opinions on Xaviere acoustic/larger general question on cedar top acoustic ribbon transducer

hangwire

• Members

Please take a look here:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Cutaway-Acoustic-Electric-Solid-Cedar-Top-Bubinga-back-and-sides-_p_4318.html

I am interested in getting an acoustic similiar to Kim Deal's breeders tone.  In interveiws she points out that the pickup/electronics is more important than the guitar itself and she plays a Seagull s6 i think... but getting info on the various models that seem to have different specs that are all labeled s6 through the years has been a little confusing.  

What I can tell is it had a LR Baggs ribbon transducer pickup with a cedar top... so i am looking for less expensive options with these features... which the above Xaviere guitar fits wood wise...I cant find any info on ribbon transducer cedar top acoustics currently available...

thanks for help and responses.

• Members

I have never heard of this brand before - No one can even guess what this guitar plays like

nor of its quality -- from my experience - my educated guess is that this is a poor quality instrument .

You get what you pay for ( in most cases )

You need good bones as a good start - i dont get this feeling from this instrument .

look for something like an old Guild D-25 , then start playing with electronics .

• Members

A few humble thoughts.   First - good quality pickup systems with on board preamps (Fishman Matrix, etc) typically run 150 to 200 bucks by themselves -if you are getting a guitar thown in either the guitar or the pup or both are pretty compromized.

Second, unamplified, cedar tends to have a warm mellow tone and does not change with time.   It has become fairly popular on classical guitars, is slowly getting a following with steel strings.   Seagull uses it on several of their guitars and get good results with it.   It is much more delicate than spruce - you need to be careful not to damage it.

Third, I'm of the belief that most under saddle or bridge plate pickups do not capture the essence of the acoustic tone.   I've installed several UST's of various brand, mostly in Martins, and find that the plugged sound is quite different than the unplugged.   Then you (or your sound guy) can further color the sound with all the things in the signal chain so the guitar has less effect than you might think.

Lastly, the laminated back and sides probably have very little effect on the tone - acoustically or plugged.   Choose it if you like the looks.

My suggestion is always to buy a guitar that you like the acoustic sound, then add a pickup system that fits your needs.

• Members

Tony Burns wrote:

I have never heard of this brand before - No one can even guess what this guitar plays like

nor of its quality -- from my experience - my educated guess is that this is a poor quality instrument .

You get what you pay for ( in most cases )

You need good bones as a good start - i dont get this feeling from this instrument .

look for something like an old Guild D-25 , then start playing with electronics .

the guild d-25 is a cedar top guitar?

Archived