Cloudy finish

JEFF-B

• Members

I don't think there's any way to do it. The cloudiness is usually under the finish caused by dampnes that has seeped through from the inside.

I had a guitar with this same cloudiness on the back. I might also mention that this guitar had been stored in a lower level closet for about 10 years untouched. May have drawn dampness from being in there for so long locked up in a tight case.

I tried just about every commercial product on the market to no avail. I eventually sold that guitar, but it wasn't due to the cloudiness. Fortunately, it was only a "$200 guitar", so not a big deal. It was just time for it to go.

• Members

JEFF-B wrote:

Is there a way to remove the cloudiness from a finish with a polyurethane coat? I suspect it has to do with improper wood treatment during construction and/or heat/humidity stress. I think not but maybe there is a way. Thx. Jeff B

First, a few questions.   Is this a factory finish?     When you say "polyurethane" - how do you know that and what kind of poly (air cured, catalyzed - if so what kind)?     Is the entire finish cloudy or just spots?   Does it appear to be on the surface or at the wood level or within the finish itself?   Why do you think the wood was improperly treated (most factories treat their wood properly)?    What kind of heat or humidity stress has the guitar been subject to?    Do you know if it was ever shipped in a cold time of the year and taken directly into a warm room (and opened)?  Have you used any cleaners or polished on the finish?

Depending on some of the answers above I might suggest using micromesh or polishing compounds with a buffer, but that might also make it worse.

• Members

It's a old yamaha LD-10. All I have to go on is the yamaha Internet site since this was an online purchase reason being I'm never going to buy a perfect LD-10 and a flawed one is better than nothing. This is the same guitar I posted pic of the top separation so I suspect it has suffered heat stress or low humidity at some point. It looks to be underneath the finish and it is all over the guitar in equal proportions. I don't think it can be fixed although I am going to be more aggressive about it than I would with my Martin D41.

• Members

JEFF-B wrote:

Is there a way to remove the cloudiness from a finish with a polyurethane coat? I suspect it has to do with improper wood treatment during construction and/or heat/humidity stress. I think not but maybe there is a way. Thx. Jeff B

Sometimes it's the simple answers that work.  Be sure it's not just build up from previous polishes.  Some of these 3 step polish kits can go awry and leave layers of polish that's difficult to remove.

• 7 years later...
  • Members

Hi Jeff-B,

How did the naptha and Meguiars work out for you? I have a Yamaha APX-10D with a cloudy finish all over and I'm hoping to find a solution to it. So far, lemon oil doesn't work. I tried it for 48 hours with no sign of change.

• Members
10 hours ago, Paul42 said:

Hi Jeff-B,

How did the naptha and Meguiars work out for you? I have a Yamaha APX-10D with a cloudy finish all over and I'm hoping to find a solution to it. So far, lemon oil doesn't work. I tried it for 48 hours with no sign of change.

Unfortunately, if Jeff-B tried naphtha and Meguiars it was seven years ago. He hasn't even been around since December, 2013. That's how old this thread is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Members

I just pulled my acoustic guitar out of its case after sitting for about a year.  I agree the problem is definitely under the finish! Because after playing it for about 2 hours it wasn’t the whole guitar that was hazy, but specifically where the heat from my body was became un-hazed. I’m inspecting it for any nick or crack assuming moisture may have been able to creep it’s way in? Now I’m thinking reading other comments that as a whole, if the wood inside was not sealed, even though it was in a case, moisture or heat fluctuation is the culprit! I live near the beach and humidity is always up.