Crafter SA/SAT and other T5 options?

dres_x

• Members

I played (and fell in love) with a Taylor T5...but it's wayyyyyyyy out of my price range so I was looking at other options. Seems to me like the Crafter SA/SAT series fits the bill, but I can't find any dealers around me to try one out. Any owners out there who can chime in with their experiences?

sa_tmbk_large.jpg

• Members

I've played both the SA and SAT models. Lovely, well-made, top quality instruments. Obviously the acoustic sound is not as good as a traditional acoustic but, nevertheless, not bad. They really come into their own when they are amplified - you can get some great sounds using either the magnetic pickup or UST transducer or a combination of the two. Which one you go for depends on your preference of the pickup mix - I think on balance I preferred the SA model. More info here:

http://www.crafterguitars.com/galler...ic/sa_qmos.php

http://www.crafterguitars.com/galler...ic/sat_mgd.php

You can buy them here:

http://gearhounds.com/crafter-sa-qmo...ted-maple.aspx

http://gearhounds.com/crafter-sa-sat...ic-guitar.aspx

Here is a pic of an SAT:

sat_m_gd_large.jpg

• Members

I had the SA but sold it a couple of years ago. I would recommend the instrument. The only issue with it is the sustain. It is more like an electric in that regard. Even though the guitar played and sound great, I could not get used to the increased sustain that is typical of electrics. Now I have been playing electric for a while and wish I had it back....

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I just received a new Crafter SAT-QMOS I purchased on eBay for $699.00 on a Buy it now offer, was surprised they took it. Only issue is that on the bridge piezo pickup you can barely hear the B and E strings, I have electric 10s on the guitar and had it setup @ Guitar Center. It plays great and the P90 sounds great, the combination also is good but with the bridge acoustic pickup on only it does not pickup the highest two strings. Any ideas?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GSprunk View Post
I just received a new Crafter SAT-QMOS I purchased on eBay for $699.00 on a Buy it now offer, was surprised they took it. Only issue is that on the bridge piezo pickup you can barely hear the B and E strings, I have electric 10s on the guitar and had it setup @ Guitar Center. It plays great and the P90 sounds great, the combination also is good but with the bridge acoustic pickup on only it does not pickup the highest two strings. Any ideas?
From your description of the problem I would offer two possibilities:

1. The UST is damaged. This is unlikely but it can happen. To find out, loosen off the strings and take out the saddle. With the the guitar plugged into the amp, gently tap along the length of the UST. If there is no sound (or a big reduction in sound) at the spots where the E and B strings sit, you have a damaged UST. Not a big problem - you can replace it.

2. More likely someone has removed the saddle and sanded some off the base to adjust the action. They may have done a bad job and now the contact between either the UST and saddle base (or UST and slot - or both of these) is poor. Best fix for this is to place a thin shim of self-hardening clay in both positions. This will fill any voids and cure the problem - this works very well. The procedure has been described onthe forum in the past so do a search.

PS. The Crafter SAT is a great guitar - I'm envious.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

I just received my new SAT yesterday, fantastic value at less than 300euros, but it has the same problem as GSprunk. The action was a little high so I decided to remove the saddle. I tested the UST as suggested and it worked fine all along its length, The underside of the saddle was absolutely flat, but I shaved 1mm. off. On rebuilding, action is now brilliant but the acoustic mode is still weak on the top E and B strings. Did the selfcuring clay work? ....or is there another solution? The guitar works absolutely spot on unplugged, or with the P90 so I am reluctant to ship it back for replacement etc.

• Members

I have the SAT-tmvs (I'm actually selling it, but not because its bad) Its actually an amazing guitar but a friend is giving me an acoustic (my main type of playing) and the intended Hendrix-esque soloing I was going to learn and utilise never happened and now I need cash so alas it must go. I played a T5 when I was looking at these and this did acoustic sounds better than the Taylor. You wont regret buying one, they are excellent guitars as are all crafters. I've had another one which was also amazing! Good luck!

• 6 years later...
  • Members
On 11/25/2012 at 9:54 PM, GSprunk said:

You have to use bronze strings (they actually make hybrid guitar strings). This is why they're a little dead. But you can also blend in the humbucker, which is what I do on my Godin A6. 

Archived