CBS Masterworks guitars...

zenbu

• Members

anybody own one? I looked around the web and theres very little on them so I`ve asked at a few sites to see iffin any one has something to add to whats already known. I have a shot at a classical type and am looking for a little info.

:wave:

• Members

alrightythen...guess I`ll just have to show youse what the one I`m gonna get later this week looks like...seller`s pics...even if it turns out to be a POS for $50.oo the tuners look to be in good shape. Info around the web, what little there is, and from pics of the lables they were made by Kazuo Yairi...though the label I saw was different from this one...still, looks to be in very good condition and I`ll get those fackin steel strings off of it, in fact gonna ask the seller to remove em before shipping...

neoueda-img600x404-1242019777xs6ysp.jpg

neoueda-img600x400-1242019787sdsrss.jpg

neoueda-img600x400-1242019796yxt4vr.jpg

• Members

I did...whats a matter I`m not speaking clearly? Maybe my English ain`t what it used to be after so many years teaching stuff like...THIS is A pen...THESE are penS...to PhDs in astrophysics.

• Members

anybody own one? I looked around the web and theres very little on them so I`ve asked at a few sites to see iffin any one has something to add to whats already known. I have a shot at a classical type and am looking for a little info.

:wave:

Out of the same curiosity I checked and it would seem CBS owned Fender between 1965 and 1985. The little I gleaned from the short search is CBS was not putting out the quality so Fender bought the company back. The Yairi name has popped up on a couple other, older forum threads asking basically the same questions you ask. I dunno. Never heard of CBS until now, myself. You might be paying top buck or getting the deal of a life-time, though I think the former is probably closer to the truth.

All these guitars you're collecting ... is this like a coin collecting hobby for you? Where the heck do you store them all? Do you play them? Been meaning to ask but thought it none of my business. Still isn't, just curious.

• Members

planning on bringing many of the old nylons home and selling them to my fellow Canadians. I have sold over 20 electrics over the past year on line here and I send guitars home as Christmas gifts to my nephew and his dad.

I will withhold judgement on the masterworks until I at least see it, but thats just me.

• Members

considering how little I pay for many, I`ll pass that onto potential buyers...shipping will add to the cost but otherwise plans are to keep prices more than reasonable. And if I never sell any well, I`ll have a place full of fabulous guitars to keep me amused. The economic situation may not conducive to selling right now but it sure is a great time to build inventory.

• Members

OK...got the guitar and it is truely a POS, will not waste a set of new strings on it, the hang tag has no info on the builder...I think whoever made it didn`t want their name associated with the guitar, one thong though...it is in remarkable condition...looks unplayed...probably because nobody wanted to. Tuners are in real nice shape though. It would make a fine childs first guitar and I just may give it to my brother in laws eldest daughter, but otherwise I wouldn`t ber caught dead playing it. Still, I`ve been incredibly lucky with old MIJ acoustics so an occasional lemon I can live with.

• Members

OK...got the guitar and it is truely a POS, will not waste a set of new strings on it, the hang tag has no info on the builder...
I think whoever made it didn`t want their name associated with the guitar
, one thong though...it is in remarkable condition...looks unplayed...probably because nobody wanted to. Tuners are in real nice shape though. It would make a fine childs first guitar and I just may give it to my brother in laws eldest daughter, but otherwise I wouldn`t ber caught dead playing it. Still, I`ve been incredibly lucky with old MIJ acoustics so an occasional lemon I can live with.

LOL. Sorry the deal didn't turn out better. I guess the threads I read about poor quality from CBS were understated. If you think it's that bad are you sure gifting it to someone you know is a good idea?

• Members

yeah I`ll talk to my wife about it...but her niece has a 3 year old sister and if she steps on the guitar it wouldn`t be a great loss. There are pics around the web sites of other Masterworks with K.Yairi labels on them so not all are junk...so I took one for the team...let this be a lesson...if you`re...we`re...gonna but a Masterworks, make sure it`s one with K.Yairi on the label.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

zenbu

I own a 40 year old CBS Masterworks Limited Edition Dreadnought (12 only) which I purchased at Burlington Sound (Burlington, Ontario) back in l973, for $880. It was made by Kazuo Yairi. Spruce top, mahogany sides, 3-piece cherrywood back, German brass heads, and as much abalone as a Martin D35. Great action, and a clear, rich sound that's remarkably loud. The only dumb feature was an adjustable bridge, which eventually split the saddle. I had it removed in Edmonton, Alberta in l982 by Frank Gay, who replaced the saddle, and estimated the guitar to be worth somewhere between 2 and 3 grand in the market at the time. He said that it was one of the best factory made guitars he'd ever played.

In my many travels, musical and geographical, I've never come across another. In fact, I've never come across any CBS Masterwork models, so I can't be of much help to you. All I can say is that, if your guitar is anywhere near the quality of this one, it was a steal at 50 bucks.

The info is correct--made by Kazuo Yairi who worked for Guild, which was acquired by Fender, which in turn was acquired by CBS. Also correct, almost impossible to find out anything about these guitars.

Coastal

• Members

Last post in July of 2009. Geez! You'd think these clowns could be more creative.

Time for the usual public service announcement:

This alleged 'new member' on Harmony Central has revived an old thread instead of simply starting a new thread and saying 'hello' or asking a question, like the overwhelming majority of genuine 'new members' do. He will likely only post once, but he may make three or four posts, and then he will not be heard from again.

He could be in the employ of the management of Harmony Central, Guitar Center, Musician's Friend, or perhaps Lithium. Possibly trying to promote the appearance of activity on an otherwise dead forum. Possibly trying to falsely inflate the member count, the post count, and the hit count on the major search engines. It's called Shilling. Zager used to do it. Remember Zager???

Of course he could simply be some dork from GJ, or the Political Potty, just having fun trolling.

• Members

Excuse me, non participants are not allowed on the set.  Do you have the required pass?  If so, please wear it around your neck on the lanyard provided by the studio, otherwise we'll have to call security, one of whom posted above.  And let me tell you, this guy doesn't like being separated from his donut and coffee, so it better be legit.

• 6 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived