The strum is sheer velvet. I've never

heard a name-brand guitar sound like it.

I recommend that combination IR/Cedar or Maple/Spruce when it comes to VN guitars.

They really have a special sound. The Mahogany guitars or the Rosewood-Spruce sound like other guitars I've heard. But the IR/Cedar & Maple/Spruce

guitars over here -- really stand out.

I was wondering.... are the top of your frets on your guitars flat or domed?

• Members

I believe its Red Cedar Top, Rosewood back and sides.. and as to the sound.. It's.. Punchy with a deep woody tone.. very nice! I had him model it after the Taylor 812ce
(Notice the inlay work!) I sent him a picture of the inlay design off of the 812ce.

From the way you say it sounds perfect.

Do you have the shop's exact address or his phone number? I've been living here for 5 years now and didn't know the place existed. I'll have to pick one up on my own.

• Members

Yes, it's for sale! I had paid Mr. Binh $450 to make this guitar and it cost me $234 to bring it over to the states. I'm looking to get around $750 obo for it w/leather case.. if anyone out there would like more pictures or have questions.. email me kaizoogi@gmail.com. I'm looking to sell it before I go back in October!

Archived