Don't laugh...anyone have a CARLOS acoustic?

centuryhouse

• Members

Write your Pop a song. "Dumpster Divin' Daddy". Sweet find. Always amazed at what people throw away.

I bought a Carlos tenor guitar in Northern Va in the late 70's. Brass nut, saddle, dots. Cool. Sitting right here as I write. Thought it might need a neck reset, but the bridge is mondo high and I think I can lower it sufficiantly so it plays well again. Lam spruce top, lam hog sides. So cheap it had a clear plastic sticker that said Carlos instead of a decal or silk screen logo. Just kinda rolled up and fell off. Can't say it's much more than a very decent cheapo. Though the fact that it's held together in good shape for 30 years says a lot in my book.

• Members

OK. Took the strings off. Workmanship inside is fairly splooge free. The braces are heavy, but well shaped. But the heel block, while contacting the back, only runs up to the bass side of the top. It drops away at an angle and is about half an inch from reaching the top on the treble side. It looks like the holes for the strings were not drilled all the way through, or there was a mismatch in lining up the bridge and bridge plate. The solution was to hit the pins with a bigger hammer. So the bridge plate is shredded, splintered. Very, very bad. I think Carlos was one of those companies that contracted good guitars until they had a market share with distributors and retailers, then pulled the old bait and switch and shipped a bunch of crap, making an obscene profit.

While mine is not the worst built guitar I've ever seen, the shortcuts taken were crude and brutal. Looks good, sounds pretty good, but it would have ben built better by drunken monkeys.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Hey about That Carlos you purchased- i recently aquired one as a gift from a teacher of mine. it is VERY old- must be late 60s. it sounds incredible in my opinion, someone left it in my highschool choir room several years ago and i figured i could buy it for cheap. but, as a reward for playing bass in a school musical, he said he'd give it to me. happy day:) the guitar itself isn't in the greatest condition- the bridge pegs are all different colors, the finish is almost completely worn off of the fretboard, but it sounds great. hope this helps!

- Evan Taylor

(August Rush):thu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have had this Carlos acoustic for 30 years now. It has maintained a beautiful shine and incredible "bright" sound since I first learned to play "Smoke on the Water" on it at 17 yrs old. I can sit this guitar in its case and find it perfectly in tune a year later. I did replace the tuning keys myself about 20 years ago. This guitar is great and priceless to me I have owned a Yamaha and still have an Ovation but they can't touch my Carlos.

• Members

Don't laugh - not an expensive or reputable brand. As a matter of fact there are NO CARLOS guitars on ebay OR listed at Harmony Central in the reivew database - not one.

Now bear in mind I have owned nearly 150 guitars (maybe more) in the last 15 years, including many Gibsons, Taylor, Ibanez, Washburn, etc. I know my guitars pretty well. That said, I bought a CARLOS II model 240K acoustic 6 string at lunch today from a pawnshop for $50.

It's Korean made, probably late 70s I'm guessing. It has what appears to be *original* brass nut, brass bridge/saddle and instead of pearloid dot inlays it has actual brass studs inlayed. Despite needing some serious work on the action and a truss rod adjustment, and the strings being ancient, the guitar actually had a good sound and feel. I'll be working on it tonight when I get off work and then can give a real assesment. But initially, I think it's going to be a great guitar.

A web search revealed that several recording studios have CARLOS acoustics on hand for recording, but other than that I found nothing online. Can anyone tell me anything? If you have one how old is it, and does it suck? Is it just oK? Is is good?

Thanks,

Daniel

I own a Carlos 12 string I bought from a pal for $75 back in the mid-90s (don't know what he paid). It's held up pretty well and has a decent, slightly boomy/ringy sound.

My one serious issue with the guitar is the string spacing imposed by the (plastic) nut. The individual strings in the pairs are too far apart [for my tastes], and the spaces between the six pairs are not wide enough -- in other words, the strings aren not 'bunched up' into pairs enough... It's too possible to be fretting and only hit one of the strings in a pair or to misfinger onto the wrong pair.

As a consuence, I mostly use it for slide playing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I bought a Carlos model 200 12 String in a Pawn Shop in TX in the late 70's - still have it and am about to do a minor restoration - the shell is in good condition, but the tuning pegs have been a problem for years, so I am going to put some quality pegs on - it always has had a great sound. I think I paid $50 for it - there was also a 6 string - should have bought it too maybe.....:confused:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I have an old beater of a six string Carlos that has actually held up better than a much nicer Seagull that I bought back in 1999. I purchased my old Carlos back in 1983 (maybe it was made in 1982?), and it has survived stage, hard-drinking, bongwater, and general abuse. To this day it still projects nicely.

I love the brass, and for an el-cheapo guitar, I wouldn't part with it without a lot of persuasion.

My Seagull six string developed a nasty crack at the head, plays well enough, but it is a problem. "Carlos" is still my buddy after 26 years.

