Have you ever seen this brand of guitar before

Invader.CC

• Members

I bought this guitar roughly about a year ago..I paid a whopping $100 bucks for it..I have researched and researched and goggled and then did it again looking for info on it..So now i turn to you..

Inside the top F hole it does say Made in Korea...Distributed by Wolf Imports St Louis Missouri..I do not know much about wood types but my best guess it is a spruce top with a Mahogany neck..It is a resign side and bottom guitar much like an Ovation and at its widest is maybe 4 inches..The headstock has a shape alot like a Telecaster and the lettering reads JDS..The tuners are enclosed and hold tune excellent..

It has built in EQ and volume control with both bass and treble boost built in..It is an excellent playing and sounding guitar..Although it does have the Dread naught tone...It lack the deep bottom end of a dread naught..I have found that it is an excellent stage guitar and is best used for the blues it just seems like a natural Blues playing guitar..

I don't really care about cost ..I have no plans to sell it..I'm just trying to solve my natural curiosity about this great playing and sounding guitar..mygear046-1.jpg

• Members

Being that its made in Korea, I would think its a guitar someone had build to spec to see if the design was worth pursuing. Wolf Imports is probably like any number of stores that want a brand name guitar of their own...not unlike the Penco('73) I own that was built to spec for Philadelphia music company.

The important part is......do you like it?

If you do, it really doesn't matter. Enjoy it.

• Members

Being that its made in Korea, I would think its a guitar someone had build to spec to see if the design was worth pursuing. Wolf Imports is probably like any number of stores that want a brand name guitar of their own...not unlike the Penco('73) I own that was built to spec for Philadelphia music company.

The important part is......do you like it?

If you do, it really doesn't matter. Enjoy it.

I agree about the important part ..The reason im searching so hard is i would like to have another one...This one not only is a very nice stage guitar but is also my main practice guitar when i'm on the road..It has tons of hotel and rented space use on it so it is constantly being moved bounced around and going in and out of fridged cold to a warm hotel room on a daily basis ..I don't think i will have any problems for a few more years ...But i would like to have another just in case....

• Members

I agree about the important part ..The reason im searching so hard is i would like to have another one...This one not only is a very nice stage guitar but is also my main practice guitar when i'm on the road..It has tons of hotel and rented space use on it so it is constantly being moved bounced around and going in and out of fridged cold to a warm hotel room on a daily basis ..I don't think i will have any problems for a few more years ...
But i would like to have another just in case

I'll see what I can come up with....I know a few experts (colllectors) on the subject. You might want to call ?Wolf Imports in St.Louis and ask them directly. They may still be in business and can give you the scoop.

• Members

I have tried to contact Wolf imports they have been sold to St Louis Music..Which is now defuncted also..They have been opened up under a new name..So i sent the new company a Email about it including pics and they have no record of it...So i'm forced to try to find it on the used market...

• 4 years later...
  • Members

I have an Acoustic/ Electric form the early 1990's. Love it as well. Here is the info I found: "JDS Instruments previously built in Asia. Distributed by Wolf Imports in St. Louis, MO. --- JDS Limited Edition instruments are medium quality acoustic and solid body electric guitars that feature designs based on popular American classics."

• 4 years later...
  • Members

I own a guitar with the JDS logo, Made in Indonesia, from Wolf Imports in St Louis. I received it from my parents as a Christmas gift in 1993. It was purchased at a music shop in St Louis, but my mother doesn't recall the name of the store. Mine is an acoustic 6 string, no pickups, sunburst color (think John Lennon's Gibson in A Hard Days Night movie). It's an amazing instrument. It has held up very well in the last 25 years. The sound is spectacular. I would love to know more about this brand. My brother owns the exact same guitar. Otherwise, I've never seen another one in person.

• Members

i'm based in Thailand and there are seemingly Ovation clones with numberless brand names here in every small guitar stall all over. Ovation really screwed up by not going after those firms decades ago. Better than Pearl River guitars... easier to make plastic back than fitting wood. About as good as could hope for in a very inexpensive guitar.

I would suggest you try to avoid as much thermal shock as possible. Wood and plastic react differently to temperature changes. That is true of genuine Ovations as much as off brands. Splitting & separating tops can't help the tone...

seems it would be difficult to get much bottom in 4" thick guitar (am sure someone has one that thick with good bottom that would refute that)

Anyhow, if you like it and plays well, good for you. That's probably what most of us look for in a guitar regardless of price.

• Members
this is a bit of a zombie thread' date=' but if you want more info, try the importer: [i']Wolf Imports[/i]. 10380 Page Industrial Blvd. St. Louis , MO 63132. (800) 844 -WOLF or (314) 429-3439. FAX: (314) 429-3255.

I don't think Wolf Imports is still around. This interview with the Chairman of St. Louis Music from 2017 mentions him buying Wolf Imports from St. Ann Music and renaming it U.S. Band & Orchestra Supplies Inc. back in 1998 (4th paragraph): http://msretailer.com/mark-ragin-chairman-ceo-st-louis-music/. Their number is supposed to be 314-727-4512 but Yelp says U.S. Band And Orchestra Supplies is closed: https://www.yelp.com/biz/us-band-and-orchestra-supplies-inc-saint-louis. I'm glad Beatlfan66 likes his guitar but it's unlikely there's any information to be had.

• Moderators

yes, probably gone, I only did a quick google, didn't check the links, ans was actually surprised to get a hit, so I surmised the OP [or the resurrector] had not done that ...then again, the OP was way back in 2010...so nearly 9 years has elapsed...zombie thread indeed.

Archived