Unbelievable I suppose.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

My mom bought my Carlos back in 1985 at a music store in Garden Grove, CA, for roughly $100. It's a Carlos 240S, made in Korea. I didn't play it much, so it literally has laid dorment in it's case for nearly 20 years. Recently, I sarted playing it, and I love it. It's been revarnished and droped a few times, but for what it's worth, it's a great sounding guitar. A friend of mine, who ownes a Martin dreadnaught of some sort, played the guitar and was quite surprised by the projection of sound. I lowered the saddle and placed some John Pearse light gauge strings, and it plays beautifully. Here's a website that has a little more info on the distributor as well as a few pictures of the purchase catalog. Have fun with this little gem!

http://thejetmedic.com/carlosguitars.aspx

• Members

I've got a carlos that I've had for years... It had Trump on the headstock but once I peeled that sticker off it said Carlos it still has a Trump sticker inside the sound hole....It was my first guitar and the bridge pulled off I refinished it and reglued the bridge back....sounds ok not great just ok...ever heard of Trump???

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

how about a carlos e291cb it is an acoustic electric thin hollow body that is from 2.5 to 3 inches thick on the main body.[ATTACH]300750[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]300751[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]300752[/ATTACH]

you can go to this site to get retail value of your carlos cost os 3.99 per price http://www.usedprice.com/

here is my report:

TYPE: Acoustic Guitar

MODEL: E291C ACOUSTIC/ELEC THIN LINE CUT

MANUFACTURER: CARLOS GUITARS DIST by KAMAN MUSIC CORP

YEAR: 1988

Item Pricing

MSRP Price :370.00

Used Retail Price: 164.18-200.66

Mint Trade In Price : 101.79-124.41

Avg Trade In Price : 63.11-77.13

Spacer

Description

N/A

Important Information

The used prices are derived from dealer surveys gathered nationwide. Dealers are asked to provide the "selling price" and "days to sell". The used price is then calculated based on what an average store could sell the product for in 30 days or less. The price has proven to be an accurate reflection of the actual marketplace. The data is also reviewed by various dealers, pawnbrokers and online sellers that make up our Board of Advisors who are selected for their expertise in used equipment.

Definition of Price Categories

MSRP

(List Price) Manufacturer's Suggested Selling Price. This value represents the most recent manufacturer's suggested selling price. It does not represent any discounts applied.

Advertised: The price the item was sold for in a retail store at the time the item was considered new.

Used Retail

Dealers, Resellers - Used Retail is what you would sell the item for.

Consumers - This is what you would pay a pawn store, dealer or reseller. In most cases this is the price that you would insure your item for.

Trade in Mint and Average: Dealers, Resellers - Trade In is what you would buy the item for.

Consumers - Trade In is what you would sell your item to a pawn store, dealer or reseller for.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I owned a Carlos many, many years ago. I think I inherited it from a friend or family member. It was a big blonde boomy guitar that sounded pretty good. From what I heard they are sort of large in size with a wider and thicker than average neck for loud, rhythmic flamenco style guitar playing. Not really a "gentle" guitar. I have only seen one or two since...

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I have my dad's old carlos guitar, it's the only thing that my sister let me have of his stuff when he passed away. He played in a local band back in Illionis during the late 60's early 70's. the guitar model is I think pg-267. The band even cut an 45' covering House of the Rising Sun. hopefully I will have it restored. I don't play but am planning on learning. and maybe someday I will play my dad's old guitar. the guitar looks to be either an 4 or 5 string. any info anyone may have on it let me know. don't let the music die Debbie

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I knew a gal who gigged locally with a 66 Goya, that I had never heard of, she was real hi on it, one thing that i know, the gal had a great ear for music, sounded great ampliphied

Jim

Hey everybody,Im new here.Cool sight!

I like your scripture,Jim.

I recently picked up a Carlos grand concert style at a swap shop.Like so many,I never heard of them before,and thought they were probably some cheap junker.But when I saw all the brass hardware and the heavy duty bracing,I thought it was worth checking out for 45 bucks.The only cheap part of the ax were the machines,which I changed along with a new set of strings.Great sound and playability and excelent intonation.It doesn't have the bass of the bigger models Im sure but excellent balance.I also discoverd in church Sunday that it sounds great miked.Im happy.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Yeah i have a Carlos 240 guitar. I found it lying up against a sign post in my area as if for the trash and it was missing all but 2 strings, the pegs were breaking, the lower 2 knobs for tuning on the head are missing and it was dusty as all hell but other then that it was in perfect condition. I cleaned it up, bought strings, got the pegs, still looking for the knobs and the brass screws for the body area, apparently the previous owner improvised some steel crap screw and bolt and even put it so the threads were exposed. This thing was a pain to tune, finnally got it and now its not tuned becuz of the strings being new and all. but im looking to refurbish it a bit and maybe even sell it. if i find a buyer. I tried my hand at guitar and im not to good. besides this things a pain for me to tune because everything is off since the metal bolts. Also if anyone has any good info where I can find parts around the area of islip in ny, let me know thanks.

• Members

I dunno. Doesn't seem like it would give a troll much satsfaction.

If it's not a troll, there certainly a lot of these guitars turning up. I guess it's no surprise. As a cheap Pac-Rim import there's probably thousands in closets and in basements. After 30-40 years it's time Johnny's old guitar goes to the yard sale.